Crack-up boom on the horizon?
    banned

Crack-up boom on the horizon?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25209456/

How much longer do they think they can keep printing money before the currency collapses, particularly if the foreign holders of all these dollars start dumping them in favor of the Euro or some other currency? We certainly aren't Argentina, but the US has experienced worthless currencies before, and fiat currencies tend not to last, as a general rule. And we certainly aren't immune to the "laws" of economics.

Opinions....

Back from the dead
    It's not going to stop until we stop burning huge piles of money in Iraq. Shutdown that money sink and things should improve dramatically.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    It's not going to stop until we stop burning huge piles of money in Iraq. Shutdown that money sink and things should improve dramatically.
    I think it's reached the point where inflating the currency can no longer cover the deficit.

Of course, reaching that point was inevitable.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    I think it's reached the point where inflating the currency can no longer cover the deficit.

Of course, reaching that point was inevitable.
    Brush up on your Mandarin

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    That picture is somewhat telling, if you ask me. I'm not talking black helicopters or conspiracies, but just this overwhelming feeling that we've let the blind lead the blind the past 8 years, and now it's all coming to fruition.

This President has had nothing but turmoil during his tenure. It began just before he was elected, with stock market collapses (dot coms), continued in year one with 9/11/01, and led to basically two major military ventures in 18 months time - Afghanisitan and Iraq. Both continue to this point. Add to that all of the corporate scandals of 2003, 2004, and then the housing boom and bust that is still with us today, and it's been a mess.

Oh, and let's not forget the highly efficient and effective job of handling the Hurricane Katrina debacle, and our current fight against high oil prices.

While this President is not to blame directly for any of the above-mentioned difficulties (save for Iraq), he certainly was not the strong leader needed during any of this. Good bye and good riddance. I'll make my vote much more serious this time than the last couple.
    If confronted by a mountain lion, it's best to pretend to be as big as possible. But not big as in important, ie, "Do You Know Who I Am?".

RoadBikeReview Member
    The deficit (and the ever-building debt) has got to come back and bite everyone in the butt eventually. I can't see and of the big holders of dollars (like China and Japan) dumping them straight away, but they very well could slowly move into Euros which will cause lots of problems eventually.
    As I grow older I will remember the first light on the water, my will to win, the strength of my arms and the power of the crew.

yellow is mellow
    Nov 2001
    The nail that sticks out gets hammered down

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paper warrior
    Great. Fix the problems caused by government intervention in the economy by...... more government intervention in the economy.

yellow is mellow
    Nov 2001
    good for $200 oil too!
    The nail that sticks out gets hammered down