Chick-fil-A Throws In The Towel...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    feelin' Freddie Mercury

Whoa, that was quick/unexpected... and Mike Huckabee is probably sobbing softly somewhere.

Chick-fil-A plans to stop supporting antigay groups

LOS ANGELES - Chick-fil-A has pledged to stop giving money to antigay groups and to back off political and social debates after an executive's comments this summer landed the fast-food chain smack in the middle of the gay marriage debate.

The Civil Rights Agenda, which dubs itself the largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender advocacy group in Illinois, said Chick-fil-A agreed in meetings to stop donating to groups such as Focus on the Family and the National Organization for Marriage. Such groups oppose same-sex marriage.

A report from LGBT advocacy group Equality Matters found that between 2003 and 2009, Chick-fil-A donated more than $3 million to Christian groups that oppose homosexuality. In 2010, the fast-food company gave nearly $2 million to such causes, according to the report.

The LGBT collective said the Atlanta-based restaurant chain also sent a letter, signed by its senior director of real estate, to Chicago Alderman Joe Moreno.

Chick-fil-A said in the missive that its nonprofit arm, the WinShape Foundation, "is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas," according to TCRA...

more at Chick-fil-A plans to stop supporting antigay groups

Also: Chick-fil-A to stop donating to anti-gay groups - latimes.com
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    AFAIK, Chick-fil-A is not publicly saying why they're reversing their stand, but perhaps a personal anecdote may help...

In my home town of Mountain View, Chick-fil-A has been trying to get approval to have one of their restaurants built, less than a mile from me in fact.

However, they have met with staunch opposition from LGBT groups and those sympathetic to them at every hearing. Petitions have been circulated, getting lots of votes, saying "We don't want Chick-fil-A here." There was a real chance that they were going to get denied.

My guess is, Chick-fil-A was encountering this in a great many blue states/places they very much wanted to expand into.

As always, it's all about the almighty buck. Sorry, 'angry-gay-hating' Jebus*, we Chick-fil-A execs would rather make more money.

* i.e., not the real one
    Last edited by SystemShock; 09-20-2012 at 03:37 AM.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    AFAIK, Chick-fil-A is not publicly saying why they're reversing their stand, but perhaps a personal anecdote may help...

In my home town of Mountain View, Chick-fil-A has been trying to get approval to have one of their restaurants built, less than a mile from me in fact.

However, they have met with staunch opposition from LGBT groups and those sympathetic to them at every hearing. Petitions have been circulated, getting lots of votes, saying "We don't want Chick-fil-A here." There was a real chance that they were going to get denied.

My guess is, Chick-fil-A was encountering this in a great many blue states/places they very much wanted to expand into.

As always, it's all about the almighty buck. Sorry, 'angry-gay-hating' Jebus*, we Chick-fil-A execs would rather make more money.

* i.e., not the real one
    So, is it fair to say the LGBT will no longer have a bone to pick with Chik-fil-A?

feelin' Freddie Mercury

good for these groups, protesting Chick-Fil-A and forcing the issue in the marketplace, but why did a Chicago alderman get involved?!

off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    So, is it fair to say the LGBT will no longer have a bone to pick with Chik-fil-A?
    The gays and some of the bisexuals might, but the lesbians, pretty sure no.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

good for these groups, protesting Chick-Fil-A and forcing the issue in the marketplace, but why did a Chicago alderman get involved?!
    Chicago politicians are unique - they get stuff done, one way or another.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Chicken bones perhaps. ( just had to go there.)
    Marketing = Deception

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

After living near and in Chicago for 35 years, I learned that Chicago alderman often live up to to worst stereotypes about Democrat politicians. They seem to never run out of new ideas for dumb restrictive city ordinances to create.
    "Its hard to win an argument with a smart person, but its damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    So, how much money has CFA given to other groups? $5 million over 7 years?

Lets not get upset at how much people are giving to the Super PACs though and not regulate those either.

Folks, this is a private company that has a christian background. They arent even open on Sundays because of their beliefs!

Neg Rep Me B!tches
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Is this some juvenile way of suggesting that the CFA people are gay? The hate is strong here.
    "Sanity is a good thing." - surfndav

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs McNeil View Post
    Is this some juvenile way of suggesting that the CFA people are gay? The hate is strong here.
    WTH are you even talking about? Are even you sure?

'Throwing in the towel' is not a 'you must be gay' slam. It means to give up. Derp.

So, delving into mondo-obscuro-wingnut-land, do you, like, have gay bathhouses on your mind 24-7-365 or something? That's the only way I could see making that connection.

So to sum up... good lord man, get a grip. Oh wait- that could be interpreted as a 'you must be gay' slam TOO! Aaaaaigh, it's EVERYWHERE....

What the what???
    "Throws In The Towel"... is that what the kids are calling it these days?
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    After living near and in Chicago for 35 years, I learned that Chicago alderman often live up to to worst stereotypes about Democrat politicians. They seem to never run out of new ideas for dumb restrictive city ordinances to create.
    Those traits can be found in Presidents from Chicago too.

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    If it's good enough for Chicago, then it certainly should be good enough for the US.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Compared to Ed Burke, not even close but I agree that you shouldn't vote for him.
    "Its hard to win an argument with a smart person, but its damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Opus was just napping
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/18/chic...-protests.html

Well it took six years for them to throw in the towel but it appears they are now done with loving groups that hate gays.

Now my only reason for not ever eating there will be because their chicken sandwiches suck.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/18/chic...-protests.html

Well it took six years for them to throw in the towel but it appears they are now done with loving groups that hate gays.

Now my only reason for not ever eating there will be because their chicken sandwiches suck.
    asdf
    MY PLEASURE
    MY PLEASURE
    MY PLEASURE
    MY PLEASURE
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    If they were good chicken sandwiches, people would be killing one another to get them.

That's the true indication of a chicken sandwich's deliciousity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    They have said this before.. just found ways to funnel money to these groups in less public ways.. till they get caught out again...

What the what???
    Well, if my never having tried a Chick-fil-a sandwich has in any way helped... I'm happy to have inadvertently boycotted them.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    Thank God they are no longer funding the Salvation Army. That horrible group helps survivors of disasters, stocks food banks and has a terrifying free lunch program must be stopped. Nobody should get a free lunch.

You know they funded Pennsylvania Family Institute, an Anti-LGBT hate group that pushed various unconstitutional hate bills. Did that bother you?

They gave to multiple hate groups that support Conversion Therapy. In case you don't know what that is they torturing kids until they are not gay. It is banned in many states and countries.

Of course they also supported the Family Research Council, a disgusting hate group.

I am sure they appreciate your efforts to deflect and minimize their support for these disgusting groups.
    "I would like you to do us a favor"

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    Thank God they are no longer funding the Salvation Army. That horrible group helps survivors of disasters, stocks food banks and has a terrifying free lunch program must be stopped. Nobody should get a free lunch.

Sounds like you know about as much about non-profits as you do about landmark Supreme Court decisions.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    There are murderers and rapists who were charitable contributors, Dave. Does that absolve them of their deeds?
    (Looking at you, Trump)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There are murderers and rapists who were charitable contributors, Dave. Does that absolve them of their deeds?
    (Looking at you, Trump)
    Ha ha ha, as if Trump is a charitable contributor. Hey, let's look at his tax returns to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast