The Division of Voters In US Politics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019

The Division of Voters In US Politics

Thanks to Max Weber.

As the wealth gap grows larger, intellectual Democrats talk about anything but and intellectual Republicans say very little.

Is it by accident that:

Lawyers support Democrats and Doctors support Republicans?
    Minorities vote Democrat and older whites vote Republican?
    Inner cities vote Democrat, suburbs vote Republican?
    The coasts vote Democrat the heartland votes Republican.
    Dems get the lgbtq community, except for the log cabin types. Republicans get the NRA.
    Dems get the unions (what's left of them), Republicans get the farmers.

Isn't it almost like someone figured out that if they can divide the electorate so that if there is no huge majority on either side it will be difficult to effect change?

And polarization based on anything but the wealth gap helps ensure the status quo.

And people like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, who do try to highlight the wealth gap, aren't exactly DNC favorites.

Or could it be that the two party system exists to support end stage capitalism because no third or fourth party can raise enough money to challenge the special interests that control both the Democrats and the Republicans?

Anyway, it certainly appears that 'divide and conquer' remains a very viable strategy insuring that nothing gets done that would upset the balance of power that retains the status quo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Question: Whom would benefit by having dividend government?

A) No one

B) Everyone

C) Some (identify examples)
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Riders View Post
    Thanks to Max Weber.
    Someone knows very little about Weber.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Dead German guy.
    "If we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment.

-Robert Mueller

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Called a timeout that he didn't have in 1993 and broke my heart.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    The OP did not make much sense but what does make sense is the GOP got slaughtered in the mid terms. Why?

One reason why is massive turnout by Generation Z, Millennials and Generation X
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...2018-midterms/

Trump has energized a generation of voters.....against him.
    "If we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment.

-Robert Mueller

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    The OP did not make much sense but what does make sense is the GOP got slaughtered in the mid terms. Why?

One reason why is massive turnout by Generation Z, Millennials and Generation X
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...2018-midterms/

Trump has energized a generation of voters.....against him.
    that alone should have the GOP running scared as their bed and butter is starting to die of old age and the younger group really does not want anything to do with the GOP hate and bigotry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    that alone should have the GOP running scared as their bed and butter is starting to die of old age and the younger group really does not want anything to do with the GOP
    It has always been the case that the youngsters don't vote GOP. But as they get older and wiser they switch over. As the old saying goes, if you aren't a democrat when you are young, you don't have a heart. If you aren't a republican when you get older, you don't have a brain.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    So the premise of this thread is that the Dem/Rep party want it divide the country rather than either party having a clear majority? Gerrymandering, voter suppression, census questions all lead me to believe that the Reps would do anything to own 2/3 of the country. Same with the Dems. The idea that the two parties would be "forced" to do something if elections weren't so tight is stupid. They're content doing nothing when they control all 3 houses and voters don't seem to notice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    It has always been the case that the youngsters don't vote GOP. But as they get older and wiser they switch over. As the old saying goes, if you aren't a democrat when you are young, you don't have a heart. If you aren't a republican when you get older, you don't have a brain.
    Corollary to that...when you're young you want a govt that works with the people, for the people so that you can become a success. When you're older you've made something of yourself so you want a govt that puts a boot to the neck of the youngsters wanting a handout.

I doubt that conservative seniors living on SS & Medicare will think that they have a brain if/when the Republicans get their wish to reduce the footprint of both programs.

Opus was just napping
    you know the old saying, "old sayings are stupid."
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    Corollary to that...when you're young you want a govt that works with the people, for the people so that you can become a success. When you're older you've made something of yourself so you want a govt that puts a boot to the neck of the youngsters wanting a handout.
    Yep, when you are young you want the free stuff from the gubmint, as you get older you see that it wasn't really "free".

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    I doubt that conservative seniors living on SS & Medicare will think that they have a brain if/when the Republicans get their wish to reduce the footprint of both programs.
    This points out the major problem of relying on the government rather than relying on yourself. Why in the world would someone want to have their retirement stipend in the hands of some elected official that only cares about getting re-elected?
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    This points out the major problem of relying on the government rather than relying on yourself. Why in the world would someone want to have their retirement stipend in the hands of some elected official that only cares about getting re-elected?
    I supposed it's better to get 2% return from the government than to have private firms take it all giving you 0% return.

The issue with private investing is people have neither the time, nor money to learn enough about private investing to make it a positive return in the long run. Most people are just trying to make it to the next month with enough money in their bank account to buy groceries and put gas in the car ... figuring out their retirement plan, just isn't in the cards.

Better to have something than nothing.

Personally, I don't trust either unless there are serious regulations on the private sector to make sure they are not screwing the general public ... we have seen what happens in the past when regulations are lifted ... they go after every old person they can find and milk them dry, then move on to the next. When exposed, regulations are imposed until the next GOP controlled government comes into power, drops the regulations again because they are limiting growth, and the cycle starts over.

Regulations limit growth because they limit private companies from taking advantage of those that don't have the time or education to understand what's happening.
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Question: Whom would benefit by having dividend government?

A) No one

B) Everyone

C) Some (identify examples)
    That would be "C"

By dividing the people and having a divided government, it keeps those with power, IN power. They each blame the other side, while making sure the status quo is maintained ... job security ensues, power continues and nothing changes.
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Keep living in the past and parroting old sayings. The actual saying is

"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."

It is falsely attributed to Winston Churchill, who went from the Conservative to the Liberal Party and then back again, all before he was elected Prime Minister.

It is delusional to pretend a talking point will change the disgust reasonable people have for the Trump Troll Party. It was not just the kids, the DNC made massive gains in both the 45-64 and 65+. 45+ was 50-50.

Sad. Losing. Failing.

-Robert Mueller

RoadBikeReview Member
    That statement points out the major flaw in conservative thinking. They believe that because they don't need to rely on SS & Medicare, no one should. It's as if everyone has the same opportunities in life, everyone starts at the same point and faces the same obstacles. And because they believe that, those that don't succeed must be lazy, stupid or don't care so it's no big deal if the govt suddenly kills programs that these folks rely on to live.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Yep, when you are young you want the free stuff from the gubmint, as you get older you see that it wasn't really "free".
    You think that the corporations that get billions in welfare are suddenly going to change their minds when they "grow up"?

-Robert Mueller

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Weber's Michigan squad shouldn't have been on the court (NCAA violations--thanks, Ed Martin).

Not that it did my Bearcats any good.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Im fd.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    you know the old saying, "old sayings are stupid."
    YMSSRA.

Why in the world would someone want their retirement in the hands of private financial institutions that RECKLESSLY GAMBLE their life savings away with no consequences whatsoever? Pick one--either an elected official with some accountability, or private corporations and CEOs outright living above the law with no accountability at all. Which sucks more, and which sucks less?

https://www.investopedia.com/retirem...ected-seniors/

BTW--one of the architects of that scheme? He's now Trump's head of the Federal Reserve.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    You keep saying that but the GOP average age their voters is going up almost at lock step with that same voter block almost like it is a moving wave.
    Simple fact is the younger voters really do not like the Party of Hate and bigotry (GOP) and GOP has been doubling down on angry old white guy lately and that is only getting worse not better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Pick one--either an elected official with some accountability, or private corporations and CEOs outright living above the law with no accountability at all. Which sucks more, and which sucks less?
    I know which one I think sucks less. The one that doesn't keep all of your money after you die, even if you haven't collected a single nickel.

Hi
    May 2010
    Haha I won my bracket pool that year thanks to Chris.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I know which one I think sucks less. The one that doesn't keep all of your money after you die, even if you haven't collected a single nickel.
    Then by all means--opt out, and trust Merril Lynch or Goldman Sachs with your money...and hope they don't go bankrupt gambling it away.

But like whack religion-don't force your whacko views on the rest of us.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Then by all means--opt out, and trust Merril Lynch or Goldman Sachs with your money...and hope they don't go bankrupt gambling it away.

There are also good actors like Vanguard out there.

Recently saw that I could have bought a share of Berkshire Hathaway Class A back in the late '70s/early '80s for $430 that would be worth $300K nowadays; instead I invested that much in paper delivery savings in a 30 month CD at 10.5% and thought I did really well at the time.

RoadBikeReview Member

I wish I could have, but the Dems would never allow it. I don't have a prob with keeping SS if some people want it, just don't force people to be on it if they don't want it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast