Chaffetz 2020
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Chaffetz 2020

  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,615

    Chaffetz 2020

    For many months now, I've been saying that the 'new' poster-boy of the RNC is Jason Chaffetz.

    Back at the 2004 DNC Convention, I called Obama for POTUS 2008. My friends and colleagues said I was nuts when I told them "there's our next POTUS." (I'm all Nate Silverish like that.)

    As an aside, I have very strong aversions to both current candidates. And for very, very valid reasons, as I'm sure you all do.

    How in the f*kc did the USA end up with this embarrassing disaster? Teddy Roosevelt, we have need of you now.

    In my mind, the RNC has Chaffetz or Pence to choose from for 2020. My guess is they will get behind Chaffetz.

  2. #2
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway View Post
    For many months now, I've been saying that the 'new' poster-boy of the RNC is Jason Chaffetz.

    Back at the 2004 DNC Convention, I called Obama for POTUS 2008. My friends and colleagues said I was nuts when I told them "there's our next POTUS." (I'm all Nate Silverish like that.)

    As an aside, I have very strong aversions to both current candidates. And for very, very valid reasons, as I'm sure you all do.

    How in the f*kc did the USA end up with this embarrassing disaster? Teddy Roosevelt, we have need of you now.

    In my mind, the RNC has Chaffetz or Pence to choose from for 2020. My guess is they will get behind Chaffetz.
    Teddy Roosevelt would be ashamed of his party now

    Chaffetz, yeah he'll be a perfect fit

    In a September 2015 hearing, Chaffetz questioned Planned Parenthood's president Cecile Richards on her salary, and displayed a chart he claimed was taken from Planned Parenthood's annual report, but sources confirm the claim the chart was actually taken from Americans United for Life chart data that was deliberately manipulated using questionable dual-axis charting methodologies. Experts in data presentation said this was an egregious example of using a chart to mislead
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: le duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,767
    Pence? The guy who said yes to Trump?

    You need to find someone who is a social moderate.

    Someone like Pence will get destroyed in 2020. Discriminating against a group of people as part of your platform might work in IN and the south. Doesn't fly in the rest of the country.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    "You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out." -WTS

  4. #4
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,469
    “The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first and love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
    Theodore Roosevelt
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

  5. #5
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,393
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway View Post
    In my mind, the RNC has Chaffetz or Pence to choose from for 2020. My guess is they will get behind Chaffetz.
    Given his history, PP and Benghazi for two examples, I can see him getting the GOP nod. Given his Jewish converted to Mormon background, maybe not given the racism of the GOP, and the predictable evangelical push for one of their own next time.

    Beyond that? Tough sell. Can he move to the middle for the general? Will the right let him move to the middle if the GOP moves hard right because Trump failed due to not being a "pure" conservative? Will his past undercut any move to the middle?

    But yeah, I would lay good odds for him this far out for the GOP nom, for sure.
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    24,595
    Salute him for abandoning Trump but not White House material

    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: crossracer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    644
    The GOP didn't learn from before. I'm betting in 2020 they double down on another extreme right person. They had so many choices this time around and overwhelmingly picked trump. That isn't going away in 4 years IMHO.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,768
    I'm sure Cruz, Rubio, Kasich etc will be running in 2020 as well.

    Ryan and Ben Sasse too, more than likely. Maybe even Jeb.

    Would expect another clown car.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

    System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

    Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

    Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

    Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind


  9. #9
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,393
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Salute him for abandoning Trump but not White House material

    If he says in hindsight that was a mistake, he could come off as moderate and thoughtful.

    American's love a reinvention.

    Besides, if you look at the OP, it's about who gains IN the gop, not who wins everything (for which he has many problems, including his anti-pot stuff which will hurt him with the young vote). You think cutting funds AND going after Clinton will hurt him with the GOP base? I don't.
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

  10. #10
    Ricardo Cabeza
    Reputation: Andy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    “The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first and love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
    Theodore Roosevelt
    don't forget the tangle of squabbling nationalities
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

    SuperAndy's Garage

  11. #11
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    don't forget the tangle of squabbling nationalities
    The Johnson -Reed Act
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    24,595
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    If he says in hindsight that was a mistake, he could come off as moderate and thoughtful.

    American's love a reinvention.

    Besides, if you look at the OP, it's about who gains IN the gop, not who wins everything (for which he has many problems, including his anti-pot stuff which will hurt him with the young vote). You think cutting funds AND going after Clinton will hurt him with the GOP base? I don't.
    GOP base?

    After reading this morning most of the GOP base continues to support Trump, just what did you have in mind that would hurt the GOP base which appear to only care about their anger instead of real world policy change?

    The Republicans are about to lose to their most hated candidate ever and one with a sky high unfavorable rating. This marks their 3rd in a row lost for the White House. Major voting blocks will vote overwhelming for the Democrats including women and people of color. Cores GOP demographics are aging and on the decline. Trump is running on 35 year old trickledown economic policies while promoting more "spend and borrow" approach to solving problems which only heaps on more debt.

    I wasn't around when the Whigs went into a tailspin, but the GOP could be in one similar destine to never win the national election again.

    But I agree with you --- the US does love reinvention and the GOP does need to reinvent itself.
    Last edited by troutmd; 10-09-2016 at 05:49 AM.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

  13. #13
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,393
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    GOP base?

    After reading this morning most of the GOP base continues to support Trump, ...
    More Rs voted for NOT trump in the primaries than for him.
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15,153
    Chaffetz?

    This is the guy who not only pushed anti-LGBT hate bills but scheduled the hearings on the anniversary of the Orlando shooting. He is a troll who wants it to be ok for someone to fire, not hire, or toss a renter out of their apartment if they are gay.

    If the GOP wants to continue to be irrelevant on the national stage then sure, but hopefully they will move on from the wackos who have put them in this position.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    24,595
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    More Rs voted for NOT trump in the primaries than for him.
    Are you now anticipating a low GOP general election turnout?
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

  16. #16
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    Chaffetz?

    This is the guy who not only pushed anti-LGBT hate bills but scheduled the hearings on the anniversary of the Orlando shooting. He is a troll who wants it to be ok for someone to fire, not hire, or toss a renter out of their apartment if they are gay.

    If the GOP wants to continue to be irrelevant on the national stage then sure, but hopefully they will move on from the wackos who have put them in this position.
    hateful, willing to distort reality to push his hate forward

    he's perfect

    there's no need for the GOP to right their ship when half their base thinks they are moving in a good direction
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  17. #17
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,393
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Are you now anticipating a low GOP general election turnout?
    That would be consistent with the facts on the ground.
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

  18. #18
    Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Reputation: Turtleherder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer01 View Post
    The GOP didn't learn from before. I'm betting in 2020 they double down on another extreme right person. They had so many choices this time around and overwhelmingly picked trump. That isn't going away in 4 years IMHO.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    This. The base of the GOP likes to double down when confronted with failure.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

    No collusion with the delusion

    “Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,615
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Teddy Roosevelt would be ashamed of his party now

    Chaffetz, yeah he'll be a perfect fit
    Indeed he would be. On both counts.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,615
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Given his history, PP and Benghazi for two examples, I can see him getting the GOP nod. Given his Jewish converted to Mormon background, maybe not given the racism of the GOP, and the predictable evangelical push for one of their own next time.

    Beyond that? Tough sell. Can he move to the middle for the general? Will the right let him move to the middle if the GOP moves hard right because Trump failed due to not being a "pure" conservative? Will his past undercut any move to the middle?

    But yeah, I would lay good odds for him this far out for the GOP nom, for sure.
    I would argue that his interrogation of Comey is what will endear him to the (evangelical) GOP voter-base, and his religious affiliation will not play much of a role. And, if anything, the LDS is a powerful org. with resources to elevate their Boy Wonder.

    I'll admit... he has been oddly fascinating to watch. And yes, I do believe that the Clintons have built an 'in plain sight' firewall around themselves in Washington, regardless of Chaffetz's claims to the same.

    I am also inclined to believe that Trump is a Pied Piper candidate. If true, brilliant tactics by the Clinton camp.

    If Chaffetz is the 2020 nominee, it will be interesting to see how he fares against HRC as the (presumed) incumbent.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Thank you for the link. I was unaware of this. Interesting.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,615
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    That would be consistent with the facts on the ground.
    Completely agree w/ Trout and QQQ.

    Low GOP turnout. From the outset, the moderate GOP voter-base desperately wanted to see this irredeemable candidate that, on the surface, represents their concerns for national safety and security, rise above his foibles, indecency, and racist rhetoric.

    He has consistently and seemingly self-sabotaged at every turn, which makes it all the more perplexing and interesting.

  23. #23
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway View Post
    Indeed he would be. On both counts.
    Ted understood that unfettered business was the biggest threat to the great American Democracy Experiment. He was a trust buster, he'd have no chance in today's GOP, he is also one of the Republicans I admire, faults and all
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,615
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Ted understood that unfettered business was the biggest threat to the great American Democracy Experiment. He was a trust buster, he'd have no chance in today's GOP, he is also one of the Republicans I admire, faults and all
    I am not a big fan of his "faults." The Rough Riders and San Juan Hill, and his seeming readiness to seek out battle and military conflict doesn't sit well with me. But... it is this same personality trait that took down JP Morgan and corporate monopolization.

    The fact that he came into office from the position of 'token VP' by the very entities that banked on his obscurity makes his story even more compelling.

    Donald is no Teddy.

Similar Threads

  1. Wrestling cut from 2020 olympics
    By onlineflyer in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-15-2013, 08:21 AM
  2. Romney: Energy independence by 2020
    By MR_GRUMPY in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 12:20 PM
  3. Senate panel sets 35 mpg standard by 2020....SRSLY?!?!
    By BentChainring in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 04:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.