How much did the Saudis know, and when did they know it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    38,370

    How much did the Saudis know, and when did they know it?

    "...in sworn statements that seem likely to reignite the debate, two former senators who were privy to top secret information on the Saudis’ activities say they believe that the Saudi government might have played a direct role in the terrorist attacks.

    “I am convinced that there was a direct line between at least some of the terrorists who carried out the September 11th attacks and the government of Saudi Arabia,” former Senator Bob Graham, Democrat of Florida, said in an affidavit filed as part of a lawsuit brought against the Saudi government and dozens of institutions in the country by families of Sept. 11 victims and others. Mr. Graham led a joint 2002 Congressional inquiry into the attacks.

    His former Senate colleague, Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, a Democrat who served on the separate 9/11 Commission, said in a sworn affidavit of his own in the case that “significant questions remain unanswered” about the role of Saudi institutions. “Evidence relating to the plausible involvement of possible Saudi government agents in the September 11th attacks has never been fully pursued,” Mr. Kerrey said.


    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/us...link.html?_r=1

  2. #2
    Milk was a bad choice.
    Reputation: erj549's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,338
    What? You don't think all the questions about the events of 9/11 have been sufficiently addressed by our loving and gracious government? I'll go ahead and save others the trouble:


  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,526
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    "...in sworn statements that seem likely to reignite the debate, two former senators who were privy to top secret information on the Saudis’ activities say they believe that the Saudi government might have played a direct role in the terrorist attacks.

    “I am convinced that there was a direct line between at least some of the terrorists who carried out the September 11th attacks and the government of Saudi Arabia,” former Senator Bob Graham, Democrat of Florida, said in an affidavit filed as part of a lawsuit brought against the Saudi government and dozens of institutions in the country by families of Sept. 11 victims and others. Mr. Graham led a joint 2002 Congressional inquiry into the attacks.

    His former Senate colleague, Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, a Democrat who served on the separate 9/11 Commission, said in a sworn affidavit of his own in the case that “significant questions remain unanswered” about the role of Saudi institutions. “Evidence relating to the plausible involvement of possible Saudi government agents in the September 11th attacks has never been fully pursued,” Mr. Kerrey said.


    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/us...link.html?_r=1
    What were the findings in the official report filed by the investigative committee Bob Graham chaired?

  4. #4
    Milk was a bad choice.
    Reputation: erj549's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    What were the findings in the official report filed by the investigative committee Bob Graham chaired?
    If I recall the story correctly, the entire section about the Saudis was completely redacted. So we have no idea what it said.

    Edited to add sources:

    The report surveyed the origins of the attacks and offered a detailed account of what was known about the plot and its perpetrators. It was made available to the public and even became a national bestseller.

    But the 28 pages which make up Part Four of the document, entitled "Findings, Discussion and Narrative Regarding Certain Sensitive National Security Matters," were almost entirely redacted. These pages are virtually blank, as if a hidden hand of some sort had blotted out all the material contained therein, which is in fact what happened.
    As CBS news reported on July 30, 2003, "the redacted section lays out a money trail between Saudi Arabia and supporters of al-Qaida."

    Among others, it singles out Omar al-Bayoumi, a Saudi intelligence agent who provided financial assistance to two of the hijackers prior to the attacks. Al- Bayoumi is said to have received funds from a charitable trust run by the wife of the Saudi Ambassador to the US.
    In the past, Graham sought to get the redacted material in the 9/11 report released, but he was repeatedly rebuffed. His co-chair, Senator Shelby, also supported its publication, as did top Democratic representative Nancy Pelosi and others.

    In 2004, Graham went so far as to write a nonfiction book, Intelligence Matters, but US officials succeeded in censoring key portions on grounds of national security, though Graham says much of the material was about "the role of the Saudis in 9/11."
    Source

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,526
    Quote Originally Posted by erj549 View Post
    If I recall the story correctly, the entire section about the Saudis was completely redacted. So we have no idea what it said.
    Were these two gentlemen raising questions then? I would assume that at least one of them knew what was in the redacted parts then as now. Why is now the right time to start making provocative statements without supporting them directly with solid information? I'm sure it has nothing to do with election cycles or anything like that.

  6. #6
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16,998
    I am still awaiting the investigative report on the gunmen who fired from the grassy knoll.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,526
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    I am still awaiting the investigative report on the gunmen who fired from the grassy knoll.
    And I want to get to the bottom of that Japanese sneak attack and FDR's seeming indifference to the warnings. While we are on it let's look into that Gulf of Tonkin thing one more time. None of these things have really been answered honestly to the American public. Did FDR and LBJ lie and people died? Hey, there's a catchy slogan in there I think. Oh, and let's not forget that theatrical "moon landing."

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lotophage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,657
    Wow. Crazy, unsavory and amoral stuff in the world of international diplomacy. protecting regimes that have actually done us harm. Protecting leaders who brutalize their populations, and ours.

    That never happens, ever.

    From now on, I propose we only buy oil directly from people who completely agree with us and never ever do anything we don't agree with. And we make it illegal to sell any gas manufactured here to anyone else.

    Because clearly, hybrids are a complete waste of time, efficiency is a pipe dream and it's a gawdamned constitutional right to drive a Humscalade wherever I want. You can't make me weatherstrip my windows you gubmint lovin hippie. And gummit regulations on business are A-OK as long as that's what it takes to make sure my gas stays under $2. Like in the bible.

    This is the dirty laundry that comes with an unquenchable addiction.

    Don't like that your dealer makes you blow him before he sells you smack 'cause you're low on cash? Tough luck. Deal with it. Or get clean.

    Oh, you think we should just take all the smack from the dealer? Good luck fighting all the other junkies. They aren't rich. They're used to doing without. They'll carve your @ss up.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    Wow. Crazy, unsavory and amoral stuff in the world of international diplomacy. protecting regimes that have actually done us harm. Protecting leaders who brutalize their populations, and ours.

    That never happens, ever.

    From now on, I propose we only buy oil directly from people who completely agree with us and never ever do anything we don't agree with. And we make it illegal to sell any gas manufactured here to anyone else.

    Because clearly, hybrids are a complete waste of time, efficiency is a pipe dream and it's a gawdamned constitutional right to drive a Humscalade wherever I want. You can't make me weatherstrip my windows you gubmint lovin hippie. And gummit regulations on business are A-OK as long as that's what it takes to make sure my gas stays under $2. Like in the bible.

    This is the dirty laundry that comes with an unquenchable addiction.

    Don't like that your dealer makes you blow him before he sells you smack 'cause you're low on cash? Tough luck. Deal with it. Or get clean.

    Oh, you think we should just take all the smack from the dealer? Good luck fighting all the other junkies. They aren't rich. They're used to doing without. They'll carve your @ss up.
    Of course evil govt conspiracies exist. After all, paranoids had to get their inspiration from somewhere, didn't they? (It all started with Bush)

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lotophage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Of course evil govt conspiracies exist. After all, paranoids had to get their inspiration from somewhere, didn't they? (It all started with Bush)
    Nope. $2 gas is a god given right. These commie socialists are trying to social engineer me out of my Hummer and onto a bus with the poor people.

    We shoulda just took all the oil from the saudis.

    Hell, We should just hold Mecca hostage. Park a noookular satellite launch platform right over the damn thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

  11. #11
    n00bsauce
    Reputation: Mel Erickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,507
    Fair Trade oil. Hey, it's working for coffee.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

    There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

    "We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lotophage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    Fair Trade oil. Hey, it's working for coffee.
    Sure, it's $10 a gallon more expensive, but now you can sleep well at night knowing your car is full of artisinally refined, fair trade sourced 90.3 octane gas...
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

  13. #13
    n00bsauce
    Reputation: Mel Erickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    Sure, it's $10 a gallon more expensive, but now you can sleep well at night knowing your car is full of artisinally refined, fair trade sourced 90.3 octane gas...
    And it tastes much better, too.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

    There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

    "We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lotophage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    And it tastes much better, too.
    The mental image of artisnal foundry workers dressed like Daniel Day Lewis in "There will be Blood" is gonna be hard to get rid of.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

  15. #15
    n00bsauce
    Reputation: Mel Erickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    The mental image of artisnal foundry workers dressed like Daniel Day Lewis in "There will be Blood" is gonna be hard to get rid of.
    Glad I'm able to help.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

    There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

    "We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

  16. #16
    ___________
    Reputation: bricoleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,506
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit

    Were these two gentlemen raising questions then? I would assume that at least one of them knew what was in the redacted parts then as now. Why is now the right time to start making provocative statements without supporting them directly with solid information? I'm sure it has nothing to do with election cycles or anything like that.


    explained in the article.


    Saudi Arabia May Be Tied to 9/11, 2 Ex-Senators Say - The New York Times

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,463
    Does the Saudi benefit from US attacking Iraq?

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,526
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post
    give me your synopsis, show me the smoking gun?

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    give me your synopsis, show me the smoking gun?
    Before it becomes a mushroom cloud.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,526
    Quote Originally Posted by etane View Post
    Before it becomes a mushroom cloud.
    Preferably. Or before I run out of gas.

  21. #21
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Reputation: DrRoebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    27,035
    Quote Originally Posted by etane View Post
    Does the Saudi benefit from US attacking Iraq?
    Were you alive during the Gulf War?
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut
    _____________________
    [ CaliFotos ]

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck View Post
    Were you alive during the Gulf War?
    Yup but just a pup then. What does that have to do with this?
    Last edited by etane; 03-09-2012 at 09:30 PM.

  23. #23
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Reputation: DrRoebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    27,035
    Quote Originally Posted by etane View Post
    Yup but just a pup then.
    We went to war to prevent Iraq -- which had gotten in prime striking distance when they invaded Kuwait -- from attacking Saudi Arabia next.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut
    _____________________
    [ CaliFotos ]

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck View Post
    We went to war to prevent Iraq -- which had gotten in prime striking distance when they invaded Kuwait -- from attacking Saudi Arabia next.
    So the Saudi was behind the US entering the first Gulf war and perhaps the second one as well?

    I am looking at the map... Iraq and Saudi Arabia are adjacent?

  25. #25
    banned
    Reputation: Live Steam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    Nope. $2 gas is a god given right. These commie socialists are trying to social engineer me out of my Hummer and onto a bus with the poor people.

    We shoulda just took all the oil from the saudis.

    Hell, We should just hold Mecca hostage. Park a noookular satellite launch platform right over the damn thing.
    That was our oil. The Saudis nationalized their oil reserves after US companies paid for the exploration. They pretty much forced Texaco and Esso to sell their stake in the oil finds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.