Mid Terms and the Tea Party....
    Scary Teddy Bear

Mid Terms and the Tea Party....

Could benefit the democrats....sorta like the green party movement benefitted the republicans in the past.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...id=ClIlZU1T77G

According to the poll, Americans say they'll vote for a Republican over a Democrat in the November elections by a 44 to 39 percent margin.
    But the addition of a Tea Party candidate to the ballot changes the dynamic: The Republican candidate drops dramatically to 25 percent and the Democrat only slightly to 36 percent, while 15 percent would back the Tea Party candidate.

More recent polling suggests that democrats have gained ground as well...

This poll, just completed suggests 50% of registered voters will vote democrat, 46% republican. with 4% claiming neither.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im...4/13/rel7d.pdf

Interesting data....
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    CNN = unbiased left as to Foxnews = unbiased right
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Self-Banned
    We'll see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn

It's time for CNN to stop "breaking it down" and start "putting it together."

There aren't two sides to every story--not worth listening to, anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

Clinton's doing great!

Quote Originally Posted by physasst

Interesting data....

Clinton's doing great!

Sticky Valentine

that's why they hired Erickson.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
    CNN Hires Erick Erickson
    www.thedailyshow.com
    Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Number 2 on the course.
    Nah. CNN = Fox = garbage.

(JoeDaddio has the video)

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Nah. CNN = Fox = garbage.
    Yup I agree with you.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Nah.

CNN = corporate/lame 'journalism lite'

Faux = unabashed GOP propaganda

/ if we're defining exactly why they're garbage
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst
    Could benefit the democrats....sorta like the green party movement benefitted the republicans in the past.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...id=ClIlZU1T77G

According to the poll, Americans say they'll vote for a Republican over a Democrat in the November elections by a 44 to 39 percent margin.
    But the addition of a Tea Party candidate to the ballot changes the dynamic: The Republican candidate drops dramatically to 25 percent and the Democrat only slightly to 36 percent, while 15 percent would back the Tea Party candidate.

More recent polling suggests that democrats have gained ground as well...

This poll, just completed suggests 50% of registered voters will vote democrat, 46% republican. with 4% claiming neither.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im...4/13/rel7d.pdf

Interesting data....
    It's interesting and possibly relevant if we assume that a great many Teabagger candidates are going to appear in general elections as third-party candidates.

However, I'd assume that even 'baggers are capable of reading poll data, and would be unlikely, in many cases, to run and then hand victories to Democrats. Not to say there aren't a few very stubborn 'bagger candidates out there who'll run no matter what.

I'd think though, that in the majority of cases, the Teabaggers would exert their political influence via the GOP primaries, by making sure the most extreme GOP candidate won and went to the general. And of course by turning out for the general, but as the 'baggers numbers are actually not that large, their influence would be less there.

So, this could be a good thing for the Dems in that the extremist GOP candidates would presumably have less appeal with independents and may even alienate some moderate Repubs, who might cross over and vote Dem, assuming the Dem candidates fielded were appropriate. If I was selecting Dem candidates, I'd definitely do so with an eye towards Indy and moderate Repub-appeal.

It's going to be an interesting chess match. The fun part is indeed going to be the GOP primaries, where even moderate GOP candidates are going to fall all over themselves trying to gain 'teabagger cred'. Some have done so already, in fact, with varying degrees of embarrassing 'bagger-pandering.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock
    'bagger-pandering.
    Bit of a mouthful. Heh.

Panderbagger

BINO

waterproof*
    Nice theory but not realistic. For starters, filing dates for the primaries have already passed in a lot of districts. So, are they going to mount a write-in campaign?

Most of the 'baggers I know are more likely to hold their nose and vote R.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\ this.

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    Most 'baggers in general are Republican dead-enders running in circles trying to get away from the fact that their politics have failed them

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock
    However, I'd assume that even 'baggers are capable of reading poll data, and would be unlikely, in many cases, to run and then hand victories to Democrats. Not to say there aren't a few very stubborn 'bagger candidates out there who'll run no matter what.
    In at least a few important races, Tea Party candidates are saying that they'd rather a Democrat wins than a moderate Republican because although that would be a temporary setback, it would advance the conservative cause in the long run.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012302951.html
    By all rights, Tom Perriello should have almost no chance to win reelection to Congress. He's a stimulus-backing, health-care-reform-loving, cap-and-trade-supporting liberal Democrat who represents a conservative central Virginia district where antipathy to the president and all things Washington runs high.

Perhaps too high. Perriello's opponents are so divided about who is the best conservative to replace him that they are transforming what should be a gimme for Republicans into a national emblem of GOP strife, potentially setting up a replay of the special election in Upstate New York in November that handed the Democrats a seat in a region they hadn't represented in more than 100 years.
    Republican leaders ... are backing a moderate state lawmaker, Sen. Robert Hurt, whose record enrages many conservatives, including a disparate band of Tea Party activists. To them, Hurt is not a real conservative ... and they're promising a third-party challenge if he wins the nomination.

"We want a conservative, not a situational Republican ... I really believe the 5th District congressional election is about the soul of American politics."
    "If Robert Hurt wins, then we have an ideologically inconsistent congressman for a couple of decades," said Bradley S. Rees, a conservative blogger and talk-radio host in Bedford. "I would rather we had an ideologically consistent Democrat who we can hammer on their records. We'll get Perriello in 2012 -- with a stronger, more consistent candidate."
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Most 'baggers in general are Republican dead-enders running in circles trying to get away from the fact that their politics have failed them
    ^ this.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    In at least a few important races, Tea Party candidates are saying that they'd rather a Democrat wins than a moderate Republican because although that would be a temporary setback, it would advance the conservative cause in the long run.

..."If Robert Hurt wins, then we have an ideologically inconsistent congressman for a couple of decades," said Bradley S. Rees, a conservative blogger and talk-radio host in Bedford. "I would rather we had an ideologically consistent Democrat who we can hammer on their records. We'll get Perriello in 2012 -- with a stronger, more consistent candidate."
    While the 'bagger bloggers might be exhorting 'bagger candidates to run in the general and bork moderate GOPers, well, that's the 'bagger bloggers talking.

But is the rank-and-file, who I think of as Republicans-in-exile in many cases, fully behind that strategy... especially if it means more Dems getting in?

I think a lot of different things are going to happen depending on the district/local situation, but overall, I think the Teabaggers will do most of their borking of moderate Repub candidates in the primaries, not the general.

Not that I wouldn't want to see the latter happen. For me, the more extremist the Repubs get, the better. That drives away moderates and independents, and pretty much turns the GOP into a regional party, not a national one.