Game changer - Santorum wins Iowa
    eminence grease

Game changer - Santorum wins Iowa

They finally got enough people together with the requisite number of fingers to count the votes and Santorum has won by 34!

Iowa Caucus | Rick Santorum Wins Iowa | 34 Votes | Mediaite
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Low rep power
    Too late- the headlines already gave it to Mittens, and nobody cares at this point.

What's the expression about old newspapers and wrapping fish? The electorate has a memory that can be measured in milliseconds- much of the time anyway.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

waterproof*
    I blame Diebold.
    * not actually a Rock Star

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b View Post
    How many fingers does Diebold have?
    "How many do you want them to have?"

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    I blame Diebold.
    How many fingers does Diebold have?

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by saf-t View Post
    Too late- the headlines already gave it to Mittens, and nobody cares at this point.

What's the expression about old newspapers and wrapping fish? The electorate has a memory that can be measured in milliseconds- much of the time anyway.
    Santorum can make an issue out of it, though, and in a catchy way: "I'm the only candidate in this race who can beat Mitt Romney, because, well, I'm the only candidate in this race who HAS beaten Mitt Romney."

With Perry now out, it all comes down to whether or not Gingrich or Santorum can push the other out of the race, so that the social cons can all unite behind a single candidate in time to stop plastic Mitt.

It's the ONLY scenario now where Mittens doesn't get the nomination, short of someone finding evidence that he has 27 secret wives or something.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

eminence grease
    "How many do you want them to have?"
    Enough to adequately count the vote in Iowa.

Attached Images Attached Images

Low rep power
    On a slightly different (but related) topic, how shrill would the IA republican party be if 8 precincts worth of votes were lost during the general election- expecially if it was almost a dead heat?

Gotta wonder why with all of the voter ID things and other checks they put into place they couldn't manage to keep track of all the ballots- or why we haven't heard more complaining about it.....
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

waterproof*
    On a slightly different (but related) topic, how shrill would the IA republican party be if 8 precincts worth of votes were lost during the general election- expecially if it was almost a dead heat?

Gotta wonder why with all of the voter ID things and other checks they put into place they couldn't manage to keep track of all the ballots- or why we haven't heard more complaining about it.....
    Iowa does not have a voter ID law, and the caucuses don't work like that anyway.

Thanks for being ignorant.

You're Not the Boss of Me
    Iowa does not have a voter ID law, and the caucuses don't work like that anyway.

Thanks for being ignorant.

Whoa, pardner. That seems completely uncalled for.
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

Low rep power
    JayTee, it's fine- he's just feeling a little knee-jerky at the moment. I can cut him a little slack.

I remember reading somewhere that folks in the caucuses had to prove their identity in order to cast a ballot. If I'm wrong, mea culpa.

But that still doesn't address the lost ballot issue

You're Not the Boss of Me
    Frothy.
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

xxl
    Q: Since the GOP is officially calling this a "split decision," as they can't seem to find those eight missing precincts' votes (practicing for fall, I guess?) what happens if the nomination gets tight? Who gets those Iowa delegates?

A: Upon review, and the help of wiki, here's the answer:

"Unlike the first-in-the-nation primary in New Hampshire, the Iowa caucus does not result directly in national delegates for each candidate. Instead, caucus-goers elect delegates to county conventions, who in turn elect delegates to district and state conventions where Iowa's national convention delegates are selected. Ironically, the state conventions do not take place until the end of the primary and caucus season: Iowa is in fact one of the very last states to choose its delegates."

xxl
    JayTee, it's fine- he's just feeling a little knee-jerky at the moment. I can cut him a little slack.

I remember reading somewhere that folks in the caucuses had to prove their identity in order to cast a ballot. If I'm wrong, mea culpa.

But that still doesn't address the lost ballot issue
    Saf-t, the Iowa GOP did not require voter ID for its caucus, since voter ID-related fraud is only a problem in, um, other states. Or something.

Kinda funny, given how those same GOP Iowans pushed for a Voter ID law last year.

BTW, I noticed you and JayTee have the same last screen names, although you spell yours differently; are you all internet cousins?

Covfefe
    Scary that 8 precincts worth of votes have been lost. HTF does something like this happen?
    "It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Q: Since the GOP is officially calling this a "split decision," as they can't seem to find those eight missing precincts' votes (practicing for fall, I guess?) what happens if the nomination gets tight? Who gets those Iowa delegates?

A: Upon review, and the help of wiki, here's the answer:

"Unlike the first-in-the-nation primary in New Hampshire, the Iowa caucus does not result directly in national delegates for each candidate. Instead, caucus-goers elect delegates to county conventions, who in turn elect delegates to district and state conventions where Iowa's national convention delegates are selected. Ironically, the state conventions do not take place until the end of the primary and caucus season: Iowa is in fact one of the very last states to choose its delegates."
    Unless you get delegates that vote against the wishes of the voters who send them, nothing will change with this recount. Romney gets 6, Santorum gets 6, and Paul gets 6. Yes, the delegate split among the top 3 GOP contenders is 6-6-6!!! ZOMG!!!!!

(Delegates are assigned by proportion of votes, there are 25 total to be awarded in/by Iowa this year.)

Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91

Scary that 8 precincts worth of votes have been lost. HTF does something like this happen?

it was either ACORN or the 'New Black Panthers.'

Milk was a bad choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Maybe they disappeared because they were favorable to Ron Paul...

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

it was either ACORN or the 'New Black Panthers.'

If this were a regulatory failure Republicans would say it shows that we need fewer regulations.

Does it mean that Iowa needs less democracy/fewer elections or fewer precincts or a privatized electoral system or all three?

Those eight precincts should have a big oil pipeline rammed through them .
    "It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Post Conservatives Unite Moneybomb

interesting acronym.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (179.8 KB, 24 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (27.1 KB, 26 views)