Explosives: They don't kill people, people kill people.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned forever.....or not

Explosives: They don't kill people, people kill people.

Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev bought three pounds of black powder from N.H. fireworks store

Bomber even got one set of shells free. Purchase was in February.

Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev walked into a New Hampshire fireworks store two months before his deadly attack and asked for the “biggest and loudest” kit in the store — then got another set free, the Daily News has learned.

In a chilling twist, the company that sold Tamerlan the fireworks is the same company that sold Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad the firecrackers he used to build his failed car bomb.

“We were just shocked,” said Bill Weimer, vice president of Phamtom Fireworks in Seabrook, N.H. “After our Times Square experience, we said, ‘It can’t happen twice.’”

But it did. Weimer searched his company’s sales records last week and discovered Tsarnaev, 26, came into his Phantom Fireworks on Feb. 6 and was helped by a female store clerk.

“Like most 99% of the men who come in, he asked ‘What’s the biggest and loudest thing you have,’” Weimer said.

The clerk directed him to a $199.99 “Lock and Load” kit, which contains four launch tubes and 24 black-powder-packed shells. The kits are advertised by the company as “barely legal.”

“Best mortar/canister kit you can get. The breaks are bigger, higher, louder than any other I’ve tried,” reports one reviewer on the Phamtom Fireworks website.

Weimer said the kit packs the maximum power allowed under federal law for fireworks.

Tamerlan paid cash for the pyrotechnics.

“For buying the kit, he got one free,” Weimer said. “So that’s a total of 48 shells.”

He said each shell contains roughly 30 grams of black powder — meaning the bombers would have more than three pounds of explosive power.

That’s enough for at least one bomb, experts said.

Weimer said he contacted the FBI as soon as he discovered sales records with Tsarnaev name on them.

Too little....too late.

Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev bought*three pounds of black powder from N.H. fireworks store* - NY Daily News
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    i bet they move to have some registry that is reported to the feds going forward. if the kid had only used a gun. no calls for gitmo, etc, etc. just another mad killer. madness!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I'm am certain that the fireworks manufacturers, machine shops, and Home Depot are setting up a war room on K Street as we speak to fight any proposed legislation to curtail the sale of black powder, ball bearings, and nails.

Sen. McConnell has already declared that bridal registries including cookware are a plot against freedom and will filibuster any attempts to report pressure cookers on your wedding gift list at Target or Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Spinner View Post
    I'm am certain that the fireworks manufacturers, machine shops, and Home Depot are setting up a war room on K Street as we speak to fight any proposed legislation to curtail the sale of black powder, ball bearings, and nails.

Sen. McConnell has already declared that bridal registries including cookware are a plot against freedom and will filibuster any attempts to report pressure cookers on your wedding gift list at Target or Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
    glib responses are glib.
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    glib responses are glib.
    That's deep.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    That's deep.
    but you need to consider the source.

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    Pikers!
    Mixtures of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil (ANFO as it is known in the explosives trade) are considered high explosives in most contexts and account for approximately 80 percent of all explosives used in North America each year, mostly in the mining and demolition industries. It is also remarkably easy to produce with the proper ingredients, namely ammonium nitrate, one of the most common fertilizers found in the United States, and a fuel oil — the diesel fuel found at most gas stations being one of the most common. Neither of these items are illegal to buy, possess, or transport in the United States.
    For these reasons it is the explosive Timothy McVeigh loaded into his truck when he drove to downtown Oklahoma City and detonated it near the Murrah Federal Building. The resulting blast was the largest terrorist attack on the United States at the time, surpassed only by the terrorist attacks of 9/11, killing 160 people and injuring almost 700.
    This bombing, however, was not the first of its kind, even on U.S. soil. The same explosive was used in the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center. More recently it is what terrorists and al Qaeda operatives often use in Iraq and Afghanistan for IEDs and truck bombs. When used in these contexts, ANFO explosives are known as fertilizer bombs.
    This popularity and ease of creation do not mean one can create a bomb by soaking a bag of fertilizer found at the local garden store in diesel fuel, because bombs require high grade ammonium nitrate. This explosives grade ammonium nitrate, however, can be refined from commercial grade fertilizers using processes readily found online. There are even YouTube videos that break down the process step by step.
    These commercial grade fertilizers are not regulated in most cases and there are no federal laws regulating their sale or purchase. While some states do choose to exercise their regulatory powers, laws can differ greatly from state to state, and some states do not have any regulation.
    Even in states where regulations exist, almost anyone can buy commercial grade fertilizer. Some states require vendors of commercial grade fertilizer to register with the state, but this requirement does not limit whom they may sell to. Many of the regulations only require the purchaser to show a drivers license and have the information recorded and kept on file by the retailer at the time of purchase, but this information is only helpful after an attack has occurred as there is no required reporting of sales.
    Fortunately, many local law enforcement agencies maintain amicable relationships with shopkeepers who will inform the police of a person they are unfamiliar with buying large amounts of commercial grade fertilizer. This, however, does depends on the shopkeeper being aware of the potential dangers and choosing to make the phone call. It can be expected that many high school or college students working part time at a retailer would not make the connection to call the police.
    Besides fertilizers, ammonium nitrate can be refined from the cold packs that can be bought at sporting goods or grocery stores. The concentrations of ammonium nitrate in these products, however, are low and would require approximately 450 pounds of cold packs to make a small bomb — and buying 450 pounds of cold packs would likely raise suspicions.
    In addition to high quality ammonium nitrate and fuel oil, an ANFO or fertilizer bomb usually requires a booster such as dynamite, to start the explosion.
    Materials for fertilizer bombs not regulated | Homeland Security News Wire

banned
    great. now I'm going to have a background check just to buy some sparklers for the kids on the 4th of July. Then of course, it puts me on some government "list" when I go back for more because they had such a great time with them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Re: Explosives: They don't kill people, people kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    great. now I'm going to have a background check just to buy some sparklers for the kids on the 4th of July. Then of course, it puts me on some government "list" when I go back for more because they had such a great time with them.
    Just imagine if you buy ammo, fireworks and a gun in the same 60 days! I'm sure that's reason enough to bust down your door and detain you woke they confiscate all your "deadly weapons".

Banned forever.....or not
    Is the "right" to buy and own explosives guaranteed in the constitution??

Are you saying that the government can't prevent or limit their purchase????

Please explain??
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post

Please explain??

Grumpy, of course it's a right!

Where d'ya think "the rockets' red glare comes from, anyway??"

Sheesh!

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Sparklers usually do not have gunpowder, so you're safe. Adjust the tin-foil hat and carry on.

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli

Please explain??
    Yep, falls under 2nd amendment. Right to keep and bear arms includes musket balls, black powder, and flint.

waterproof*

Please explain??
    For those of you who are not gun enthusiasts it may come as a surprise that bulk black power is widely available and commonly used by people who shoot a lot, and save money by loading their own bullets.

Vihtavouri 50 BMG Powder (8 lbs) | Brownells
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    For those of you who are not gun enthusiasts it may come as a surprise that bulk black power is widely available and commonly used by people who shoot a lot, and save money by loading their own bullets.

Vihtavouri 50 BMG Powder (8 lbs) | Brownells

Over the last 3 weeks I have purchased 19 pounds of smokeless gun powder - I shoot a ton of trap and skeet. I'm pretty sure I'm probably on some watch list with the FBI now. LOL!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarbiker View Post
    Over the last 3 weeks I have purchased 19 pounds of smokeless gun powder - I shoot a ton of trap and skeet. I'm pretty sure I'm probably on some watch list with the FBI now. LOL!
    Do you have many pressure cookers?

off the back
    Live Free or Die, baby.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    ....title of thread is wrong....

it should be: Propellants: They don't kill people, people kill people.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think I would rather have seen this turn out to be an AQ attack than to have it just be an attention getter for two total idiots with nothing better to do. At least AQ has a consistant agenda and cause that they believe in, these pieces of **** are like Malvo the sniper, just out for thrills. My God what a horrible reason for people to have lost their lives and their limbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I grew up with a refrigerator full of black powder in the basement. Getting black powder is really, really, really easy. Buying large quantities of black powder isn't even all that weird. My dad got a good deal on a bulk purchase, that lasted him 3 or 4 years of muzzleloading every weekend.

Here's my question: Fireworks are illegal in just about every state in the union, yet every state has fireworks stores. WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    I grew up with a refrigerator full of black powder in the basement. Getting black powder is really, really, really easy. Buying large quantities of black powder isn't even all that weird. My dad got a good deal on a bulk purchase, that lasted him 3 or 4 years of muzzleloading every weekend.

Here's my question: Fireworks are illegal in just about every state in the union, yet every state has fireworks stores. WTF?
    Here we go; I can already see this coming to conservative media: First was the liberal war on Christmas, now the liberals have declared war on Independence day!

Mark it.
    "It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Here we go; I can already see this coming to conservative media: First was the liberal war on Christmas, now the liberals have declared war on Independence day!

Mark it.
    The worst part is they are messing with Cinco De Mayo. Why do they hate Mexico?

Covfefe
    The worst part is they are messing with Cinco De Mayo. Why do they hate Mexico?
    Wait... What? You mean no more Corona Light, Cuervo Gold, slushy margaritas, tortilla chips and salsa?!?! Farking liberals...
    "It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Wait... What? You mean no more Corona Light, Cuervo Gold, slushy margaritas, tortilla chips and salsa?!?! Farking liberals...
    If it saves just one child's life................

Covfefe
    If it saves just one child's life................
    I very much suspect Corona Light, Cuervo Gold, slushy margaritas, tortilla chips and salsa as class of beverages and food have led to the creation of far more children's lives than have been taken because of them. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast