Holy Crap, Gallup Called Me!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Holy Crap, Gallup Called Me!

I answered the phone as Gallup showed in the CallerID, about a twenty minute interview, somewhat difficult to remain consistent as the multi-choice questions kept having different choices...One question, on a scale of -5 to +5 with 0 being neutral??? What??? Next question...on a scale of extremely disapprove to extremely agreee...next question...on a scale of genocidal hatred to unconditional love....ok, I made the last one up, but that's the way it seemed to go...
    I was frustrated by simple questions having a wide selection of answers as above, and the complex questions having only approve/disapprove answers.
    The interviewer was pleasant and laughed at my jokes...therefore I approve of Gallup.
    Anybody else been called by any of the polling organizations, this was definitely a first for me.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    The only thing more evil than politicians are political pollsters. We hates them, we do.

supervillain

banned
    I've never been called by a pollster, but I have received emails from many Nigerian generals offering me millions.

waterproof*
    Yeah I've done polls. Mainly consumer type stuff but at least once I recall a TX statewide election poll.

And I'm not counting push polls where they hang up if you get the first answer wrong ("do you support our guy?"

+1 on the difficult wording of the questions. But I'm sure you know that the wording is one of the key factors that pollsters obsess over, along with sampling. It's why I'm always skeptical of poll results unless I can see the actual questions and their reply options. Just a sample size and a confidence score don't do it for me.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Soon to be banned
    IMO, the polls are screwed cause they can't reach the population who've dropped their landlines...

banned
    I think I read somewhere that +90% of households still have landlines as their primary phones. I'm not sure how that would figure into the equation.