New leaf, as in turning over.
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    OES
    OES is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    14,484

    New leaf, as in turning over.

    Since I'm now retired, I do not feel the need to argue with bonehead Republicans any more. Frankly, it is a desire to avoid arguing with bonehead Republicans that led to my retirement. Chicken, egg, whatever. I ain't gonna say no nasty things about Bush either. I'm sick to death of even thinking about him. Take your four years and GO.

    SO. As of today, I shall ONLY argue with liberals, and only criticize Dumocrats. Consider me not an enemy but a sparring partner to sharpen you for the big fights to come, which I will be happily NOT participating in.

    Sigh. Ahhhh. Where's my slippers, and my dawg?

  2. #2
    Bored beyond belief.
    Reputation: sn69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,257

    Mo' importantly,

    where's that Waterford you promised yourself as a retirement gift?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Scott Needle

    No one respects the flame quite like the fool who's badly burned

  3. #3
    I don't exist
    Reputation: HAL9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,029

    find your boots Ed

    the're better for kickin' the dog.
    Rocket Sturgeon
    -2B1 Ask 1-
    Fast Stinky Fish
    in KY jelly

  4. #4
    OES
    OES is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    14,484

    Patience, grasshopper ...

    Quote Originally Posted by sn69
    where's that Waterford you promised yourself as a retirement gift?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    I just retired yesterday!

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Henry Chinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,539
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEdScott
    Since I'm now retired, I do not feel the need to argue with bonehead Republicans any more. Frankly, it is a desire to avoid arguing with bonehead Republicans that led to my retirement. Chicken, egg, whatever. I ain't gonna say no nasty things about Bush either. I'm sick to death of even thinking about him. Take your four years and GO.

    SO. As of today, I shall ONLY argue with liberals, and only criticize Dumocrats. Consider me not an enemy but a sparring partner to sharpen you for the big fights to come, which I will be happily NOT participating in.

    Sigh. Ahhhh. Where's my slippers, and my dawg?
    Good. Ok. So how did we **** up in Ohio? Did it all come down to Rove's ability to play the hate card with gay marriage bs there? And why didn't Kerry give up on Florida a few weeks ago and throw everything he had at Ohio? Just 100,000 or so more votes there and he would have won the whole deal.

    I spent the weekend calling people in Ohio. I did this after a friend of a friend had flown out there on her own dime to register voters. She came back with a bunch of people to call to make sure they got out to vote. I had also volunteered with the Dem party, but they only contacted me about doing canvassing in my own town, which is a joke cause of course my state was strongly going Kerry. I don't know. The Dems seemed to think they were surpassing their goals in Ohio, but obviously their goals weren't high enough. We got our ass kicked on the ground war. Obviously, a more appealing candidate would have probably have done the trick, but still, it seems like we lost purely cause their organization was better than our organization. You were right in your prediction. So why do the Dems suck at it so bad and what can they do to improve?

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Posts
    3,567

    ah, come on

    Quote Originally Posted by OldEdScott
    Since I'm now retired, I do not feel the need to argue with bonehead Republicans any more. Frankly, it is a desire to avoid arguing with bonehead Republicans that led to my retirement. Chicken, egg, whatever. I ain't gonna say no nasty things about Bush either. I'm sick to death of even thinking about him. Take your four years and GO.

    SO. As of today, I shall ONLY argue with liberals, and only criticize Dumocrats. Consider me not an enemy but a sparring partner to sharpen you for the big fights to come, which I will be happily NOT participating in.

    Sigh. Ahhhh. Where's my slippers, and my dawg?
    That's no fun. I like your insight and sparing. Sparing with most of the Libbies here is too frustrating for me, as I think it would a serious thinker like you, when most of the arguments are framed in terms of "moron; stupid; fascist; liar" etc. True ideological debate is great, but that's about 1% of what occurs here, amongst way too much noise. It's like trying to have a serious discussion in the middle of a group of 5 year olds well after their bed time and on a Halloween candy buzz.

    You gonna be hanging out with Carville? Seems like he *ought* to retire. Did anyone catch him with a trashcan on his head this time? Or, maybe you can do some huntin with JFK?

    Just teasin. I'm envious of your time to go ride now.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PdxMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,524

    Autumn leaves

    Happy R-day Ed. I have to say that lugged steel is a delight to ride, including a lugged steel fork with its extra pound of weight over its soul-less plati-carbon alternative. And don't forget the appropriate Brooks saddle.

    I'm glad that you'll still be around to straighten out us lefties when we get too self-absorbed, and hopefully to banter with ScottN like only you two can do. That is pure entertainment on the fly...

    I've touted to many of my real-world friends this Kentucky politico on the bike board whose understanding and view of politics has taught me just how little I know and understand about the Process. (OK, here in MultnomahCounty-istan, with our 72% pro-Kerry vote, maybe I don't know the real world.) I send you my best wishes to a content and satisfying retirement, at least until you get drawn back in to the next race that piques your interest. (You'd still qualify for the Waterford, though.) And consider CycleOregon next September to commemorate the bicentennial of Lewis & Clark's amazing trip to the Edge of the America.

  8. #8
    OES
    OES is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    14,484

    Campaigning in Florida was ignorant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    And why didn't Kerry give up on Florida a few weeks ago and throw everything he had at Ohio?
    I raved to anyone who would listen that Florida was a waste ot time and money, and a lost cause -- it was a long shot to win anyway, but even if we DID it would be by such a small margin that Jeb's boys could and would steal it. Not a criticism of Jeb, just a cold, hard fact. We were NOT going to get those EV's, because we could never win Florida by the 8-10 points necessary to swamp the, shall we say, machinations that would come into play if it were closer. As is, we lost fair and square, as I figured we would with Kerry as the candidate.

    Ohio is really two states, and we didn't win big enough in the north to counter the HUGE 'values' voting in the south. Simple as that. We misunderestimated how many of 'them' would turn out, and misoverestimated how many of 'us' would turn out.

    Political rule of thumb that everyone (willfully) forgot this year: NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER count on newly registered or young Dem voters to turn out. They never have. Never will. Every pro knows that. I think we got pretty pie-in-the-sky on that score this year, and so -- damn it -- did the Great Zogby (among a few others).
    Last edited by OES; 11-04-2004 at 11:05 AM.

  9. #9
    Opus was just napping
    Reputation: thatsmybush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,603
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEdScott
    I raved to anyone who would listen that Florida was a waste ot time and money, and a lost cause -- it was a long shot to win anyway, but even if we DID it would be by such a small margin that Jeb's boys could and would steal it. Not a criticism of Jeb, just a cold, hard fact. We were NOT going to get those EV's, because we could never win Florida by the 8-10 points necessary to swamp the, shall we say, machinations that would come into play if it were closer. As is, we lost fair and square, as I figured with would with Kerry as the candidate.

    Ohio is really two states, and we didn't win big enough in the north to counter the HUGE 'values' voting in the south. Simple as that. We misunderestimated how many of 'them' would turn out, and misoverestimated how many of 'us' would turn out.

    Political rule of thumb that everyone (willfully) forgot this year: NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER count on newly registered or young Dem voters to turn out. They never have. Never will. Every pro knows that. I think we got pretty pie-in-the-sky on that score this year, and so -- damn it -- did the Great Zogby (among a few others).
    Wasn't it Carville that said "what do you call a candidate that relies on new voters...a loser"
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

  10. #10
    OES
    OES is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    14,484

    Yeah, well, if you really want to argue I'm sure you

    Quote Originally Posted by DougSloan
    That's no fun. I like your insight and sparing. Sparing with most of the Libbies here is too frustrating for me, as I think it would a serious thinker like you, when most of the arguments are framed in terms of "moron; stupid; fascist; liar" etc. True ideological debate is great, but that's about 1% of what occurs here, amongst way too much noise. It's like trying to have a serious discussion in the middle of a group of 5 year olds well after their bed time and on a Halloween candy buzz.

    You gonna be hanging out with Carville? Seems like he *ought* to retire. Did anyone catch him with a trashcan on his head this time? Or, maybe you can do some huntin with JFK?

    Just teasin. I'm envious of your time to go ride now.
    could manage to bait me into it.

    'Retire' is a little strong. I'm just not going to be active in the politics business anymore. The kids I have working for me will, however, still be losing elections and shoveling profits my way. I'm joining the ranks of the exploiters!

    I'll be devoting my energies to the farm and the (gasp!) rental properties, which I've been ignoring. No life of leisure, but I SHOULD have more time to ride, one hopes on the bright yellow Waterford Scott mentioned.

  11. #11
    OES
    OES is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    14,484

    Bicentennial? HA!

    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMark
    .) And consider CycleOregon next September to commemorate the bicentennial of Lewis & Clark's amazing trip to the Edge of the America.
    We already HAD the damn bicentennial, up in Louisville at the Falls of the Ohio where Lewis and Clark STARTED their little odyssey. Man, talk about different TIME zones ...

  12. #12
    Ya, what ATP said...!
    Reputation: Fogdweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,140

    Congrats on your retirement

    Congrats Ed. Nice choice for a retirement rig as well. Remember to keep the wind at your back and the rubber side down.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PdxMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,524
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEdScott
    We already HAD the damn bicentennial, up in Louisville at the Falls of the Ohio where Lewis and Clark STARTED their little odyssey. Man, talk about different TIME zones ...
    It's the ultimate drag-your-starving-arse-over-the-Rockies-to-the-upper-reaches-of-the-Snake-
    River-to-buy-dogs-rather-than-eat-salmon time zone difference.

    But Huck Finn described almost all the magic that L&C experienced at the start of their trip. Sometimes the destination really is the destination. The Columbia ties together the birth of the truly continental United States and the taming of the west by the socialist industrialism lauded by Woody Guthrie. You can even dip your cleated toe into the Columbia and the Pacific at the same time, thanks to the remnants US Army's 19th century coastal defense network and the subsequent creation of state parks.

    And a nice yellow Waterford would be duly appreciated by many of the other 1,999 cyclists on the trip.

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,048

    Sort of like....

    ...a political Yoda for us Libbies!!!
    Charismatic Icon Animal Man

  15. #15
    OES
    OES is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    14,484

    One of my favorite books is

    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMark
    It's the ultimate drag-your-starving-arse-over-the-Rockies-to-the-upper-reaches-of-the-Snake-
    River-to-buy-dogs-rather-than-eat-salmon time zone difference.

    But Huck Finn described almost all the magic that L&C experienced at the start of their trip. Sometimes the destination really is the destination. The Columbia ties together the birth of the truly continental United States and the taming of the west by the socialist industrialism lauded by Woody Guthrie. You can even dip your cleated toe into the Columbia and the Pacific at the same time, thanks to the remnants US Army's 19th century coastal defense network and the subsequent creation of state parks.

    And a nice yellow Waterford would be duly appreciated by many of the other 1,999 cyclists on the trip.
    "Sometimes a Great Notion." The romance of logging! Wobblies! I love Oregon. Best acid I ever took was in Springfield, September 1974. We were dogging Kesey, ended up over in -- where was it? Up in Corvallis? Some town close by that starts with an 'R'? -- at a Rennaissance Faire that blew some minds. Ahem.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Henry Chinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,539
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEdScott
    "Sometimes a Great Notion." The romance of logging! Wobblies! I love Oregon. Best acid I ever took was in Springfield, September 1974. We were dogging Kesey, ended up over in -- where was it? Up in Corvallis? Some town close by that starts with an 'R'? -- at a Rennaissance Faire that blew some minds. Ahem.
    Ed? A Ken Kesey fan? Serious? I haven't read Sometimes a Great Notion--I'll check it out. My favorite novel from that era is Dog Soldiers by Robert Stone.

  17. #17
    OES
    OES is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    14,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    Ed? A Ken Kesey fan? Serious? I haven't read Sometimes a Great Notion--I'll check it out. My favorite novel from that era is Dog Soldiers by Robert Stone.
    Great book. Stone was a pal of Kesey's. He was 'on the bus,' as it were, ho, ho. The surreal Dog Soldier scenes back in the States were based on the psychedelic shenanigans out at Kesey's place in La Honda. I don't think Bukowski ever made it out there.

  18. #18
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    24,121
    Either yer wit' us, or agin' us.








    Death to Moby Dick.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  19. #19
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,013

    in the immortal words of Doc Holiday*

    *(as played by Val Kilmer)
    "I'll be your Huckleberry"
    have a good one Ole ed. we'll hold the fort down.

  20. #20

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    14

    OES, You definitely have to stick around...

    and throw around the wit and wisdom and politics...even if the latter is counter to much of what I believe. Otherwise, this place will be one constant shouting match of such meaningless blather.

    And I really need your 'Southern'ness here, someone who really understands life below the MD Line. There aren't many here who understand such important things.

    Otherwise, I'll just have to crawl back in my hole as there will be no other reason for me to stop by from time to time.

    Enjoy your time. Although, as I also have a couple of rentals, I know as do you, that you may not have much time to ride as you would like. My new philosophy for investment properties? Rent-to-Own...down payment when they move in, higher than normal rents, cash-out at the end (after about 3 years) and best of all......the tenants have a buyer mentality and they fix everything. I only hear from them once a month, when they drop off the rent checks. ;-)

Similar Threads

  1. 2008: Ten Reforms for the Democratic party
    By TrailSeer in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 02:18 PM
  2. $10,000 Gold Leaf Trek in stores
    By CARBON110 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 07:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.