Like a bad penny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Like a bad penny

She keeps showing up. It looks like Cindy Sheehan is going to run for the US Senate from California. She doesn't make the announcement in a hotel lobby in LA, either. Rather, she makes it from the capital of Venezuela and gets an endorsement from Hugo Chavez, no less.

Oh well. It's a free country and there is no intelligence test required to run for office. Good luck, Cindy! I hope you get lots of press and lots of soundbites. And the picture of you and Hugo, wherever it is, is sure to be priceless. I'm sure Diane Feinstein is shaking in her Gucci boots.

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=4426216
    A church that doesn't provoke any crisis,
    A Gospel that doesn't unsettle,
    A word of God that doesn't get under anyone's skin,
    A word of God that doesn't touch the real sin of society around it,
    What kind of Gospel is that?

Oscar Romero

Jan 2004

Hard to understand hatred like that, Money

Personally, as a Vietnam vet and a guy with kids of military age, I have nothing but admiration and sympathy for her. It's only been in the last few years that I've understood what my parents must have felt when I was in VN. I admire Sheehan for standing up for something she believes in and for not letting her son's death go unmarked, as the Bushies surely would prefer she did.
    Here's an exercise for you: Compare and contrast Cindy Sheehan and Mary Bono, Sonny's ex-wife who took over his seat when he skied into the tree. I understand that being a hairdresser (or was it massage therapist?) is all the qualification you need for congress if you're a Republican, but still....

RoadBikeReview Member

Like I said

Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    Personally, as a Vietnam vet and a guy with kids of military age, I have nothing but admiration and sympathy for her. It's only been in the last few years that I've understood what my parents must have felt when I was in VN. I admire Sheehan for standing up for something she believes in and for not letting her son's death go unmarked, as the Bushies surely would prefer she did.
    Here's an exercise for you: Compare and contrast Cindy Sheehan and Mary Bono, Sonny's ex-wife who took over his seat when he skied into the tree. I understand that being a hairdresser (or was it massage therapist?) is all the qualification you need for congress if you're a Republican, but still....
    Run, Cindy, Run!!! I can't wait to see her statements on policy issues that are other than the war in Iraq. I especially can't wait to see that photo of her and Hugo.

And what do I care about Mary Bono? That's a non-issue. As to Cindy's qualifications, she sure has them. Just for your benefit, the Constitution spells out pretty clearly that one needs only have reached the age of 30 and been a citizen of the US for nine years. (http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec3.html) She appears to qualify.

Let her run. Lets see the debate. I would even contribute to her candidacy. The entertainment value of it alone would be worth the price of admission.

Oscar Romero

Jun 2004

You never know...

Quote Originally Posted by moneyman
    Run, Cindy, Run!!! I can't wait to see her statements on policy issues that are other than the war in Iraq. I especially can't wait to see that photo of her and Hugo.

And what do I care about Mary Bono? That's a non-issue. As to Cindy's qualifications, she sure has them. Just for your benefit, the Constitution spells out pretty clearly that one needs only have reached the age of 30 and been a citizen of the US for nine years. (http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec3.html) She appears to qualify.

Let her run. Lets see the debate. I would even contribute to her candidacy. The entertainment value of it alone would be worth the price of admission.
    You never know, she might end up being a good politician.

I ask again. What's wrong with being anti war?

Feb 2004

Whats wrong...?

Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    You never know, she might end up being a good politician.

I ask again. What's wrong with being anti war?
    ...it's bad for business.
    Charismatic Icon Animal Man

gazing from the shadows
    She keeps showing up. It looks like Cindy Sheehan is going to run for the US Senate from California. She doesn't make the announcement in a hotel lobby in LA, either. Rather, she makes it from the capital of Venezuela and gets an endorsement from Hugo Chavez, no less.

Reading comprehension.

She said she is considering it. Big deal.

I do notice that you and your ilk have given her what is probably her goal in such an announcement. You gave her attention and put her name out, and let her get her message out yet one more time. How does it feel to be a tool of Cindy Sheehan, used by her to do her bidding?
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dr hoo
    Reading comprehension.

She said she is considering it. Big deal.

I do notice that you and your ilk have given her what is probably her goal in such an announcement. You gave her attention and put her name out, and let her get her message out yet one more time. How does it feel to be a tool of Cindy Sheehan, used by her to do her bidding?
    by the way, the message coming from our ilk is "here's the latest libby [email protected] and the [email protected] shes spewing". its more of an oddity or freak show. kind of like the bearded lady at the circus or lobster boy.

if it has her bad mouthing feinstein (which i am sure it will) and results in an enormous west coast cat fight, then it feels great to be a tool.
    Last edited by bill105; 01-30-2006 at 06:09 AM.

Jun 2004

Who said it?

Quote Originally Posted by bill105
    by the way, the message coming from our ilk is "here's the latest libby [email protected] and the [email protected] shes spewing". its more of an oddity or freak show. kind of like the bearded lady at the circus or lobster boy.

if it has her bad mouthing feinstein (which i am sure it will) and results in an enormous west coast cat fight, then it feels great to be a tool.
    Who said that there is no such thing as bad publicity?

That's the thing with Sheehan, she was turned into this uber anti war campaigner, in my opinion, by the conservative talk show circuit, and the people that keep bringing her up, case in point here, Moneyman, are conservatives. We (meaning most dems I think) think that she's a disgruntled mom who is upset about losing her son in a war that she feels is unjust and wrong, and you guys (conservatives) use her as a punch line most days. Where is the campassionate conservativism now? The woman loses her son, she protests the war that took her son, and the right wing makes her out to be a lunatic and a crazy woman. That's good stuff right there. Only if she had stepped in line, and supported George W in his bid for taking over the middle east, she would have been honored, instead, there she is, a punch line for conservatives.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    [QUOTE=magnolialover]

and you guys (conservatives) use her as a punch line most days.

and the right wing makes her out to be a lunatic and a crazy woman.

cindy is responsible for cindy. the fact she's a joke and anti-american IS the story. duh.

Master of flip comments

Sh!t like this.

You know, it's sh!t like this that has turned me from a conservative into a left leaning moderate. I remember 20+ years ago in college being a Reagan supporter and taking crap from my fellow students. I am so sick of the "libby" name calling. I too used to think the term "liberal" was a dirty word. Liberals were whiners and pu$$ies. When my sister made it clear she was going into social work my father said she would be "handing out welfare checks to (n-words)". Now its clear that for most supporters of this administration ANY thoughts that stray from the most rigid adherence to the neo-con agenda are "un-American". Any review of facts or rational discussion is not allowed. You guys are all in lock-step and woe unto any who questions King Dick and Prince George. Compassionate, indeed.

Yes, Cindy Sheehan does seem to be a bit over the top. But she lost a son for god's sake. Have any kids? No, she's just a dumba$$ spewing [email protected]

Jun 2004

Back up son...

even you, a never-was conservative see that she's a goof ball. lost a son, yes. for a noble cause? she says not. but i refer you back the the "over the top part."
    Back up son. There is now a majority of people in this nation that don't believe the war was for a noble cause. Don't think that we should be there. Sheehan, is now in the majority of people in this country. She's not the only one that doesn't think Iraq was a noble cause. Why is she over the top? Because she's demanding accountability for the actions of our President? WOW! She's definitely a wacko there. Blank checks for Presidents are never written. Sorry. That man is accountable to every single person in the US. We elected him, he works for us. He doesn't get to do whatever it is he wants to do. Sheehan is a voice of dissent against an unjust war (my opinion), she's not in the minority any longer.

Jun 2004

Well...

[QUOTE=bill105]

and you guys (conservatives) use her as a punch line most days.

and the right wing makes her out to be a lunatic and a crazy woman.

cindy is responsible for cindy. the fact she's a joke and anti-american IS the story. duh.
    Say you lost a loved one in a war. How would you react? Different people react in different ways to different situations. So she reacted in a "protest the war" kind of way. How is that anti-American again? Last time I knew, we were allowed to think what we wanted to. Why is she a joke? Tell me again? Because her son died? That's f-ing pathetic coming from you. Or coming from anyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by gregario
    You know, it's sh!t like this that has turned me from a conservative into a left leaning moderate. I remember 20+ years ago in college being a Reagan supporter and taking crap from my fellow students. I am so sick of the "libby" name calling. I too used to think the term "liberal" was a dirty word. Liberals were whiners and pu$$ies. When my sister made it clear she was going into social work my father said she would be "handing out welfare checks to (n-words)". Now its clear that for most supporters of this administration ANY thoughts that stray from the most rigid adherence to the neo-con agenda are "un-American". Any review of facts or rational discussion is not allowed. You guys are all in lock-step and woe unto any who questions King Dick and Prince George. Compassionate, indeed.

Yes, Cindy Sheehan does seem to be a bit over the top. But she lost a son for god's sake. Have any kids? No, she's just a dumba$$ spewing [email protected]
    even you, a never-was conservative see that she's a goof ball. lost a son, yes. for a noble cause? she says not. but i refer you back the the "over the top part."

Master of flip comments

I think Bill said it best.

Back up son. There is now a majority of people in this nation that don't believe the war was for a noble cause. Don't think that we should be there. Sheehan, is now in the majority of people in this country. She's not the only one that doesn't think Iraq was a noble cause. Why is she over the top? Because she's demanding accountability for the actions of our President? WOW! She's definitely a wacko there. Blank checks for Presidents are never written. Sorry. That man is accountable to every single person in the US. We elected him, he works for us. He doesn't get to do whatever it is he wants to do. Sheehan is a voice of dissent against an unjust war (my opinion), she's not in the minority any longer.
    "She's just a [email protected] spewing [email protected]"

I think we all should ponder that statement for a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    maybe the majority of the people polled. that doesnt mean much. and unless you have a poll that uses "noble" and defines it, it means even less. lots of people have lots of definitions of "noble".

Back from the dead
    This is democracy in action, but I guess you don't have to like it. Get over it. The only place Sheehan would get any measurable votes in California is San Francisco, and that's Diane Feinstein's town, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Jun 2004

Since polling...

maybe the majority of the people polled. that doesnt mean much. and unless you have a poll that uses "noble" and defines it, it means even less. lots of people have lots of definitions of "noble".
    Since polling is done on a scientifically statistical basis, it holds water, and holds the view for the majority of Americans that yes, now indeed, this war is an unpopular foray. Sure it was at first, but then again, people have know figured out that the Bush administration is full o' beans.

Face it, the majority of Americans don't like what is happening in Iraq, and don't believe we should be there. The numbers don't lie.

Quiet, daddy's drinking

Who gave her the national stage?

Quote Originally Posted by gregario
    "She's just a [email protected] spewing [email protected]"

I think we all should ponder that statement for a while.

What's funny here is that she was just one mother, sitting alone, asking to talk to the President. That was until the right wing talk show circuit got a hold of her and kept screeching about this "dumbass spewing crap" and that is what has kept her in the public eye and has kept her message alive. Talk about whining pansies, the right wing gets their undies in a bunch over one grieving mother and then blame her for all the press that they themselves generate.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member

Nothing to get over

Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    This is democracy in action, but I guess you don't have to like it. Get over it. The only place Sheehan would get any measurable votes in California is San Francisco, and that's Diane Feinstein's town, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    She has every right to run. She meets all the Constitutional qualifications. Let her raise the money and enter the fray. More power to her. I will send a check to her for the campaign. I think its great.

Lets separate the pieces here. Piece one: Cindy Sheehan lost her son in a war. She has every right to say what she wants, when she wants. She can run for the Senate or the President. I would never deny her those rights. Piece two: Much of what she says is absolutely amazing in its content and has nothing to do with the fact that her son was killed in action. I heard an interview with her just last night, which is what prompted me to make my original post. She has opinions on everything, which is fine. I have opinions as well. (And you know what they say about opinions and a$$holes.) But her new found fame as a grieving mother and war protester gives her opinions more air than mine, and I say that's great. Let her speak out about Sam Alito, and Iran, and health care, and Social Security, and economic policy, and on and on and on, and we will see what Cindy Sheehan is really made of. The whole world will see that she is definitely NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I wonder how much George Soros will contribute to the campaign. And I'll bet her pal Hugo sends some bolivars as well.

Oscar Romero

Back from the dead
    Personally, I'm tired of hearing about her. But I don't get why you posted this in the first place. If it's to make fun of The Left, remember the thing about glass houses and stones. There are a lot of dull knives in that drawer, and a lot of them come from The Right. Pat Robertson, anyone?

RoadBikeReview Member

Not the left

Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Personally, I'm tired of hearing about her. But I don't get why you posted this in the first place. If it's to make fun of The Left, remember the thing about glass houses and stones. There are a lot of dull knives in that drawer, and a lot of them come from The Right. Pat Robertson, anyone?
    But Cindy Sheehan. The post is only about her. Don't read more into the post than is there. Her ridiculous statements, her endorsement from a communist dictator do more to make fun of her than I ever could.

BTW - If you're tired of hearing about her, well, you know the drill.....

Oscar Romero

Quiet, daddy's drinking

If the President would have just had the balls to meet with her.

But Cindy Sheehan. The post is only about her. Don't read more into the post than is there. Her ridiculous statements, her endorsement from a communist dictator do more to make fun of her than I ever could.

BTW - If you're tired of hearing about her, well, you know the drill.....

None of this would have happened if the President had met with her. Also she would not have gotten any press if the right had just said that "everyone is entitled to an opinion" and left it at that. The problem is that they kept calling her stupid, crazy, un-american or a traitor. The moderates and those on the left got pissed at this response to a grieving mother and have thrown in their support for her. The right has no one to blame but themselves for Cindy still being in the public eye.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

Jun 2004

But...

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder
    None of this would have happened if the President had met with her. Also she would not have gotten any press if the right had just said that "everyone is entitled to an opinion" and left it at that. The problem is that they kept calling her stupid, crazy, un-american or a traitor. The moderates and those on the left got pissed at this response to a grieving mother and have thrown in their support for her. The right has no one to blame but themselves for Cindy still being in the public eye.
    But W was on vacation, clearing brush, making trips to other states that supported him. He didn't have time to meet with her. Aside from that, he knew that she didn't side with him on this matter, and how would he deal with actually having to deal with someone who didn't agree with him on something?? I think he would probably shake apart.
    Last edited by magnolialover; 01-30-2006 at 09:25 AM. Reason: something else...

I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder

Politically speaking, I think meeting her would just fan the flames and encourage others to try the same. It's hard to justify meeting one bereaved mother one on one and then say no to all the others. The other aspect to all this is that she did meet with the president Bush, but she had to do it in the presence of other families of war dead. I guess that didn't count.

I suspect that I agree with her in many ways regarding the Iraqi invasion but the waiving of the bloody shirt, the media propaganda and her insistance on a privileged status to mourn, grieve and feel righteous kind of makes my tummy ache. She's definitely not the thinking persons' candidate. Feeling person yes.
    Last edited by Sintesi; 01-30-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I'm a little suprised it's the Senate she's thinking about. I think a run for Congress might be more appropriate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast