Deep Deep Down Quotes - by KenB 09/11/05 12:52 pm PST
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905

    Deep Deep Down Quotes - by KenB 09/11/05 12:52 pm PST

    "The best way to minimize the effect of political cronyism is to put the responsibility for saving lives on the states and leave the financial aid and coordination of federal resources (armed forces, etc) to FEMA" --- KenB

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco
    "The best way to minimize the effect of political cronyism is to put the responsibility for saving lives on the states and leave the financial aid and coordination of federal resources (armed forces, etc) to FEMA" --- KenB
    Damn, this was super-effective recently, wasn't it?
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    --John Stuart Mill

  3. #3
    Palm trees & sunshine!
    Reputation: KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24,200
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity
    Damn, this was super-effective recently, wasn't it?
    Wasn't it? Not that many lives lost so far.....

    NO/LA should be a wakeup call to the states that the cord has been cut.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    Wasn't it? Not that many lives lost so far.....

    NO/LA should be a wakeup call to the states that the cord has been cut.
    We'll see. The old and infirm, the young, the poor aren't singing the glories of the W. A LOT of lives have been uprooted. If you were there, I doubt you'd say things were hunky-dory.

    And, now that we have a Dept. of Homeland Secuity, aka Crony Central, if a terrorist act had struck the Gulf and not a natural disaster, would you be singing the same tune?
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    --John Stuart Mill

  5. #5
    Palm trees & sunshine!
    Reputation: KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24,200
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity
    We'll see. The old and infirm, the young, the poor aren't singing the glories of the W. A LOT of lives have been uprooted. If you were there, I doubt you'd say things were hunky-dory.

    And, now that we have a Dept. of Homeland Secuity, aka Crony Central, if a terrorist act had struck the Gulf and not a natural disaster, would you be singing the same tune?
    I was never in favor of the DoHS. It's a joke... another excuse for the President to not do his job. But, yes, I'll sing the same tune until I die. There is no way you can convince me that the odds of one idiot crony wreaking havoc on SAR efforts are reduced by putting all the responsibility on one person -- who could very easily be a crony. It's a huge design flaw.

    Put the responsibility for managing the rescue and relief efforts on the local and state authorities so that if one of them is an idiot they only impact a small area instead of three states and millions of lives. The fed should only be the quartermaster, so to speak. During the emergency, it should be asking those on the ground what they need and where they need it and that's it. Afterwards, it should bankroll the recovery as allowed for by law.

    The breakdown I have seen is that too many people waited for someone else to do something and the guy that was supposed to tell them what to do was a moron. Had they had the authority to do what they knew should have been done, it wouldn't have been as screwed up as it was.

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    The breakdown I have seen is that too many people waited for someone else to do something and the guy that was supposed to tell them what to do was a moron. Had they had the authority to do what they knew should have been done, it wouldn't have been as screwed up as it was.
    I agree that Brownie is a moron but, I'm sorry, state and local governments, cannot be expected to handle an event of this magnitude. 80% of NO was evacuated, a score most people would think was pretty good on a test, with little help from the feds. What NO needed help with, among other things, was dealing with the remaining 20%.
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    --John Stuart Mill

  7. #7
    Palm trees & sunshine!
    Reputation: KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24,200
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity
    I agree that Brownie is a moron but, I'm sorry, state and local governments, cannot be expected to handle an event of this magnitude. 80% of NO was evacuated, a score most people would think was pretty good on a test, with little help from the feds. What NO needed help with, among other things, was dealing with the remaining 20%.
    Exactly! That's where the system broke because the expectation was that FEMA would come in and wisk everyone away to safety. All the locals needed was resources, the authority and the will to act. They mayor of NO should have been able to tell FEMA to send 50 helos in and they should have appeared over the city in short order -- no questions asked. Instead, the system is set so that justification is required. It should work so that anyone on the authorized list can call in resources unquestioned.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,508
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    Exactly! That's where the system broke because the expectation was that FEMA would come in and wisk everyone away to safety. All the locals needed was resources, the authority and the will to act. They mayor of NO should have been able to tell FEMA to send 50 helos in and they should have appeared over the city in short order -- no questions asked. Instead, the system is set so that justification is required. It should work so that anyone on the authorized list can call in resources unquestioned.
    The 80% that got evacuated, evacuated themselves. The mayor and Governor were responsible for the 20% that didn't have wheels. Did the mayor ask for federal help for a 100% evacuation prior to the storm? i don't think so. The people were told to make their own way to the Superdome, why not have pick up points, load them up and take them out of harms way? They could have requested federal transport to evacuate the city early on and did not. There was some discussion this morning on a news show that the President actually made that offer and it was refused.

  9. #9
    Palm trees & sunshine!
    Reputation: KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit
    The 80% that got evacuated, evacuated themselves. The mayor and Governor were responsible for the 20% that didn't have wheels. Did the mayor ask for federal help for a 100% evacuation prior to the storm? i don't think so. The people were told to make their own way to the Superdome, why not have pick up points, load them up and take them out of harms way? They could have requested federal transport to evacuate the city early on and did not. There was some discussion this morning on a news show that the President actually made that offer and it was refused.
    I was being nice.

    80% is 80% though. Whether they got out on their own or with state help, they made it out without federal help. Don't get me started on the mayor and the governor.

Similar Threads

  1. Deep Down Quotes 09/10/05 12:42 PST
    By rocco in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 11:37 AM
  2. Deep Down Quotes 09/10/05 12:10 PST
    By rocco in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 11:11 AM
  3. Graham Turnbull Essay
    By M.J. in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 05:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.