Can we just stick to one lie, errrr ... story?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Can we just stick to one lie, errrr ... story?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/polit...ale/index.html

Pompeo, who has leaned heavily on the assertion that intelligence showed an imminent threat, did not mention that reasoning Monday during a speech at the Stanford's Hoover Institute.

"I want to lay this out in context of what we've been trying to do. There's a bigger strategy to this," the top US diplomat said. "President Trump and those of us in his national security team are re-establishing deterrence -- real deterrence ‒ against the Islamic Republic of Iran."

Shifting explanations

Trump administration officials have issued confusing explanations, contradicting each other about how imminent a threat the Iranian general posed, whether they had specific intelligence on the threat and even what that threat was, with Trump saying one thing, then another, while officials offered varying explanations.

Immediately after the strike, Pompeo told CNN Soleimani had been involved in planning an "imminent attack" in the region that put American lives at risk, adding that the US made an intelligence-based assessment that killing Soleimani would save Americans.

The Pentagon, however, offered a slightly different account, saying in a statement that the strike was carried out to deter future attacks against US interests.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

What the what???
    Apparently not. Now Trump* is tweeting that it doesn't matter what Suleimani planned to do... he was killed because he was a bad guy.

"WASHINGTON ó In the 10 days since it carried out the drone strike that killed Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, the Trump administration has been struggling to draft an after-the-fact narrative to justify it. On Monday, President Trump put an end to that hash of explanations. ďIt doesnít really matter,Ē he tweeted, ďbecause of his horrible past.Ē

That groaning sound you hear is the weight of all that hypocrisy settling on Trump*s slumped shoulders... Horrible past indeed.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 01-14-2020 at 05:33 AM.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Silence from the folks who screeched and wailed about Bengahzi! and Youtube video.

Hypocrites.
    "I would like you to do us a favor"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    We can only hope for 'an eye for an eye', praise jesus, the anglo-saxon one.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    if the dumbass public hasn't become incensed with Trump's blatant and incessant torturing of the truth by now, this little fib-fest over why the general was offed won't matter one bit...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trump to the head of drone operations: "I heard you paint houses."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm only just realizing Pompeo is a religious nutjob. I can't square his belief in the rapture with his ability to graduate #1 in his class at West Point. So strange to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    But Hillary
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    I'm only just realizing Pompeo is a religious nutjob. I can't square his belief in the rapture with his ability to graduate #1 in his class at West Point. So strange to me.
    I didn't know this: a secretary of state who believes religious end-of-the-world nonsense and acts on it.

Only in the totally f-ed-up Land of Trump.

West Point fail. Again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My new #1 WTD fib: U.S. Embassies Were Never Told of Supposed Soleimani Threat Because It Didnít Exist
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Your expectations of anyone in the military should be seriously downgraded, where have you been?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Point taken, but most West Point graduates are no joke.

And I really didn't know that Pompeo buys into some really, really far out ideas about the world and how it will end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Point taken, but most West Point graduates are no joke.

And I really didn't know that Pompeo buys into some really, really far out ideas about the world and how it will end.
    In my experience, there's not all that much correlation between religion and intelligence. You might have more than enough intellectual horsepower to deconstruct the stranger beliefs of your religion, but because the religion is part of your social and cultural identity, you suspend your disbelief.

The more conservative/radical the sect, the more there are demands of this nature. If you want to challenge the precepts of a cult, expect to be shunned by your entire community. Far safer to go with the program. The more cynical of adherents simply use the religion as a means to power- they don't really believe, but are skilled at manipulating those who do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    In my experience, there's not all that much correlation between religion and intelligence. You might have more than enough intellectual horsepower to deconstruct the stranger beliefs of your religion, but because the religion is part of your social and cultural identity, you suspend your disbelief.

Doomsday cult?

Thatís beyond religious attendance/observance. Suggests to me derangement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Doomsday cult?

Thatís beyond religious attendance/observance. Suggests to me derangement.
    Eschatology plays some role in most religions to one degree or another. Pompeo's rapture stuff is pretty standard right wing evangelical fare. But it's a spectrum. A true "doomsday cult" on the far end of that spectrum has its followers put on white robes a drink poisoned cool-aid, or at least sell all their possessions in preparation for the end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    Eschatology plays some role in most religions to one degree or another. Pompeo's rapture stuff is pretty standard right wing evangelical fare. But it's a spectrum. A true "doomsday cult" on the far end of that spectrum has its followers put on white robes a drink poisoned cool-aid, or at least sell all their possessions in preparation for the end.
    Although not pretty standard fare for secretaries of state. Pompeo certainly is well positioned to foment end-times war. Has to be said.

From Godís mouth into Don Trumpís ear.

Weirdos in high places; what can go wrong?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    U.S. Embassies Were Never Told of Supposed Soleimani Threat Because It Didnít Exist

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...754_story.html

Silence from the Benghazi! hypocrites
    "I would like you to do us a favor"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I dunno why, but my instincts says this dialog is going to reappear during the debates.

Trump will say some boastful things, and on rebuttal his opponent will merely mention, "Was that like the reasons you kept making up about assassinating the Iranian General? You know the one who was an imminent threat to all our foreign Embassies who your Administration hadn't made them aware of."