Mainstream news didn't have gun news today, so DUI of 5 dead kids
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Mainstream news didn't have gun news today, so DUI of 5 dead kids

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...419/Five.Dead/

I swear, if the amount of money spent lobbying over guns was spent on lobbying over this kind of stuff, the penalties and enforcement would be a lot stricter. DUI's are my pet peeve, but so many people have done it during their lifetime that they cannot imagine what could have happened to them had the penalties and enforcement of those penalties been really strict. Then again, maybe they wouldn't have done it if those penalties were in place.

FYI - the last gun/knife news was from a town called Middletown which is located in Maryland. I drive through that town on my way to hunt since it isn't very far from a farm I hunt. I also have 2 clients that live in the town. Sometimes, I wish I didn't get the news over the internet. I never watched the news on TV because most of it was depressing.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Drunk, driving in a bad storm and talking on his cellphone.

supervillain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Story was that the guy in Maryland killed his family with a knife and then himself with a gun.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit
    Story was that the guy in Maryland killed his family with a knife and then himself with a gun.

It was still the gun's fault, Snake. Duh.

supervillain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    It was still the gun's fault, Snake. Duh.
    Wouldn't Spydie have been howling if it was? I watched for him most of the day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit
    What I had read is that the kids and wife were all killed in their bed and that they had knife wounds and bullet wounds to them. The knife wounds were considered to have been extremely traumatic and possibly lethal, but the bullet wounds were to their heads. Of course, I read it as soon as it came out, so it probably changed as they were able to obtain more facts.

Since they were all killed in their beds, I would have to guess that he killed them with a knife while they were sleeping and then shot them later on. Otherwise, after the first gun shot the wife or the kids would have been up and out of bed.

What really makes me sad about all of this, and sometimes furious, is that innocent kids are paying the price for their parents, for lack of a better term, stupidity. I believe one of the kids was 2 years old. What did that kid ever deserve to be stabbed to death and then shot in the head? Reading this stuff really gets my blood boiling, especially since my daughter is 2 and I cannot imagine anything like this happening to her. I cannot imagine not being able to see her smile tomorrow, or to hear her laugh, talk, mumble, or cry.

The DUI issue really gets me fired up because my dad drove us all home from several parties after he had drank a ton, but at least this was 20+ years ago when it wasn't as big a deal. Those 5 kids drowned to death because the driver was a moron. I was going to say because their father was a moron, but he wasn't the father of all of the kids. Could you imagine being the parents of the other kids in the car, or the wife/mother of the driver/kids in the car?

God save the children from adults.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman
    What I had read is that the kids and wife were all killed in their bed and that they had knife wounds and bullet wounds to them. The knife wounds were considered to have been extremely traumatic and possibly lethal, but the bullet wounds were to their heads. Of course, I read it as soon as it came out, so it probably changed as they were able to obtain more facts.

Since they were all killed in their beds, I would have to guess that he killed them with a knife while they were sleeping and then shot them later on. Otherwise, after the first gun shot the wife or the kids would have been up and out of bed.

What really makes me sad about all of this, and sometimes furious, is that innocent kids are paying the price for their parents, for lack of a better term, stupidity. I believe one of the kids was 2 years old. What did that kid ever deserve to be stabbed to death and then shot in the head? Reading this stuff really gets my blood boiling, especially since my daughter is 2 and I cannot imagine anything like this happening to her. I cannot imagine not being able to see her smile tomorrow, or to hear her laugh, talk, mumble, or cry.

The DUI issue really gets me fired up because my dad drove us all home from several parties after he had drank a ton, but at least this was 20+ years ago when it wasn't as big a deal. Those 5 kids drowned to death because the driver was a moron. I was going to say because their father was a moron, but he wasn't the father of all of the kids. Could you imagine being the parents of the other kids in the car, or the wife/mother of the driver/kids in the car?

God save the children from adults.
    I can't stand DUIs. For me, first offense, loss of vehicle, license and years in jail. Then ramp up the penalties furthermore upon subsequent infractions.
    Dictated but not read.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter
    I can't stand DUIs. For me, first offense, loss of vehicle, license and years in jail. Then ramp up the penalties furthermore upon subsequent infractions.
    You and me both. I used to take those types of cases, but after getting offenders suspended sentences on their 2nd and 3rd convictions with probation, it made me sick. Hence, I don't take them any more. I am at the point in life where I can turn away the cases that will make my stomach turn and have me awake at night if I get the client what the client is seeking.

Bikes:

Jan 2009

Psychologists think we'll see many more like this.

Had a therapist on the show talking about incidents like this the other day. She says as long as the economy keeps going downhill, there are going to be more of them. Normally they're crimes of passion, she said, but the most recent ones are crimes born of desperation, and the pace probably will accelerate if times stay tough.
    Having said that, because the news is depressing is no reason to blame the people who report it. What should they do, cover it up?.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryF
    Had a therapist on the show talking about incidents like this the other day. She says as long as the economy keeps going downhill, there are going to be more of them. Normally they're crimes of passion, she said, but the most recent ones are crimes born of desperation, and the pace probably will accelerate if times stay tough.
    Having said that, because the news is depressing is no reason to blame the people who report it. What should they do, cover it up?.
    Where did I blame the people that report it? Show me that one. I don't blame them, it is their job. I just prefer not to see it. Of course, whenever I click on Yahoo, there it is. Whenever I click on Comcast or AOL to go to my e-mail, there it is.

Why blame the gun manufactures, cigarette manufacturers, or alcohol manufacturers, they just manufacture the stuff? Ultimately, I blame the end user. Regarding the news, I should have the resolve to just skip over those headlines, but curiosity killed the cat. As soon as I catch a glimpse of it, I just have to read it.

Bikes:

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryF
    One therapist doesn't mean psychologists are predicting more of these. It would be interesting to see data at rough times like this to see if there is an increase or if it's just reported more.
    Dictated but not read.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter
    +100 trillion

I don't understand why our penalties are so light for DUIs. I'm sure it has to do with money (alcohol lobby worried people would be too scared to drink?), but it's crazy. If first offense was mandatory 5 years, seizure of car, and permanent loss of license, people might think twice.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    +100 trillion

I don't understand why our penalties are so light for DUIs. I'm sure it has to do with money (alcohol lobby worried people would be too scared to drink?), but it's crazy. If first offense was mandatory 5 years, seizure of car, and permanent loss of license, people might think twice.
    Not so sure. Penalties are pretty harsh now thanks to the lobby of groups like MADD. Many of the people involved in these types of accidents have "multiple" DUIs under their belts and the BAC they have when in an accident is usually double the limit or more. A stricter law would not help as many of them drive with no license already.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Not so sure. Penalties are pretty harsh now thanks to the lobby of groups like MADD. Many of the people involved in these types of accidents have "multiple" DUIs under their belts and the BAC they have when in an accident is usually double the limit or more. A stricter law would not help as many of them drive with no license already.

There are parallels here with the gun control debate. Why not install systems that make it impossible for someone to drive if there's any alcohol in their system? Sure, someone determined enough can defeat them but they can be effective enough to reduce the number of drunk drivers. Think of it as akin to trigger locks and what not.

I'm not advocating this but I bet there are many who would like to see strict gun controls/bans that would find my suggestion offensive.

supervillain

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    There are parallels here with the gun control debate. Why not install systems that make it impossible for someone to drive if there's any alcohol in their system? Sure, someone determined enough can defeat them but they can be effective enough to reduce the number of drunk drivers. Think of it as akin to trigger locks and what not.

I'm not advocating this but I bet there are many who would like to see strict gun controls/bans that would find my suggestion offensive.
    This reminds me of last year when a friend of mine and I decided to rent some ATVs on our day off in Crested Butte. The owner of the ATV rental place picked us up in town and drove us to the trailhead. Every 2-3 minutes he had to blow into a tube to prove he wasn't drunk. Evidently he'd had 3 prior DUIs and the only way he got to drive was with this device in place. He said he'd driven across the country having to blow into the thing every few minutes.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    This reminds me of last year when a friend of mine and I decided to rent some ATVs on our day off in Crested Butte. The owner of the ATV rental place picked us up in town and drove us to the trailhead. Every 2-3 minutes he had to blow into a tube to prove he wasn't drunk. Evidently he'd had 3 prior DUIs and the only way he got to drive was with this device in place. He said he'd driven across the country having to blow into the thing every few minutes.
    It is called an ignition interlock device. I've got to leave right now, but I'll post more about penalties, their lack of enforcement, and driving without a license later tonight. I have a couple of cases that are just ridiculous.

Bikes:

Ricardo Cabeza
    My first instinct is to say that whatever they do to this guy, he's gotten off easy.

But, being a parent, if my stupidity resulted in the deaths of my kids, there would be no punishment greater than being reminded of that fact on a daily basis until the day I die.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage