Media Bias and Test Your Own Bias
    banned
    Apr 2012

Media Bias and Test Your Own Bias

I just thought you'd all have fun with this one so I dedicated a new thread to it. The graphics at the end of the video cracked me up, do try and watch the whole thing or skip ahead to the 4:54 mark.

Here are the results of how biased all our favorite news outlets are (both left and right): Is Media Slanted? | Tim Groseclose

Test your own bias here: Get your PQ | Tim Groseclose

The results of some famous people you know: Famous PQs | Tim Groseclose

And you can even take a test to see if you are, in fact, a liberal: Prager University (click on the link near the bottom of the screen titled "Are you a liberal?"

Oh, and FYI, Dr. Tim Groseclose is the Marvin Hoffenberg Professor of American Politics at UCLA. So he's credible.
    Last edited by CarbonFlyer; 08-18-2012 at 01:52 PM.

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonFlyer View Post
    Here are the results of how biased all our favorite news outlets are (both left and right): Is Media Slanted? | Tim Groseclose
    The first test says the Wall Street Journal has the strongest liberal bias of any media outlet in the US.

Second test says that "death tax" and "estate tax" are equally politically loaded terms, even though "estate tax" has been the language of the tax code since 1916.

The third test finds that both the Wall Street Journal and Fox News have a pronounced liberal bias.

Gee, I wonder whether any of this should set off anyone's bullsh*t detector?
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

banned
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke View Post
    The first test says the Wall Street Journal has the strongest liberal bias of any media outlet in the US.

Second test says that "death tax" and "estate tax" are equally politically loaded terms, even though "estate tax" has been the language of the tax code since 1916.

The third test finds that both the Wall Street Journal and Fox News have a pronounced liberal bias.

Gee, I wonder whether any of this should set off anyone's bullsh*t detector?
    I know, it's why I posted it. It's hilarious. However, he does claim his findings were posted in the Quarterly Journal of Economics, a peer reviewed publication. Here's the article: http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/f.../MediaBias.pdf

Take the tests in the links though, it's a hoot.
    My result on the liberal test was: You may not be a Conservative yet, but youíre not a liberal. My PQ was 48.
    Last edited by CarbonFlyer; 08-18-2012 at 03:11 PM.

banned
    I started the test then saw the flaw, not in the test, but how we conduct business. Bills are so laden with conflicting issues that it's no wonder things get stalled in Congress or the debate can't really be defined. There are things in many of the bills used in the test that I would certainly support, mostly what would be termed, liberal, yet there were some clunkers in there as well that I would not support on their own. This is really the reason for the BS that happens in Washington. I'd be all for having these employees of the people have to vote up or down on each and every item and then have the bill reconciled based on the vote. May take more time, but we pay them to be there to vote. The way they do it now is really BS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam View Post
    I started the test then saw the flaw, not in the test, but how we conduct business. Bills are so laden with conflicting issues that it's no wonder things get stalled in Congress or the debate can't really be defined. There are things in many of the bills used in the test that I would certainly support, mostly what would be termed, liberal, yet there were some clunkers in there as well that I would not support on their own. This is really the reason for the BS that happens in Washington. I'd be all for having these employees of the people have to vote up or down on each and every item and then have the bill reconciled based on the vote. May take more time, but we pay them to be there to vote. The way they do it now is really BS.
    That was my experience too. I finished the test and got 26.5 but I think I am much closer to the middle than that. You couldn't say yes to bills you would have supported without taking unacceptable along with them. All bills should stand alone.

banned
    Apr 2012
    the other weird thing about the test is that in all the questions they gave you the results of how the dems and repubs voted. Not sure what the point of that was. In fact, I thought it was dumb because it could taint your choice and skew the test.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    That was my experience too. I finished the test and got 26.5 but I think I am much closer to the middle than that. You couldn't say yes to bills you would have supported without taking unacceptable along with them. All bills should stand alone.
    All issues should stand alone. Many are not even related to the thrust of the bill, yet have very specific consequences. I didn't even finish the test. Seemed like a waste of time.

banned
    the other weird thing about the test is that in all the questions they gave you the results of how the dems and repubs voted. Not sure what the point of that was. In fact, I thought it was dumb because it could taint your choice and skew the test.
    I agree. They should have posited the questions as if you were asked to vote, not knowing the results.

jaded bitter joy crusher
    However, he does claim his findings were posted in the Quarterly Journal of Economics, a peer reviewed publication.
    I also just noticed that thetitle of his web page is "Is Our Media Biased?"

Is he consciously trying to echo Bush's "Is Our Children Learning," or does he think that agreement between subjects and verbs is a sign of libbie bias?

Covfefe
    I agree.

I thought the same and I even wrote a reply saying same but then I deleted it before posting it when I decided that I wanted to first see if anyone else would state the same observation.

I guess I didn't want bias anyone else's opinion.

"Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Tim Groseclose, LOL!

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

Tim Groseclose, LOL!
    How Biased Is Your Media?: A New Freakonomics Radio Podcast

This one left me wondering what the hell Stephen Dubner was thinking but perhaps I'm just one of those biased liberal public radio listeners.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Scary Teddy Bear

Ummm

I know, it's why I posted it. It's hilarious. However, he does claim his findings were posted in the Quarterly Journal of Economics, a peer reviewed publication. Here's the article: http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/f.../MediaBias.pdf

Take the tests in the links though, it's a hoot.
    My result on the liberal test was: You may not be a Conservative yet, but youíre not a liberal. My PQ was 48.
    Evading a permaban is a bad, bad idea.

Goodbye.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst View Post

Goodbye.
    Why did that earn a ban? Am I missing something or was the post changed?

Covfefe
    "Evading a permaban"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like he may be someone we know, a voice from the past.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    It sure was entertaining while it lasted. It was only a matter of time.

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst View Post
    Party Pooper. Now it won't be as much fun when Romney/Ryan doesn't win by a landslide.

banned
    Oh

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I scored 53.6.

xxl

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post

As Prager University is not an accredited university that grants degrees, some claim that the name is misleading.[5] The university has been criticized for emphasizing conservative views in its videos, but many are on non-political topics, like happiness and morality.

Known for its series of educational five minute videos, Prager University courses mainly include: ...

New courses featuring Adam Carolla and Tim Groseclose are currently in production.

LOL... Why do I smell the scent of Breitbart on this trail?

Oh, look here:

Prager U: Powerful Statistical Proof of Media Bias - breitbart.com

Prager University: Walter Williams On 'The Power Of Profit - breitbart.com

Prager University: The Happiness Equation - breitbart.com

Prager University: The Welfare State And The Selfish Society - breitbart.com

Bonus! Bonus! Bonus! Bonus!

haole from the mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by etane View Post
    I scored 53.6.
    I couldn't make it to the end. The test itself was inane and biased.

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy View Post
    I couldn't even START the test because it was so inane and biased.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy View Post
    I had time to kill before I clocked out.

Just have to weed through the BS to get a "centered" score.