"I'm getting pretty sick of hearing about all the blame being tossed around following the hurricane, but almost no one is pointing any fingers at those primarily responsible for their own well being. Two main points come to mind, evacuation and crime, but also insurance and preparation.

People knew this hurricane was coming far enough in advance that they could nearly have walked to safety, or at least found some way to leave the city. There was a mandatory evacuation. They give those orders for a reason, that is, so people won't be in jeopardy and others won't be jeopardized attempting to save those who did not leave. I can't imagine that there are intelligent, ambulatory people who could not have found a way to leave. For the others, those who mentally or physically could not leave, yes, we should attempt to do better to assist them, but even then, I'd bet there were plenty of others who could have privately taken measures to help them. Where were their families, friends, etc?

Blame the damn crime on the criminals, for crying out loud. From the news reports and internet rantings I've seen, you'd almost think that these people were natural disasters themselves, absolved of any resonsibility, and the federal government had a moral obligation to stop them from doing bad things. Again, where's the ultimate responsibility for people's own actions?

If you are going to live in an area subject to natural disasters, then you'd better take responsibility for getting insurance, preparing for the inevitable, having a plan, etc., well before the disaster strikes, rather than moaning about your loss after the inevitable occurs. Who said the rest of us should pay, in one way or another, for these people to have the privilege to live in a risky location? Same applies to everyone, by the way, including rich people living on the sides of cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. New Orleans and its residents should have provided for themselves, not just have sat there hoping to beat the odds. Again, I'm sick of people looking to the federal government, all other other tax payers, every time a natural disaster strikes, which those people knew darn well would occur sooner or later.

I'm not saying have no compassion, and I'm not saying don't help the most needy. What I am saying is that maybe the blame should be squarely placed where it belongs, right with those who could have taken personal responsibilty to prepare, avoid, or mitigate their loss and suffering." ---- Fixed