GUNS don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people........
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 115
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,594

    GUNS don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people........

    ........specifically, toddlers kill people: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ople-this-year

  2. #2
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,761
    We obviously need a congressional investigation into what is causing these toddlers to turn into homicidal maniacs. I blame the video games that they are playing...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,594
    Could be, though I thought it was lack of prayer in schools.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,223
    Blame? I put my money on an irresponsible gun owner that left a loaded weapon in a place a toddler could get it.

  5. #5
    DBT
    DBT is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Could be, though I thought it was lack of prayer in schools.
    Are you reading my FB wall for your information?

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,230
    23 deaths? This year?

    MY.GOD.

    I'm very glad that the Washington Post is there to bring such an epidemic to light.

    ..but...

    I guess thy could have bee like USA today and reported something like this:

    Children hurt by lawn mowers: Predictable, preventable

    ...but that only effects 17,000 children a year...easily nothing compared to the 23 firearm deaths I guess.





    Gotta love sensationalism. We're literally surrounded by things that kill so many people/children each year...but a something silly like drowning or a lawnmower just doesn't sound as sexy as FIREARM VIOLENCE!!!!

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    ........specifically, toddlers kill people: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ople-this-year
    Or, Tuesday in Texas.

    Why there? More lawnmowers?

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,594
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    Are you reading my FB wall for your information?
    Please, I wouldn't last 5 minutes on FB without being unfriended into oblivion.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,594
    Lawnmowers are dangerous and so are cars, but the guns are the most optional. Plus, toddlers aren't the ones doing the driving (though I'm guessing plenty of parents are allowing toddlers to drive lawnmowers.)

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    guns are the most optional
    Parent with a lawnmower—meh.

    Parent with a handgun?

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Lawnmowers are dangerous and so are cars, but the guns are the most optional. Plus, toddlers aren't the ones doing the driving (though I'm guessing plenty of parents are allowing toddlers to drive lawnmowers.)
    Why are guns more optional? A goat will take care of a lawn just fine, plus lawnmowers are terrible for global warming which causes us to move people out of Louisiana swamps. Then again, I suppose goats fart, making them nearly carbon neutral with a lawnmower. And those horns, toddlers must look out for those horns. Them darn things are dangerous. Thank God (or a lucky unicorn if you prefer) that we don't have more goats.

    Here's the deal, many that live in the city or apartments may have no need or desire for a lawnmower and thus do not own one. Same thing with guns, don't need or want one? You are free to not buy one. Those that have the need or desire to own one have the right to, just keep kids at a safe distance and store them properly.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    Why are guns more optional? A goat will take care of a lawn just fine, plus lawnmowers are terrible for global warming which causes us to move people out of Louisiana swamps. Then again, I suppose goats fart, making them nearly carbon neutral with a lawnmower. And those horns, toddlers must look out for those horns. Them darn things are dangerous. Thank God (or a lucky unicorn if you prefer) that we don't have more goats.

    Here's the deal, many that live in the city or apartments may have no need or desire for a lawnmower and thus do not own one. Same thing with guns, don't need or want one? You are free to not buy one. Those that have the need or desire to own one have the right to, just keep kids at a safe distance and store them properly.

    Yep. I was always fascinated by lawnmowers as a kid, always wanting to look at them, check them out, mow the lawn. You too I bet! Couldn't wait to mow the lawn! Even as a toddler! Kind of hard to start it, but . . . Lawnmowers had to be locked up around me!

  13. #13
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    38,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Typetwelve View Post
    23 deaths? This year?

    MY.GOD.

    I'm very glad that the Washington Post is there to bring such an epidemic to light.

    ..but...

    I guess thy could have bee like USA today and reported something like this:

    Children hurt by lawn mowers: Predictable, preventable

    ...but that only effects 17,000 children a year...easily nothing compared to the 23 firearm deaths I guess.






    Gotta love sensationalism. We're literally surrounded by things that kill so many people/children each year...but a something silly like drowning or a lawnmower just doesn't sound as sexy as FIREARM VIOLENCE!!!!

    Q: How many lawnmower deaths resulted from toddlers operating mowers?

    Gotta love false equivalencies.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,202
    After my "play guns" phase, around age 10 I discovered . . . blowguns!

    I bought one right out of Popular Mechanics magazine, with six-inch steel darts! "Bam" in the fence!

    For some reason my parents trashed the blowgun and made me mow the lawn instead—but my brothers and I couldn't get enough of lawnmowers and yardwork; we were fascinated by it despite the danger! Maybe because of it!

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Q: How many lawnmower deaths resulted from toddlers operating mowers?

    Gotta love false equivalencies.
    Ah...the "let's narrow down the details to make a tiny and exclusive pool of data approach" Got it.

    I figured I'd look at unintentional deaths/injuries of children in the US via different means.

    You want to boil it down to highly exclusive things to help prove your point of view; that is a whopping pool of 23 out of 350,000,000 citizens are involved with one very specific death. Making it seem like it is such a huge deal, that it deserves a spotlight on a national scale.

    Sure thing. Keep boiling...I'm sure you'd be able to make millions of molehills into mountains taking that approach. Here's one for you...25 or so toddlers/infants suffocate with plastic bags each year...should the Washington Post do an article on it as well?


    My point is simple...the media doesn't like a thing so they're going to do their best to make it seem like it spawned from the pit of hell. Even if this means making tiny points of highly restrictive data to prove points that simply do not exist in the broad scope. If Americans get riled up every time 25 American citizens are killed in the many ways they are each year...we'd do nothing but complain constantly and be swimming in an ocean of newspaper articles about each way one can die with an item.


    But no, this involves firearms...and people just love to hate firearms.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,594
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Yep. I was always fascinated by lawnmowers as a kid, always wanting to look at them, check them out, mow the lawn. You too I bet! Couldn't wait to mow the lawn! Even as a toddler! Kind of hard to start it, but . . . Lawnmowers had to be locked up around me!
    Doesn't help that lawnmowers are romanticized in movies and comics. Kids grow up playing "lawns and mowers," chasing each other around with pretend mowers.

    People always brag about how they could be a hero with a lawnmower. This makes kids want to check them out.

    In other news: Goats are being used to clear out the poison ivy from Prospect Park. I think this costs around $15k to rent them. So much for the goat option for the average homeowner.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Doesn't help that lawnmowers are romanticized in movies and comics. Kids grow up playing "lawns and mowers," chasing each other around with pretend mowers.

    People always brag about how they could be a hero with a lawnmower. This makes kids want to check them out.

    In other news: Goats are being used to clear out the poison ivy from Prospect Park. I think this costs around $15k to rent them. So much for the goat option for the average homeowner.
    Yes! The good old days—playing Landscapers and Indians!

    Probably how the phrase "mow 'em down" originated.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Typetwelve View Post
    Ah...the "let's narrow down the details to make a tiny and exclusive pool of data approach" Got it.
    right. comparing deaths to deaths and not deaths to injuries is just soooo unfair. shame on xxl.
    Blows your hair back.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,202
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    right. comparing deaths to deaths and not deaths to injuries is just soooo unfair.
    Don't get me started on rocks!

  20. #20
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    38,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Typetwelve View Post
    Ah...the "let's narrow down the details to make a tiny and exclusive pool of data approach" Got it.

    I figured I'd look at unintentional deaths/injuries of children in the US via different means.

    You want to boil it down to highly exclusive things to help prove your point of view; that is a whopping pool of 23 out of 350,000,000 citizens are involved with one very specific death. Making it seem like it is such a huge deal, that it deserves a spotlight on a national scale.

    Sure thing. Keep boiling...I'm sure you'd be able to make millions of molehills into mountains taking that approach. Here's one for you...25 or so toddlers/infants suffocate with plastic bags each year...should the Washington Post do an article on it as well?


    My point is simple...the media doesn't like a thing so they're going to do their best to make it seem like it spawned from the pit of hell. Even if this means making tiny points of highly restrictive data to prove points that simply do not exist in the broad scope. If Americans get riled up every time 25 American citizens are killed in the many ways they are each year...we'd do nothing but complain constantly and be swimming in an ocean of newspaper articles about each way one can die with an item.


    But no, this involves firearms...and people just love to hate firearms.

    Ah, the "let's try using false equivalencies to minimize a problem" approach. Got it.

    I figured you wouldn't answer my question...and you didn't.

    Your speculation on what you think I want helps to detract from that, as does your flawed approach of focusing on statistical rarity as a proxy for risk. (Here's why, in a nutshell: Just about everyone would agree that space travel is very risky, yet almost no one dies from it.)

    "Simple" is saying something such as "people just love to hate firearms," as it suggests that people who want to do something about excessive firearm deaths in this country are mere "haters."

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,526
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Ah, the "let's try using false equivalencies to minimize a problem" approach. Got it.

    I figured you wouldn't answer my question...and you didn't.

    Your speculation on what you think I want helps to detract from that, as does your flawed approach of focusing on statistical rarity as a proxy for risk. (Here's why, in a nutshell: Just about everyone would agree that space travel is very risky, yet almost no one dies from it.)

    "Simple" is saying something such as "people just love to hate firearms," as it suggests that people who want to do something about excessive firearm deaths in this country are mere "haters."
    Yeah but wait till a toddler launches mama to the moon.

    I think he makes a pretty good argument, the gun is what the news is about and not the death.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Ah, the "let's try using false equivalencies to minimize a problem" approach. Got it.

    I figured you wouldn't answer my question...and you didn't.

    Your speculation on what you think I want helps to detract from that, as does your flawed approach of focusing on statistical rarity as a proxy for risk. (Here's why, in a nutshell: Just about everyone would agree that space travel is very risky, yet almost no one dies from it.)

    "Simple" is saying something such as "people just love to hate firearms," as it suggests that people who want to do something about excessive firearm deaths in this country are mere "haters."
    You are quite the person to debate with...aren't you?

    I've read enough of your tripe to know where you stand on issues such as this...so don't play the "neutral observer" card with me.

    You want to know how many toddlers die or are injured out of that pool of 17K I pointed out? Look it up yourself.

    My point stands. 25 anything out of a pool of 350 million is a drop in the bucket, I don't care what it is. You want to worry about it, knock yourself out, I imagine it's extremely hard to sleep at night being such a bleeding heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    I think he makes a pretty good argument, the gun is what the news is about and not the death.
    ...and that point is beyond lost on so many lemmings...

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,594
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Yes! The good old days—playing Landscapers and Indians!

    Probably how the phrase "mow 'em down" originated.
    I think we may have accidentally stumbled upon the solution to all those lazy teenagers who don't have any desire to mow the lawn.......

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Typetwelve View Post
    I imagine it's extremely hard to sleep at night being such a bleeding heart.

    Hmmm...

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,594
    25 anything out of a pool of 350 million is a drop in the bucket

    But what's being done to minimize those? This is with gun laws, "responsible" parents, gun safes, etc.

    We're already working on self-driving cars, and pool ownership (around here) brings down the value of a house. It's hard to get around owning a car, but not having a gun (unless you live off the grid) doesn't make a large difference in people's everyday lives.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bombs don't kill people
    By hikertoo in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 04:21 PM
  2. Explosives: They don't kill people, people kill people.
    By MR_GRUMPY in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 10:26 PM
  3. guns kill people
    By easyridernyc in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 12-19-2012, 10:33 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
  5. Kill 191 people, spend six years in jail
    By mohair_chair in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 12:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.