Guidelines for posting in PO
    jaded bitter joy crusher

Guidelines for posting in PO

These are the rules and posting guidelines in effect in PO (revised Sept. 2, 2009). The normal rules of RBR apply as well of course.

Keep in mind this is an old community, with lots of water under the bridge. If you are new here, it might seem a shocking place, but if you understand how things run, you will understand it better. You might not like it though!

This board is primarily about debate. Attacking other's ideas cannot be restricted. Still, allowing the attacking of other people is a very bad idea.

Now, we can debate the technical meaning of "attacking a person" for a very long time. Or we can move on to some simple procedural rules I will be using effective now, and in the future as modified in this post.

Rule 1) Don't attack people that post here. Calling names is right out. So is overtly challenging their sincerity, honesty, or intelligence.

In addition, NEVER take someone's comment in PO about some public figure or public event as the basis for inferring something unpleasant about their personal life or secret desires. Just don't go there.

Rule 2) Attacking the arguments people make here is expected. You can feel free to contribute to the arguments of others too, if you are feeling constructive.

Rule 3) The moderator(s) will enforce cases of rule breaking of Rule 1 as they see fit, with the default action being a 24 hour ban. Bans can be longer as well, up to forever depending on circumstances. Attacking the person is the single thing that makes threads go "Boom!" fastest, so it is best not to head down that road. Can you push the line? Sure. But if you push the line, you take the risk.

I will generally issue a warning before issuing a ban, but if things are blowing up in the forum or if the violation is really egregious, I may ban the poster without warning.

Rule 4) the terms "imbasil," "moreon," and "asshat" and the phrases "your a idiot" and "retarded ewok" (with those spellings) are ritual insults in Politics Only, and we all agree they are meaningless. Feel free to use them ritually. Tip your asshat when you do. Feel free to never use them if it's not for you. Other insults in a similar vein will be tolerated at the moderator's discretion. If you think you can get away with them, you'd better have been posting here long enough to know how I think.

However, the well-known picture of a man with his head up his ass will henceforth be considered a very strong personal attack and will result in a ban with no further warnings, regardless whether you think it's equivalent to the ritual "asshat" insult.
    Rule 5a) Gratuitously provocative posts (trolls or flames) may result in a thread being locked, a post or thread deleted, or in extreme cases, a ban.

What constitutes trolling or flaming is somewhat in the eye of the moderator, so there is no firm rule, but the characteristics of a troll are a very provocative post with little content, or a post that appears to the moderator to be intended more to provoke inflammatory responses than to generate reasonable argument.

Rule 5b) trolls are kept as pets only if they are interesting and don't bite.

Rule 6) if a moderator locks a thread, especially if he or she does so with a warning to let a topic drop, starting a new thread on the same subject will result in a ban and the deletion of the new thread.

Some guidelines for making threads work better:

First, when replying to a post, please hit the "quote" button. That will thread your reply below the post you are replying to. Some people don't use the threaded structure, some do. This will make it easier to follow for everyone. Otherwise it can be hard to understand who you are responding to, and confusion can be the result. We have enough confusion as it is!

Second, when including quotes, please only include the parts that are relevant. Reposting 10 paragraphs of information in a quote and saying "Agree" just makes people scroll further to participate, and adds nothing to the conversation.

Third, do not change the words in the quote. The quote box says "Originally Posted by name", and if a person did not write the words but they are shown as being posted by them, is it right to make it look like they said something they didn't?

Some people alter a quote and follow that with something like "Fixed it for you", which is usually intended to be humorous. If the person involved does not object, no problem. If they object, I will delete the entire offending post.

Fourth, if you see someone else getting heated up, you don't have to wait for a moderator to notice and intervene. You can post a constructive suggestion to calm things down or use the "Bad Post" button to report it to the moderators.

Special guidelines about pasting material from other web sites:

First, if you paste things here, provide a link to the source.

Second, do not paste the entire article unless you have very good reason for doing so. If you want to use some information from and article from another website, please post a small part of the article to make your point and a link for people to follow. A good rule of thumb for most things is 3 paragraphs or less.

There are two reasons for this rule: Copying entire articles is a violation of copyright law. Also long cut and paste posts usually hurt the discussion. Pasting a 15 paragraph story is almost always a sign of laziness, showing that you couldn't be bothered to excerpt 3 paragraphs (with a link to the whole article) and add some commentary that you actually wrote putting the excerpt in context and connecting it to the post to which you're responding.

Third, do NOT paste the full HTML code of the source material. Post the text, and nothing else. If you post the full HTML, you may include things that I will frown on. These include advertisements. Advertisements can be purchased on this website and other Consumer Review sites, please don't give people freebies. If the images are relevant, and not copyrighted, then feel free to post them.

Also, when you paste the full HTML you may unintentionally paste some bad code, or even hostile code, and that can crash people's browsers and computers. It is not needed for anything, so stick to the plain text and format it as needed with the tools provided on this site.

Further, the full HTML will often include images and other objects that require downloading from other websites, and the more servers that must be contacted for each RBR page load, the slower the load time for EVERY user. Please be considerate of those you wish to debate.

If you post entire articles, or go very much longer than 3 paragraphs without a VERY good reason, your post risks being deleted.

Finally, pasting long articles without adding anything original is boring and boring the moderator is a mortal sin in PO.

I am happy to look into any complaints if people think they are being attacked or insulted. But it will be my call to make and I will judge cases by my standards. If you don't like my standards, I'm happy to listen to criticism.

Good governance starts with accountability and the PO moderator is accountable to all of you who post here. If you have a problem with the way I am moderating, you are welcome to post or start a thread criticizing my actions. My only demand is that the complaints be civil and moderate in tone.

If you feel that I do not respond appropriately to your criticism, you may complain to one of the administrators: Thien or Gregg. This is your forum and the moderator's role should always be in service to keeping the discussion lively but civil.

(note: closed thread for announcing the rules only. Discuss the rules in other threads please.)
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

jaded bitter joy crusher

Another warning about personal attacks

Here's a simple rule, just in case the posting guidelines did not make it clear: NEVER take someone's comment in PO about some public figure or public event as the basis for inferring something unpleasant about their personal life. Just don't go there.

If I see someone doing this in the future, I might give them a nice posting vacation without a warning shot.

jaded bitter joy crusher

Just to be clear: posting rules, ritual insults, etc.

"pervert" and "child molester" are NOT among the ritual insults we allow here. That means that if even you have humorous intent when you use them to describe someone who posts here, and even if you play cute and Glenn-Beckify them, you're going to take a long vacation.

jaded bitter joy crusher

Exclamation Unacceptable epithets

I shouldn't have to say this, BUT... we allow a lot of invective and coarse epithets in this forum, but sometimes I have to draw the line. There are many acceptable ways to express your displeasure with Republicans, but referring to Republicans as "pubes" is not one of them. That crosses the line into "fighting words" and will force me to remove the mothballs from the bunny suit of doom.

Sticky Valentine
    What about "rube?" As in: "I can't believe those bunch of rubes are giving something as awesome as teabagging such a bad name."

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

banned
    Awww Poor Repubics.. the party of Hardcore Junkie Pedophile Rush Limbaugh need protection from getting their feelings hurt.

Self-Banned
    So are we going to play a guessing game to find out what all of them are?

Sincerely,

Confused lib.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    So I'm guessing that the word 'lib' or 'libs' is unacceptable also? Isn't that refering to part of the female anatomy? Pubes is more funny than fighting. George Carlin is somewhere laughing his a$$ off about this one.

A Story of Love
    To be fair, we should not call them pubes. Or even Repubelickans.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkles
    George Carlin is somewhere laughing his a$$ off about this one.

Any excuse.

ab aeterno
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlegs2
    Awww Poor Repubics.. the party of Hardcore Junkie Pedophile Rush Limbaugh need protection from getting their feelings hurt.

How do comments like these not cross that same line? Posts like this are obviously vitriolic in nature. What is the reasoning for allowing such posts?

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDon
    How do comments like these not cross that same line? Posts like this are obviously vitriolic in nature. What is the reasoning for allowing such posts?

Ooooh... vitriol... we can't have that now, can we?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco
    So are we going to play a guessing game to find out what all of them are?

Sincerely,

Confused lib.
    Is it bigger than a bread box? I really suck at charades.

Self-Banned
    Should dems take being referred to as democrats instead of Democrats as an epithet?

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkles
    Is it bigger than a bread box? I really suck at charades.

I hope for your sake you weren't referring to Sarah Palin's genitalia because that would just be wrong.

P.S. In B4 the l0ck.
    Last edited by rocco; 01-31-2010 at 10:08 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco
    I hope for your sake you weren't referring to Sarah Palin's genitalia because that would just be wrong.
    Palin's gotta grow out those 'pubes' in Alaska to keep warm, and to cover her huge hoo haw. And yes, it's way bigger than a breadbox. I hear she smuggled a bag of poataoes back to Alaska, while she was attending the University of Idaho.

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    That crosses the line into "fighting words" and will force me to remove the mothballs from the bunny suit of doom.
    The amount of intelligent or constructive commentary displayed in the comments on this thread proves my point. "Pubes" is out. Push other boundaries at your risk. I prefer to moderate with a light touch with lots of rough give and take.

However, if things melt down I will have to, very reluctantly, become much less flexible. And if I do, I will be pissed off and looking to post a few heads on tall spikes to set clear examples. That is all.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" --- Admiral Yamamoto (attributed)