NFL DRAFT 2014: I'm Sam I am, Sam the Ram, the Ram named Sam, that's what I am.
Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast
    xxl

Michael Sam is a Ram. He became a Ram last night, pick number #249 in the NFL draft.

And that's proving a tough thing for some of 'merica to swallow.

There was some question as to whether he'd ever get picked up, despite his being the SEC Defensive Player of the Year (the last six of those didn't go lower than seventeenth overall). Needless to say, he was happy when he did get drafted, but then this* occurred:

America took note: Ugly America Responds To Michael Sam Kissing A Man On ESPN

ESPN: 2014 NFL draft -- Michael Sam drafted by St. Louis Rams in seventh round - ESPN

I'm not a Facebookie, so I can't go check the ESPN story's "Comments" section, but there were some juicy tweets from NFL players in the main article.

[*"this" does not refer to the Rams picking Sam when Yawin Smallwood and Ken Bishop were still available. But think of this: If the Rams had managed to grab both Smallwood and Bishop, and those two somehow got into a fight during training camp, you might've had Smallwood trying to choke the Bishop.]

Ricardo Cabeza
    The teams that skipped over him are obviously anti gay.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    I'm actually surprised anyone drafted him. I'll be surprised if he lasts a season. Why? Because the focus will be on him being the first openly gay NFL player, and that's going to be a major distraction to him and to the team. I'm sure the team will give some consideration to that but in the end it's going to be about the team not the individual, and if the individual is holding the team back, he won't be around long.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member

It's just another reason I no longer follow the nfl. I fell out of love with it a long time ago.
    Either he is a great talent and homophobia will crush his career. Of he will rise up and be an amazing defensive player in spite if it all.
    It will be a story to follow, only time will tell

Bill

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    I'm actually surprised anyone drafted him. I'll be surprised if he lasts a season. Why? Because the focus will be on him being the first openly gay NFL player, and that's going to be a major distraction to him and to the team. I'm sure the team will give some consideration to that but in the end it's going to be about the team not the individual, and if the individual is holding the team back, he won't be around long.
    The SEC Defensive Player of the Year, All-American, and a Nagurski Award Finalist, and you're surprised that anyone drafted him?

I admit, there are questions, I wish he were just a little faster, but I'm not surprised Fisher gambled a 7th-round pick on him.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    The SEC Defensive Player of the Year, All-American, and a Nagurski Award Finalist, and you're surprised that anyone drafted him?

I admit, there are questions, I wish he were just a little faster, but I'm not surprised Fisher gambled a 7th-round pick on him.
    Yes, I'm surprised. I don't care how good of a player someone is, if they are a distraction, they hurt more than they help. As it is, he would have been taken in the first round had he not been openly gay.

SuperAndy's Garage

xxl
    Yes, I'm surprised. I don't care how good of a player someone is, if they are a distraction, they hurt more than they help. As it is, he would have been taken in the first round had he not been openly gay.
    What exactly does it mean to "be a distraction," anyway?

I've heard this phrase before from the sports pundits, but never really got it: Is the distraction taking the presence of reporters clogging the weight room or overrunning the practice field, preventing workouts, or what? Too much time spent answering questions from those reporters, instead of learning the playbook, watching video?

RoadBikeReview Member
    What exactly does it mean to "be a distraction," anyway?

I've heard this phrase before from the sports pundits, but never really got it: Is the distraction taking the presence of reporters clogging the weight room or overrunning the practice field, preventing workouts, or what? Too much time spent answering questions from those reporters, instead of learning the playbook, watching video?
    For any athletic team to be successful requires focus and anything can provide a distraction. This certainly has the potential to do that, it may not but it still was one of the considerations when looking at him for the draft. If you are rebuilding a program you don't need any tangential stories to get in the way.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    For any athletic team to be successful requires focus and anything can provide a distraction. This certainly has the potential to do that, it may not but it still was one of the considerations when looking at him for the draft. If you are rebuilding a program you don't need any tangential stories to get in the way.
    Can you give me any specific examples of what loss of focus would manifest itself as, day to day? Could you, for instance, see a player neglecting his art, because he's thinking about media exposure?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can you give me any specific examples of what loss of focus would manifest itself as, day to day? Could you, for instance, see a player neglecting his art, because he's thinking about media exposure?
    I can see media frenzy creating a distraction for the whole team. I don't think all that many NFL players give a damn what his sexual preferences are, he isn't the first gay man in the NFL.

xxl
    I can see media frenzy creating a distraction for the whole team. I don't think all that many NFL players give a damn what his sexual preferences are, he isn't the first gay man in the NFL.

Yes, but how exactly would you expect the distraction to, um, distract?

I think you're right, most of the players have bigger fish to fry than worrying about what's making someone else's dick hard, so why would this distract, and how would it work?

I ask, because one really will hear that term all the time from ESPN, et al., and in my limited exposure to sports, "distractions" were usually cheerleaders--media distractions were honestly never an issue.

Covfefe

[*"this" does not refer to the Rams picking Sam when Yawin Smallwood and Ken Bishop were still available. But think of this: If the Rams had managed to grab both Smallwood and Bishop, and those two somehow got into a fight during training camp, you might've had Smallwood trying to choke the Bishop.]
    1 2 3 4
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Covfefe
    Yes, lets not hold those who are doing the focusing to account here.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

RoadBikeReview Member

I think you're right, most of the players have bigger fish to fry than worrying about what's making someone else's dick hard, so why would this distract, and how would it work?

I ask, because one really will hear that term all the time from ESPN, et al., and in my limited exposure to sports, "distractions" were usually cheerleaders--media distractions were honestly never an issue.
    Did you have people who actually got media attention?

Covfefe

Off Sides. Number 69. 5 yard penalty. 3rd down.

Why is he a distraction? Do you lack impulse control?

Covfefe

I would think his arrest for misdemeanor DUI in Montana might have been a distraction. Oh wait... that was Trumaine Johnson. Never mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    I would think his arrest for misdemeanor DUI in Montana might have been a distraction. Oh wait... that was Trumaine Johnson. Never mind.
    Those things are also considered and weighed against talent and possible up side to the athlete. Many teams will pass on a kid with a long history of problems.

Covfefe
    Did you have people who actually got media attention?
    Maybe the teams and the league should terminate all of their broadcast agreements with the TV and radio networks since media attention is a problem.

Covfefe
    Those things are also considered and weighed against talent and possible up side to the athlete. Many teams will pass on a kid with a long history of problems.

NFL DISTRACTION DATABASE

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe the teams and the league should terminate all of their broadcast agreements with the TV and radio networks since media attention is a problem.
    Maybe, but that's not going to happen.

Covfefe
    Maybe, but that's not going to happen.
    I'd bet teams won't stop signing players with criminal records either. So what are these claims of potential distraction with Michael Sam about really?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd bet teams won't stop signing players with criminal records either. So what are these claims of potential distraction with Michael Sam about really?
    I'm not sure but a wild guess might be the potential for distraction?

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Was Jackie Robinson also "a distraction"?

Covfefe
    I'm not sure but a wild guess might be the potential for distraction?
    Like he could potential murder his partner in front of live ESPN cameras in his home?

This is beginning to remind of a scene in Idiocracy.

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    Was Jackie Robinson also "a distraction"?
    Don't be going there with your intolerance, boy.

Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast