New Climate Change Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

I can't believe the other thread is now 7 pages.

The anti-climate science position is funded by the fossil fuel industry (Koch Bros. for one).

Their pour money into GOP 'stop thinking tanks' which crank out reams of reports with little or no scientific backing.

Idiots like Lamar Smith, who happens to chair the House Science Committee, that's right this idiot chairs the House Science Committee for the GOP.

Smith said this about the recent report published by the NY Times:

“In numerous instances, the report fails to examine some of the most current data,” Smith wrote. “For example, the impact of El Nino on the climate is completely downplayed and misconstrued to conflict with historical reports. Moreover, this alarmist reporting attempts to falsely link extreme weather events to climate change, when the data has never suggested this. Making temperature predictions far into the future has proven to be nothing more than speculation, and goes against the principles of scientific integrity.”

For the average dumbass Trump supporter, this is likely all they need to believe nothing needs be done. However, a more informed view comes from an actual climate scientist.

“These comments reflect the utterances of someone who either doesn’t have the faintest understanding of the science, or has total contempt for scientific truth,” wrote Michael Mann, climatologist, geophysicist and director of Penn State’s Earth System Science Center.
    “To conflate El Nino (which is a climate fluctuation that occurs on timescales of a few years) with climate change (which describes trends over decades) is the last refuge of the climate change confusionist,” he added. “And given that model forecasts made decades ago successfully predicted the human-caused warming that has occurred since, the only thing that is ‘nothing more than speculation’ and in defiance of ‘the principles of scientific integrity’ is Lamar Smith’s fossil-fueled attack on the scientific discipline.”

Also, let's keep in mind the recent report on climate change was signed off by 13 federal agencies.

Two things that should be illegal in our elected officials is bribery and stupidity. Clearly, neither one is.

Now please and this point I'm begging, don't encourage or allow the climate denier trolls to air their fact free nonsense for another 7 pages.

What the what???

I’ve never understood how deniers can simultaneously cry for evidence and when presented with it; refute that evidence.

It’s like going to the doctor with a sore leg... having the doctor show you the X-ray of the broken bone... but deciding instead that there really is no such thing as bones and if there is, it’s probably a conspiracy among doctors to sell X-rays.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

It's a Sledgehammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I’ve never understood how deniers can simultaneously cry for evidence and when presented with it; refute that evidence.

It’s like going to the doctor with a sore leg... having the doctor show you the X-ray of the broken bone... but deciding instead that there really is no such thing as bones and if there is, it’s probably a conspiracy among doctors to sell X-rays.
    Not to go off topic, but it seems to me this is a conservative pattern. If the facts conflict with your beliefs then they cannot be true and fit the "fake news" category.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post

Idiots like Lamar Smith, who happens to chair the House Science Committee, that's right this idiot chairs the House Science Committee for the GOP.

Smith said this about the recent report published by the NY Times:

“In numerous instances, the report fails to examine some of the most current data,” Smith wrote. “For example, the impact of El Nino on the climate is completely downplayed and misconstrued to conflict with historical reports. Moreover, this alarmist reporting attempts to falsely link extreme weather events to climate change, when the data has never suggested this. Making temperature predictions far into the future has proven to be nothing more than speculation, and goes against the principles of scientific integrity.”

For the average dumbass Trump supporter, this is likely all they need to believe nothing needs be done. However, a more informed view comes from an actual climate scientist.
    What an idiot. The report actually does talk about El Nino and it's effect. A lot.

Like many who spout nonsense here Smith did not read the report but relied on paid liar talking points.

Opus was just napping
    OH THANK GOD!!! Just what we needed another Climate Change thread! YIPPPEEEE!!!
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

feh
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 7eap4a View Post
    Not to go off topic, but it seems to me this is a conservative pattern. If the facts conflict with your beliefs then they cannot be true and fit the "fake news" category.
    Cognitive dissonance. It is rampant in the US.
    What's the Matter with Kansas?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by feh View Post
    Cognitive dissonance. It is rampant in the US.
    ... because conservative media has spent the past 40 years creating the rhetoric that anything outside of their bubble is "liberal bias," or to use the newest buzzword, "fake news."
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Indeed, deniers will throw the whole pot of spaghetti at the wall, and when nothing sticks, they'll scoop it off the floor and spackle it on.

But I've been wondering (and haven't interrupted other threads to ask) why AGW is so threatening to them that they go to all lengths to refute it. Even IF climate change is all a liberal conspiracy, what's the harm in greening up? Are they scared the gummint will seize their coal-rollin' diesels and force them into Priuses?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Teuthis View Post
    Indeed, deniers will throw the whole pot of spaghetti at the wall, and when nothing sticks, they'll scoop it off the floor and spackle it on.

But I've been wondering (and haven't interrupted other threads to ask) why AGW is so threatening to them that they go to all lengths to refute it. Even IF climate change is all a liberal conspiracy, what's the harm in greening up? Are they scared the gummint will seize their coal-rollin' diesels and force them into Priuses?
    What we are seeing here is the end result of a decades long, multi million dollar, campaign to spread doubt. The same paid liars who worked for Big Tobacco now work for big carbon. Some people fell for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    But, but, they all read the 600+ page report and refuted it line by line... the dog ate their homework.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    What we are seeing here is the end result of a decades long, multi million dollar, campaign to spread doubt. The same paid liars who worked for Big Tobacco now work for big carbon. Some people fell for it.

For sure, Big Oil stands to lose alotta profit, so I can understand their motivations. I'm wondering what Joe and Jane Denier are thinking. Surely not "Oh no! Big Oil will lose billions!" What skin do Joe and Jane personally have in the game? "Dammit! It's my RIGHT to use incandescent light bulbs, and I'll defend that right to my death"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    OH THANK GOD!!! Just what we needed another Climate Change thread! YIPPPEEEE!!!
    Why did you post?

feh
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Teuthis View Post
    They are merely regurgitating what they've been told by the talking heads in their bubble. They've been turned into pawns by the people/corporations that are protecting their profits.

They are too dumb/ignorant to realize it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are merely regurgitating what they've been told by the talking heads in their bubble. They've been turned into pawns by the people/corporations that are protecting their profits.

They are too dumb/ignorant to realize it.
    Geeze. Some kinda "electric vehicles will usher in the AI overlords" paranoia would be entertaining, at least. But rote parroting does seem to be the case.

Opus was just napping
    Why did you post?
    I could ask the same question of you.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    I could ask the same question of you.
    I posted because I had content to share.

Your post seemed lacking in content.

Opus was just napping
    I posted because I had content to share.

Your post seemed lacking in content.
    Being redundant isn't content

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is a new paradigm for climate change if anybody is interested:

This is a utube video of the presentation at the London Climate Change Conf in 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L82YMAuhjvw

While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Not hard to do when things like temperature data are so obviously faked.

Or researchers conspire with each other to "hide the decline" and block access to publishing media to scientists they disagree with.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post

Or researchers conspire with each other to "hide the decline" and block access to publishing media to scientists they disagree with.
    Yet the deniers will list research from known groups that make up lies. Use research from the same groups that made up bs during the tobacco law suits and got shown to be lies. Same one paid by the big oil to make up fraud and confuse the masses idiots of deniers.

Then those same deniers use that to claim all other sources that not conform with climate change denial as fake and fraud.

It not hard when one puts their head in the sand and scream fake news.

Climate change deniers are shown to lack the ability to think for themselves and only follow marching orders. I would not be surprised the deniers would believe 2+2=5 if their masters said so.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

xxl

It's also not hard to do when one is biased, or ill-informed, or obsessively fixated on imagining an international scientific conspiracy, or any one of a host of idiosyncratic reasons why people push their pet conspiracy theories like so many saucer cultists.

Of course, if those temperature data-like things had been "obviously faked," proof of such fakery should easy to obtain (and not just error-laden data, or incomplete data, but deliberately and with intent-to-deceive obviously faked data).

Ditto for an international research conspiracy by north of nineteen in twenty of the world's scientists.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are 2.6 million covid cases in the United States (as of June 30), five months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

What the what???

So let’s pull at this tin foil thread and see what unravels...

Why, Andy, do you suppose data has been faked and alternate theories suppressed? What’s the rationale?
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    This is a new paradigm for climate change if anybody is interested:
    Nikolov & Zeller? Oh, they are back to using their real names now?

You do realize that they were exposed as frauds right?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5e155f44ba4e

It appears the news of their fraud has not hit the echo chamber yet

There is a lot of fringe stuff with the denialist, but this nonsense is the fringe of the fringe

feh
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    Nikolov & Zeller? Oh, they are back to using their real names now?

You do realize that they were exposed as frauds right?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5e155f44ba4e

It appears the news has not hit the echo chamber yet
    Yes, a pattern is becoming evident. l4h sees something on an alt-right web site and then comes to PO to regurgitate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, a pattern is becoming evident. l4h sees something on an alt-right web site and then comes to PO to regurgitate.
    might be confusing the number of green chiclets awarded with actual credibility...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast