It's about time...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

It's about time...

Why did it take so long for the government to create some common sense rules like this?

US imposes visa rules for pregnant women on 'birth tourism'

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration on Thursday published new visa rules aimed at restricting “birth tourism," in which women travel to the U.S. to give birth so their children can have a coveted U.S. passport.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/us-i...173851578.html
    Word of the week: acquitted:
    The Democrats should "acquitted" when they were ahead.

Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

Opus was just napping
    Christ this is farking stupid as farking farks.

It is like Trump wakes up every day asking a single question--what stupid shiat can I do today.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Christ this is farking stupid as farking farks.

It is like Trump wakes up every day asking a single question--what stupid shiat can I do today.
    Does that mean that you are ok with people bypassing the immigration process, or you just think it should be addressed a different way?

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    Does that mean that you are ok with people bypassing the immigration process, or you just think it should be addressed a different way?
    Have no interest in interacting with you in a meaningful way.

Just pointing out that it is was and always will be stupid.

Have a nice day.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Someone.. shoot me.. I agree with this particular restriction.. which means I agree with the crazies here...

The reality is, there is a small but very lucrative industry that essentially sells US citizenship by facilitating birth on US soil. I am not talking about coming here to give birth because it's safer (although that is an excuse some people use, but lets face it, the US has a higher mortality rate of woman during birth than most of our developed country peers as evidenced by the high mortality rate of African American mothers according to recent studies), but coming here specifically to gain citizenship. This is something the US has been trying to tackle for a long time, long before Trump became the head clown.

RoadBikeReview Member
    IMO ... Not really

I'd prefer people enter the country legally, which in this case ... they are, shocking I know There reasons could be many, but a "Coveted" US Passport is only mostly coveted as there are others that will get you into more countries.

What we are going to see moving forward ... especially if the labor market remains strong ... is that we will not have enough workers to fill the positions needed. By limiting migration, we will be limiting our capacity as a country to prosper.

The GOP tends to be short-sighted on this as that means less "White" people by % in the country and we all know the GOP doesn't like anybody that isn't "White".

Most of the hardest working people I've met in the United States are either immigrants or illegal immigrants. I'll take them for any laborious task of natural born citizens any day and twice on Sundays.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    IMO ... Not really

I'd prefer people enter the country legally, which in this case ... they are, shocking I know There reasons could be many, but a "Coveted" US Passport is only mostly coveted as there are others that will get you into more countries.

What we are going to see moving forward ... especially if the labor market remains strong ... is that we will not have enough workers to fill the positions needed. By limiting migration, we will be limiting our capacity as a country to prosper.
    This should be great news for workers, businesses will have to compete to get workers. They will have to provide better pay and benefits to workers if they want to attract them. Winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    The GOP tends to be short-sighted on this as that means less "White" people by % in the country and we all know the GOP doesn't like anybody that isn't "White".

Most of the hardest working people I've met in the United States are either immigrants or illegal immigrants. I'll take them for any laborious task of natural born citizens any day and twice on Sundays.
    There isn't anything about color, how hard anyone works, etc.

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Someone.. shoot me.. I agree with this particular restriction.. which means I agree with the crazies here...

The reality is, there is a small but very lucrative industry that essentially sells US citizenship by facilitating birth on US soil. I am not talking about coming here to give birth because it's safer (although that is an excuse some people use, but lets face it, the US has a higher mortality rate of woman during birth than most of our developed country peers as evidenced by the high mortality rate of African American mothers according to recent studies), but coming here specifically to gain citizenship. This is something the US has been trying to tackle for a long time, long before Trump became the head clown.
    I prefer to not restrict women's rights, but that is me. I would also not prefer to continue the anti-immigration escalation in this country, but again that might just be me.

The new rules are likely on questionable legal grounds. Officials at U.S. consulates are barred from asking people whether they’re pregnant, but they'll be forced to make a judgment call anyway, according to the AP.

It’s also an open question of how effective the changes will be; depending on the origin country, B-2 visas are valid anywhere from one to ten years. “It is largely symbolic,” Migration Policy Institute analyst Sarah Pierce told BuzzFeed News, which obtained a draft of the cable earlier this week. “It’s not going to have a huge effect on the issue. This is mostly symbolic and another way to say the U.S. is closed.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    This should be great news for workers, businesses will have to compete to get workers. They will have to provide better pay and benefits to workers if they want to attract them. Winning.
    One would think ... yet, with unemployment numbers near record lows ... this isn't the case. There are tons of jobs out there, however wages are stagnant. Employers are not paying people more even though they need to fill positions ... they are just making current employers do more for the same amount of money.

So ... yet again, you are wrong ... so much winning for you!

There isn't anything about color, how hard anyone works, etc.
    Nope, however, by eliminating them out of the job pool ... you are eliminating some extremely hard working individuals that do jobs most other races don't want to do. I see it all the time in my field (I help people get jobs for a living) ... White/Caucasian workers will pass up jobs because they are too labor intensive or dirty for them to take, when individual of other races jump at the chance just to work.

You may not post about race and work ... however your original post was about limiting immigrants into this country and trying to limit "Anchor babies" a term I'm sure you prefer, by minorities.

So ... it is very relevant to this discussion.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    I prefer to not restrict women's rights, but that is me. I would also not prefer to continue the anti-immigration escalation in this country, but again that might just be me.

The new rules are likely on questionable legal grounds. Officials at U.S. consulates are barred from asking people whether they’re pregnant, but they'll be forced to make a judgment call anyway, according to the AP.

It’s also an open question of how effective the changes will be; depending on the origin country, B-2 visas are valid anywhere from one to ten years. “It is largely symbolic,” Migration Policy Institute analyst Sarah Pierce told BuzzFeed News, which obtained a draft of the cable earlier this week. “It’s not going to have a huge effect on the issue. This is mostly symbolic and another way to say the U.S. is closed.”
    It's only really womens rights because men cannot have a child (which I wish science would hurry up and fix so men can understand what woman go through and keep their noses out of things that they have no right being involved in). If men could give birth, I would have made the same statement. And I was referring specifically to the industry built around bringing women over with the sole purpose of providing their child US citizenship.

I have issues with the way immigrants (legal and illegally here) are being demonized when there are far more important things we should be worrying about, it's a problem, but not to the extent that the right wing crazies are making it.

As far as B1/B2 Visas, the limit is 180 days, not 10 years, every 180 days, if you plan on staying longer as there is no restriction on the number of times you can obtain these visas, requires you to leave the US and then return with a new 180 day Visa. My co workers (not oursourced, but we do have a lot of staff from our international offices working in the US) leave every 5 months for a week and then return with a new B2 visa. Same rules apply for B1, except for B1 you cannot seek work.

If someone happens to be here for a legitimate reason, and happens to give birth, congrats, your child is a US citizen, I have no issues with this, if you are here on a B2 Visa and you give birth, congrats, your child is a US citizen, again, no issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    There isn't anything about color
    You are lying again Dave. Countries that are part of the Visa Waiver Program will not be targeted. Nobody from Europe, Canada, Australia, etc will be asked

This targets brown folks.
    "I would like you to do us a favor"

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-...s-immigration/

You'd think so. But it seems that Americans don't want to work in the fields.

Today, farmworkers in the state earn about $30,000 a year if they work full time — about half the overall average pay in California. Most work fewer hours.

Some farmers are even giving laborers benefits normally reserved for white-collar professionals, like 401(k) plans, health insurance, subsidized housing and profit-sharing bonuses. Full-timers at Silverado Farming, for example, get most of those sweeteners, plus 10 paid vacation days, eight paid holidays, and can earn their hourly rate to take English classes.

But the raises and new perks have not tempted native-born Americans to leave their day jobs for the fields. Nine in 10 agriculture workers in California are still foreign born, and more than half are undocumented, according to a federal survey.
    So fruits & vegetables will go up in price or simply be much less available... this in a country with an obesity epidemic... can't imagine how more expensive fruits/veggies can have an impact. And all to keep Mexicans, who want to work in the fields, out of the country.
    The Republicans need to remember that OJ Simpson was acquitted too.

We’re keeping the oil. We have the oil. The oil is secure. We left troops behind, only for the oil. - DJT to Erdoğan 11/13/19

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    You are lying again Dave. Countries that are part of the Visa Waiver Program will not be targeted. Nobody from Europe, Canada, Australia, etc will be asked

This targets brown folks.
    Are you asserting that there are no "brown folks" living in the countries that the USA has the shared visa waiver program with? I'm sure that the "brown" folks in Europe, Canada, and Australia, etc would be shocked to learn of this.

It's very simple, the rule does not apply to people from countries that have the visa waiver program, no matter what color they are. The rule does apply to people from countries that we do not have the visa waiver program with, no matter what color they are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Are you asserting that there are no "brown folks" living in the countries that the USA has the shared visa waiver program with?

Of course not. Only a moronic troll would think that is what I am saying.

Which countries in Africa and South America will be exempt from Trump's new rule?

What the what???
    https://www.npr.org/2020/01/23/79887...-new-visa-rule

"The new rule says visa applicants who are coming to the U.S. for medical care must prove that they have the ability to pay for all the costs of their treatment."

So much for tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free, eh dave?
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Of course not. Only a moronic troll would think that is what I am saying.
    I'm glad to hear that. And I'm sure all of the "brown folks" from those countries are relieved that they aren't being targeted

Which countries in Africa and South America will be exempt from Trump's new rule?
    It looks like all the "brown folks" in Chile (South America) are relieved that they aren't being targeted as well. Here is the list to help you out:

https://www.dhs.gov/visa-waiver-program-requirements

Back on topic:

This law should help put everyone on the same playing field, if you want your kid to be an American citizen, then go through the proper immigration channels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    https://www.npr.org/2020/01/23/79887...-new-visa-rule

"The new rule says visa applicants who are coming to the U.S. for medical care must prove that they have the ability to pay for all the costs of their treatment."

So much for tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free, eh dave?
    Do you think that people from other countries should be able to come to our country for medical care and Americans should have to foot the bill? That seems like insanity to me. If so, would you have any restrictions as to the number of foreigners we should have to pay for?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your logic is based on the erroneous notion the US is a capitalistic economy. Its not and has been transformed into Neo-fascism, i.e., anti-organized labor and trickle-up wealth redistribution.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do we have numbers on how often this actually happens vs how often the the anti immigration crowd says it does? Reality vs make believe? What are the negatives of this rule? A fat person who isn't pregnant gets denied?

If anchor babies are mostly being born by people who come here illegally denying visas to fat people doesn't seem like it would solve much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Your logic is based on the erroneous notion the US is a capitalistic economy. Its not and has been transformed into Neo-fascism, i.e., anti-organized labor and trickle-up wealth redistribution.
    It seems to be working as it should here... McDonalds and other fast food places around here are having a tough time getting workers. They are starting at $11/hr around and offering $2500 tuition bonuses for college students that stay employed at least 90 days.

My daughter who is a freshman in college started working part-time at a rest home, no experience and no education... $13.40/hr plus they pay into a 401k account for her. Why? Because they are struggling to find workers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Chile (South America)
    Thanks for proving my point. Only one country in all of Africa and South American is exempt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    It seems to be working as it should here... McDonalds and other fast food places around here are having a tough time getting workers. They are starting at $11/hr around and offering $2500 tuition bonuses for college students that stay employed at least 90 days.

My daughter who is a freshman in college started working part-time at a rest home, no experience and no education... $13.40/hr plus they pay into a 401k account for her. Why? Because they are struggling to find workers.
    So all those stupid claims about how a $12 minimum wage would result in job loses and closed fast food restaurants were total nonsense. Good to know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for proving my point. Only one country in all of Africa and South American is exempt
    I'm sure that all of the "white folks" from those countries are saddened to hear that they are being targeted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So all those stupid claims about how a $12 minimum wage would result in job loses and closed fast food restaurants were total nonsense. Good to know.
    It depends on what the local economy will bear. The restaurant owners have to make the call on how much they can pay while still being able to stay in business. The government can't do that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I'm sure that all of the "white folks" from those countries are saddened to hear that they are being targeted.
    As usual your only concern is for white folks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast