Can the Republican Party Survive '08?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Soon to be banned
    Reputation: spyderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    14,475

    Can the Republican Party Survive '08?

    Who will save it and why should they?

    Since the Reagan Conservatives are dead, what will the Republican party look like?

    Since Bush doubled our national debt from $4 trillion to $8 trilion in 6 short years, what will our economy look like? BTW, it took 230 years and 42 presidents to amass the original $4 trillion in debt. Can anyone say heck-of-a-job Brownie???
    Last edited by spyderman; 07-12-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

    السلام عليكم

  2. #2
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    24,121
    Of course they can. People have short memories. At most, they'll be in the dog house for 12 years.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  3. #3
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16,998
    The Republican Party is still much larger than the Democratic Party is. A lot of
    Republican politicians have already distanced themselves from George W.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

  4. #4
    Daylight Fading
    Reputation: eyebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,902

    If HIllary gets the nomination, I think that the Repubs will do just fine.

    I also think that '08 will be the year that the Dems organizing efforts will be tested. With 21 Repub Senators up for re-election and the Presidency up for grabs, I would bet that Old Ed is somewhere hunkered down strategizing away. The Dems should smell blood after the '06 results. Things from a PR stand-point have only gotten worse for the Repubs. If the Dems are smart, they'll play up the fact that Giuliani is the front runner. They should keep him there. The religious right won't vote for him, they won't even show up to vote. If the Dems nominate HIllary, it's a whole different story. I think that voter apathy for the Dems willshow and their turnout will be sparse. Nominate Obama, Edwards, Clark, Richardson and they should coast home.

    BT
    "If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts." A. Duritz

  5. #5
    Soon to be banned
    Reputation: spyderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    14,475
    I don't see it...
    Last edited by spyderman; 07-12-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

    السلام عليكم

  6. #6
    Palm trees & sunshine!
    Reputation: KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24,200
    The Republican party base will continue to vote to f*ck themselves and everyone else in the world from now until the day they've actually destroyed everything this country ever stood for and no longer have a vote to cast.


    supervillain

  7. #7
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013

    all while thinking

    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    The Republican party base will continue to vote to f*ck themselves and everyone else in the world from now until the day they've actually destroyed everything this country ever stood for and no longer have a vote to cast.
    they are good patriotic Americans
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  8. #8
    Big is relative
    Reputation: bigbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Fred Thompson will save the party. I just spent the last four days on Maui and if I was sitting, I was drinking. But really, Fred Thompson will run in 08. He is a character actor like Reagan and a past Senator from Tennessee. He has distanced himself from politics for the last several years so he will not be seen as an insider. I would vote for him.
    Retired sailor

  9. #9
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill
    Fred Thompson will save the party. I just spent the last four days on Maui and if I was sitting, I was drinking. But really, Fred Thompson will run in 08. He is a character actor like Reagan and a past Senator from Tennessee. He has distanced himself from politics for the last several years so he will not be seen as an insider. I would vote for him.

    The chances of him running in 07 and or 08 are well under 50/50. If he did run many people would not see him as an Washington and Republican political insider and they would be wrong.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ti-triodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    they are good patriotic Americans



  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,387

    How do you figure that?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker
    The Republican Party is still much larger than the Democratic Party is. A lot of
    Republican politicians have already distanced themselves from George W.
    How do you figure that the republican party is larger? Going by the last election results, I'd say that the democrats have the majority, and going by the last 2 presidential elections, at least amongst voters, it appears evenly split. So I'm not sure where or how the republican party is larger.

    That being said, they'll be back. They've had a rough go of it lately, but things are cyclical I think, especially in the wacky world of politics. Look at how the Congress changed hands in 1994, with promises from the republicans of bringing honestly back, Contracts with America, and things like that. What they failed to do was to actually back up their promises, and as soon as they tasted that good power, they forgot. The democrats now in Congress would be wise indeed to remember what happened to their republican colleagues, and to not repeat their mistakes, and their own mistakes previous to 1994. But, they probably will.

    What would be nice would be for the current crop of democrats in congress to let by gones, be by gones, and to work, or start to work bi-partisanally with the republicans, and let them remember who actually started the harsh divisiveness (in case we've all forgotten, his name is Newt Gingrich) that dominates our political landscape now, and that we can reverse it, and maybe they could actually work for the good of the American people instead of their corporate interests. I am not going to hold my breath, but I can at least hope can't I?

  12. #12
    Palm trees & sunshine!
    Reputation: KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam
    Me thinks you are speaking of the wrong party there Ken. Libs are the people who belly up to the bar with commies and dictators.
    I dunno... last I checked, it was the Pubs who were in bed with Saddam back in the 80s, sold weapons to Iran, supported dictatorships in Central and South America, support totalitarian regimes such as the House of Saud, etc....

    I could be wrong though.


    supervillain

  13. #13
    Soon to be banned
    Reputation: spyderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    14,475
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    How do you figure that the republican party is larger? Going by the last election results, I'd say that the democrats have the majority, and going by the last 2 presidential elections, at least amongst voters, it appears evenly split. So I'm not sure where or how the republican party is larger.

    That being said, they'll be back. They've had a rough go of it lately, but things are cyclical I think, especially in the wacky world of politics. Look at how the Congress changed hands in 1994, with promises from the republicans of bringing honestly back, Contracts with America, and things like that. What they failed to do was to actually back up their promises, and as soon as they tasted that good power, they forgot. The democrats now in Congress would be wise indeed to remember what happened to their republican colleagues, and to not repeat their mistakes, and their own mistakes previous to 1994. But, they probably will.

    What would be nice would be for the current crop of democrats in congress to let by gones, be by gones, and to work, or start to work bi-partisanally with the republicans, and let them remember who actually started the harsh divisiveness (in case we've all forgotten, his name is Newt Gingrich) that dominates our political landscape now, and that we can reverse it, and maybe they could actually work for the good of the American people instead of their corporate interests. I am not going to hold my breath, but I can at least hope can't I?
    Mags, that would be fine if Bush weren't systematically destroying this democracy by:

    Spying on America,

    Committing Treason by exposing the Identity of a Covert CIA operative during a time of war,

    not abiding by the Geneva Conventions by kidnapping and Torturing POWs,

    abolishing the writ of Habeas Corpus,

    perverting our Justice System by threatening the USAs in order to file false charges based on politics, interfering in ongoing investigations like Lam in SD...etc.

    The FBI is abusing the Patriot Act...

    Lying to America on a regular basis...etc.

    How much is too much? Do we continue to sit on the sidelines and pretend this shat isn't going on?
    Last edited by spyderman; 03-18-2007 at 08:21 PM.
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

    السلام عليكم

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: Live Steam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,685
    Me thinks you are speaking of the wrong party there Ken. Libs are the people who belly up to the bar with commies and dictators.

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: Live Steam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,685
    No, the last incidence of immorality by a sitting president was Clinton who sold our national defense secrets to the Chinese for donations to his re-election campaign and probably deposited into private accounts in Switzerland. His wife is now running for that same high office. I wonder what they might try to sell next for personal profit.

  16. #16
    Palm trees & sunshine!
    Reputation: KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam
    No, the last incidence of immorality by a sitting president was Clinton who sold our national defense secrets to the Chinese for donations to his re-election campaign and probably deposited into private accounts in Switzerland. His wife is now running for that same high office. I wonder what they might try to sell next for personal profit.
    Bush has been selling us out to the HoS for the past six years. We know that's where the funding for AQ comes from.


    supervillain

  17. #17
    Soon to be banned
    Reputation: spyderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    14,475
    Mags,

    I hope the extreme divide between parties could eventually be bridged, but the current admin has done absolutely nothing towards these goals. When Bush lied and said he was a uniter, and now he's just "the decider" this country doesn't stand much of a chance in uniting.

    Its the very lies that are destroying this nations democracy.
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

    السلام عليكم

  18. #18

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,387

    Indeed not...

    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    Mags, that would be fine if Bush weren't systematically destroying this democracy by:

    Spying on America,

    Committing Treason by exposing the Identity of a Covert CIA operative during a time of war,

    not abiding by the Geneva Conventions by kidnapping and Torturing POWs,

    abolishing the writ of Habeas Corpus,

    perverting our Justice System by threatening the USAs in order to file false charges based on politics, interfering in ongoing investigations like Lam in SD...etc.

    The FBI is abusing the Patriot Act...

    Lying to America on a regular basis...etc.

    How much is too much? Do we continue to sit on the sidelines and pretend this shat isn't going on?
    I think that we're seeing now, at least "some" accountability being brought to bear on the Bush administration, and oversight needs to be exercised of course. Without a doubt, and now, we're starting to do it. I think it's too late to dig into everything that they've done, mostly in the name of "security" and stopping terror attacks (still more likely to fall and slip in your tub and die there than from a terrorist attack, but that's neither her nor there).

    It's too bad that the republicans who were running Congress didn't exhibit some balls before, and did what they were supposed to do, oversee the Executive branch, instead of letting them run amok.

    Maybe we can fix some things. I hope that we can. I do think that should a democrat take the White House in 2008, that they have a republican Congress. It's not ideal to get your total agenda pushed through, but look at most of the years of Bill Clinton when he had a republican Congress. They got some stuff done together, and sure he didn't get everything he wanted, but even throughout the whole impeachment mess, he was still getting a legislative agenda pushed through, and they, even though the republicans were at Clinton's throat, had to work together most of the time.

    We'll see. I have hope, but just not much for the next 2 years.

  19. #19
    Have a nice day
    Reputation: undies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam
    Me thinks you are speaking of the wrong party there Ken. Libs are the people who belly up to the bar with commies and dictators.
    Too much coke in the '80s? Try reading some history

    Of course Republicans don't have a monopoly on sleeping with dictators; the Dems have supported their fair share of ill conceived foreign policy. But if you think GOP admins. have had no part in it you are just being willfully ignorant.

  20. #20
    Have a nice day
    Reputation: undies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,893
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    Who will save it and why should they?

    Since the Reagan Conservatives are dead, what will the Republican party look like?
    Like it does now. They'll be fine because they are expert politicians. The GOP has done a tremendous job of branding itself to the American public, as evidenced by your own statement about "Reagan Conservatives." I guess you forgot about Reagan's rampant deficit spending, his tax increases, or his back-door deals with dictators and despots. Which figures, everyone else forgets too.

    Dude, you're doing their work for them.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,508
    Quote Originally Posted by undies
    Too much coke in the '80s? Try reading some history

    Of course Republicans don't have a monopoly on sleeping with dictators; the Dems have supported their fair share of ill conceived foreign policy. But if you think GOP admins. have had no part in it you are just being willfully ignorant.
    Foriegn policies are generally dictated by whatever international problems there are at a given time. Criticism of foriegn policy of past adminstrations of either party has the advantage and benefit of hindsight and actually knowing what the results were. I think all of them, both sides, did what they understood to be the best for the country at the time based on what they knew then. It can make all of us look smarter than people we couldn't hold a coat for.

  22. #22
    Have a nice day
    Reputation: undies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit
    It can make all of us look smarter than people we couldn't hold a coat for.
    True enough. I've never been critical of GHW Bush leaving Saddam in power, even though history shows that was probably a mistake. I don't really lose sleep over the Reagan admin's support of Saddam's regime in the '80s against Iran. And I get why Clinton backed off on Somalia and then left Rwanda high-and-dry.

    But... selling arms to Iran in the '80s was on another level. That wasn't just a mistake, that was criminal.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation: Live Steam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,685
    It wasn't criminal after the law, wrong as it was, was changed.

  24. #24
    Have a nice day
    Reputation: undies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam
    It wasn't criminal after the law, wrong as it was, was changed.
    So then you're totally cool with the Reagan admin. selling arms to Iran?

  25. #25

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit
    Foriegn policies are generally dictated by whatever international problems there are at a given time. Criticism of foriegn policy of past adminstrations of either party has the advantage and benefit of hindsight and actually knowing what the results were. I think all of them, both sides, did what they understood to be the best for the country at the time based on what they knew then. It can make all of us look smarter than people we couldn't hold a coat for.
    this makes sense. all the other posts on the matter in this thread are "Hollier than thou" juvenile self dellusion..BS.
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.