Julian Assange....
Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast
    Scary Teddy Bear

Julian Assange....

Hero, or madman....

I kinda like the guy, but then I think wikileaks is pretty cool.

I know the US is trying to build a case against him, and have for some time, which is why he won't step foot here.

Sweden has now issued an interpol arrest warrant for a rape/sexual assault that they claim happened in August.

It makes no sense, cause the prosecuting attorney initiall said to drop it, as they had no evidence. Then, they wanted to question him, which reportedly offered to do via video conference, but they refused...and everything was quiet, and now...he releases the US documents, and BAM.......an interpol warrant....seems sketchy to me.

I think that I read that he was supposed to appear at a conference in NY this past summer, but they spotted several federal agents in the crowd, so he bailed....

I dunno, seems like a lot of people want to SHUT him up, permanently....

what's really interesting is his next target. Apparently Wikileaks has obtained over 10,000 documents pertaining to the banking industry here in the US, and one large bank in particular......I'm thinking Goldman Sachs probably, but who knows.......

Should make for some good reading.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

waterproof*
    Transparency's a beetch, ain't it?
    * not actually a Rock Star

Scary Teddy Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    Transparency's a beetch, ain't it?

Hey like I said, as long as names are vetted, I support it fully. Not big names.....but we also have to protect low lying operatives and civilians in other countries. That's not a reason not to release the information.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

RoadBikeReview Member
    My bet is Bank of America.

You are probably too young to remember the Pentagon Papers --- government's CYA is generally worth the risk of outing a few innocents along the path for the good of the people and their government.

Of course the quivering flag wavers over 50 will cry Wikifoul and call for his head ... like they did for Danial Ellsberg.

Scary Teddy Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd
    My bet is Bank of America.

You are probably too young to remember the Pentagon Papers --- government's CYA is generally worth the risk of outing a few innocents along the path for the good of the people and their government.

Of course the quivering flag wavers over 50 will cry Wikifoul and call for his head ... like they did for Danial Ellsberg.

I saw the movie in 2003, and I remember reading about it back in the 80's, but yeah, I had just been born when they were initially released.

RoadBikeReview Member
    More power to him, you think foreign governments(democracies) at the US's urging, be allowed to hide their activities from their citizens? Like a friend of mine who was a grunt AFCC dude told me once "never trust your government". That's all he would talk about his Spec Ops. He was based in Britian for more than 15 years. Sunlight is needed to keep democracies working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

Palm trees & sunshine!
    I'm indifferent to the "leaks". However, every time I see that as*hole's smug face on the news I just want to bash his brains in. Seriously. If he were next to me, I'd hurt him. So, if he ends up dead, regardless of why, I wouldn't care.

supervillain

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst
    Hero, or madman....

I kinda like the guy, but then I think wikileaks is pretty cool.

Then you might enjoy this:

http://zunguzungu.wordpress.com/2010...ment%E2%80%9D/
    Stout beers under trees, please.

banned
    Assange will probably die from a "mysterious illness" in a few weeks. Or a "car accident".

That's how it works. The dude is a marked man.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    I'm indifferent to the "leaks". However, every time I see that as*hole's smug face on the news I just want to bash his brains in. Seriously. If he were next to me, I'd hurt him. So, if he ends up dead, regardless of why, I wouldn't care.
    Bang!

banned
    That same anger is what the repigligans use to get you to vote for them even though you have to know they're going to screw up everything.

Again.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha & Omega
    That same anger is what the repigligans use to get you to vote for them even though you have to know they're going to screw up everything.

Again.

Where does your anger sway your vote? You're one of the most angry people on this forum. You hate everything. If I were as mad as you I wouldn't even waste my time voting.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Where does your anger sway your vote? You're one of the most angry people on this forum. You hate everything. If I were as mad as you I wouldn't even waste my time voting.
    I vote in every election. Political parties do not interest me. The viability of candidates do. What angers me is when politicians hide behind semantic nonsense when they are in over their heads and they know it.

I see it happen all the time.

banned
    Assange will probably die from a "mysterious illness" in a few weeks. Or a "car accident".

That's how it works. The dude is a marked man.
    That would be too obvious. He will be 'renditioned' to Sweden for trial. The results won't matter, as long as every story about him can include the phrase "convicted rapist", "accused rapist" or "acquitted rapist".

Wikileaks and "rapist" will be associated in the mind of the average American, and receptivity to the Wikileaks message will be effectively jammed.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus_Ex_Machina
    That would be too obvious. He will be 'renditioned' to Sweden for trial. The results won't matter, as long as every story about him can include the phrase "convicted rapist", "accused rapist" or "acquitted rapist".

Wikileaks and "rapist" will be associated in the mind of the average American, and receptivity to the Wikileaks message will be effectively jammed.
    Parallels Ellsberg that way, too; wonder if they'll try breaking in Assange's shrink's office.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus_Ex_Machina

Good point.

Assassination is so passe especially when you can assassinate a person's character instead.

Not Banned

it's clear

because they are using the classic ad hom attack on him

we can't debate what you are presenting so we'll just go after you
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Palm trees & sunshine!

Again.

What makes you think I vote Republican?

supervillain

banned
    What makes you think I vote Republican?
    Just a lucky guess.

banned
    It's pretty clear that if the guy is revealing secret information, possibly cracking into databases, then he's a criminal. Period.

Funny thing here is, the Dems didn't have much of an issue with this when he was posting secret docs about Iraq and the Bush administration, but now they have their panties in a wad because it them he's focused on.

I say try the guy as a spy and for violating our national security. Hey we all want to preserve the constitution and the rule of law, right?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    He's a Canadian. They freeze their asses off for 3/4s of the year. What can you expect? That's why they invented hockey. To release their frustrations and anger.

banned
    THe funny thing is, this last batch isn't anything that's exactly earth shattering.

What you mean a country tells it's diplomats to spy on other nation's diplomats?
    Ummm... Duh?

And the mostly Shiite Middle East is concerned that Sunni Iran might get the bomb?
    No sh!t.

Yes, these papers will probably cost Hillary Clinton her job as Secretary of State as every other country in the world does it's best Claude Rains impersonation over the "shocking revelations..." But that's to be expected. It's embarrassing to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar.

But is anyone actually surprised by any of this?

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Just a lucky guess.

By "lucky", do you mean "wrong"? If so, then you're definitely lucky.

supervillain

Opus was just napping
    By "lucky", do you mean "wrong"? If so, then you're definitely lucky.
    Are you being called a republican this week? Why just a couple of weeks ago I was sure you were being called a libbie.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush
    Are you being called a republican this week? Why just a couple of weeks ago I was sure you were being called a libbie.
    The one consistancy is that lib, repub or libertarian Ken will nuke your ass in an eye blink.

Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast