Ford's new Focus electric car
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Motorator

Ford's new Focus electric car

This is a full electric meaning it makes do without the Volt's onboard range extension capability. It directly compares with the Nissan LEAF - both have range limitations below 100 miles before running out of juice, but the Ford has a stronger charging capability than the LEAF which means its charge time is a few hours shorter.

I think it is sleek and attractive, especially compared to the dowdy looking LEAF.

Beam me up, baby.

Big is relative
    I'd buy one if it met my commuting needs. We'll see later this year.
    Retired sailor

Covfefe
    Good looking car. MUCH more attractive than the Leaf.

Banned forever.....or not
    Questions

Sell price?
    Range mid winter with heater on, or mid summer with AC on all the time?
    Cost for a "fill up"
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Matnlely Dregaend
    I don't own a black turtleneck. I imagine this disqualifies me from owning an electric car?
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    I don't own a black turtleneck. I imagine this disqualifies me from owning an electric car?
    I live near Bainbridge Island, WA. Black turtlenecks, NPR license plate frames, coexist bumper stickers, etc are the standard issue items. With all the stop and go traffic on the island, I don't know how well electrics will fare. I've ridden next to a few Nissan Leafs, they are quieter than a bike, just tire noise.
    Retired sailor

Milk was a bad choice.
    Do you work for the electric car industry?

Matnlely Dregaend
    It costs $40,000!

What a joke, a regular Focus can be had for under $20K, even with all the fed/state rebates you'd have to drive it to infinity to make it economically viable. Even at $4 gas, you'd have to drive 80,000 miles to spend $10K in gasoline for a regular Focus that averages 32mpg. The break even point would be way over 100,000 miles.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

A Story of Love
    I doubt it. Steve Jobs never owned an electric car, AFAIK. He drove a Mercedes-Benz.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

A Story of Love
    It costs $40,000!

What a joke, a regular Focus can be had for under $20K, even with all the fed/state rebates you'd have to drive it to infinity to make it economically viable. Even at $4 gas, you'd have to drive 80,000 miles to spend $10K in gasoline for a regular Focus that averages 32mpg. The break even point would be way over 100,000 miles.
    Wouldn't there be that $7500 federal tax rebate? That would reduce your time to break-even by about 40 percent, though yes, it'd still take quite some time to get there.

But this is just a re-hash of the Volt thread, really. Again, electrics and plug-ins are not quite at the point where they make sense for everyone in purely economic terms, but there are other reasons to purchase them.

And you do have to get the ball rolling somewhere, so that economies of scale and investments in the technology are sufficient to the task of lowering the costs of said technology significantly. Once that happens, the "ZOMG, it's so EXPENSIVE!" screaming will die down. Either that, or eventual $6/gallon gas may achieve the same effect.

And along the lines of new technologies... a lot of ppl laughed at the Prius when it debuted. They aren't laughing so much anymore. Toyota sells a half-million of them worldwide every year now.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Just saw this electric Focus on their website. Wow, $40,000 thats alot of $$$. Maybe I'm just 'old school', but I don't know about an 'all' electric car,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    The Focus EV will be similar to the Leaf. See energy cost per year below. I used PG&E's E9B rates off-peak.

Ricardo Cabeza
    I would probably be quite happy with an all electric. Except, I sometimes need extended range. The Volt would work well, except, I'm to cheap to pay that much.

What I really want is a small wagon that gets 50 mpg, like they sell in Europe but won't let us have.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I don't think an all electric car would work for me. My commute is 36 miles round trip, I work at a hospital thats located in a high crime area.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    I would probably be quite happy with an all electric. Except, I sometimes need extended range. The Volt would work well, except, I'm to cheap to pay that much.

What I really want is a small wagon that gets 50 mpg, like they sell in Europe but won't let us have.
    I think EVs on not for everyone, but I think many EV owners that have a extra parking space will keep there 'classic car' (old gas car) for road trips.

EVs remind me of the story of the original Honda Insight that the EPA rated at 53 MPG combined (Original it was EPA rated 65 MPG combined before EPA changed there testing). Mine is 12 years old and I have gotten 64.1 MPG over the time since I bought the car used.

Even if the hybrid system is gutted from the Insight, the Insight still gets 57 MPG. It does this by being light and aerodynamic. It is a 2 seat hatch, but my bikes fit well in the hatch --better than a trunk.

Well, the story is that the most efficient production car ever only sold 17,020 Insight over the ~7 years of production worldwide. Yet the Nissan Leaf has sold more cars in the first year of production than the Insight sold in 7 years. The Leaf sold 27,000 from December 2010 to March 2012. So, EV sales are going to be just fine.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    ^

That insight was a well thought out vehicle. Not even super expensive. I am a CRX fan so the 2 door hatch always appealed to me. Even the original CRX got fantastic gas milage, but that was at a time when safety features were non existant and the cars were sub 1 ton.

That Focus looks good, and even the Volt looks good, but the price on these things is outrageous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    This reminds me of the Miyata. For several years, Miyatas found themselves in garages next to Mercedes, BMW, and other high $$ cars because it was the only little roadster in the game and the car was compelling enough to punch above it's weight (price) class. After 6 or so years, everyone had a competitor for it.

I don't think these electrics are going to sell directly against their gas counterparts, they will displace other $40+k cars (BMW 3, Lexus) with drivers that are happy to pay $40-50k for a car and find the electric angle appealing. Unfortunately, they will have to "slum" is in a Volt or Focus instead of an electric 3-series BMW for now.

I'd bet the percentage of drivers who keep them long enough to get ahead of the gas savings will be small. They will trade in for whatever comes out next and whoever gets their used E-car will reap the cost benefits.

Who knows, maybe gas will rocket up to $10/gal. in the next few years and drive the cost of these cars higher?
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidka View Post
    Unfortunately, they will have to "slum" is in a Volt or Focus instead of an electric 3-series BMW for now.
    Well, I'd be happy to wait until 2015 for this baby:

bmw-i8-concept-spyder_100386858_l.jpg

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Well, I'd be happy to wait until 2015 for this baby:

bmw-i8-concept-spyder_100386858_l.jpg
    How does it handle in 5" of snow
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    How does it handle in 5" of snow
    Snow? Then something like this might work:

Don't know about 5 feet, though, with just about any SUV...

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Snow? Then something like this might work:

Don't know about 5 feet, though, with just about any SUV...
    Did you work for Spinal Tap?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Did you work for Spinal Tap?
    Who or what is "Spinal Tap"?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Who or what is "Spinal Tap"?
    Stonehenge-Spinaltap - YouTube

RoadBikeReview Member
    harping that some of the hybrid/EV vehicles as being too expensive doesn't mean that they won't sell.

not every car buyer makes a purchase based strictly on rock-bottom price. a considerable number take other factors into account...styling, projected image, performance, load-capacity, etc etc. I've known more than one person who purchased a more expensive model based on someting as arbitrary as available paint colors.

keeping a car for 80K miles before breaking even on fuel costs is completely reasonable for a lot of owners, especially if they have other motivations for buying the newer technology.

oh, and here's a newsflash, gasoline is not going to get cheaper.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I have seen BMW's Active E (all electric) driving around the south San Francisco Bay. I think they are on special lease only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast