• 06-30-2005
    thatsmybush
    This day in History day...The night of the long knives.
    With all of the talk about Nazism as if compares favorably to one or both of our particular political parties...thought this was a topic that at least could show (plus you know the date worked with a thursday history day thing).... just how far we are from...or how far we have to go to achieve the Nazi State.

Starting on the 29th through today in 1934, Hitler purged the SA, setting himself as unquestioned demi-god amongst his minions. The death toll from the night included his perceived adversary in Roehm as well as 400 or more officers and leaders of the SA.

Hitler claimed that 61 were executed while other committed suicide or died trying to escape but the death toll was of course much higher.

Was it something Roehm said...
    "Hitler can't walk over me as he might have done a year ago; I've seen to that. Don't forget that I have three million men, with every key position in the hands of my own people, Hitler knows that I have friends in the Reichswehr, you know! If Hitler is reasonable I shall settle the matter quietly; if he isn't I must be prepared to use force - not for my sake but for the sake of our revolution." (January 1934)
  • 06-30-2005
    Dwayne Barry
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsmybush
    With all of the talk about Nazism as if compares favorably to one or both of our particular political parties...thought this was a topic that at least could show (plus you know the date worked with a thursday history day thing).... just how far we are from...or how far we have to go to achieve the Nazi State.

Reading history is always good for putting things in perspective. I'm finishing up MacCulloch's new book on the Reformation, and it's made me realize how thoroughly and completely the religious have lost the cultural war. 400 years ago they could burn you at the stake for daring to claim the father, son, and holy ghost were a single entity rather than 3, or for being an adulterer, now they fight over scraps and are still losing (abortion, evolution, sex ed.). Despite the hype the religious right gets they are LOSERS in the big picture left fighting a rear guard action to avoid becoming totally irrelevant.
  • 06-30-2005
    mohair_chair
    Hitler was a certifiable madman, but he had lots of seemingly ordinary and fine upstanding citizens carrying out his orders. There is currently no equivalent to Hitler in this country, nor is anyone you can name within a light year of nearing his level. But should a Hitler II appear at this moment, I have no doubt that he would find a base of "patriotic" citizens to work with in this country.
  • 06-30-2005
    Bocephus Jones II
    Great AC/DC song it was....;)
  • 06-30-2005
    svend
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Hitler was a certifiable madman, but he had lots of seemingly ordinary and fine upstanding citizens carrying out his orders. There is currently no equivalent to Hitler in this country, nor is anyone you can name within a light year of nearing his level. But should a Hitler II appear at this moment, I have no doubt that he would find a base of "patriotic" citizens to work with in this country.

most debinately....several frequent this board alone
  • 07-01-2005
    Bocephus Jones II
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by svend
    most debinately....several frequent this board alone