OK, all-time biggest campaign screwup ever

Jan 2004

OK, all-time biggest campaign screwup ever

As Live Steam said in another context, you couldn't make this up:

You'll all remember how McCain pretended to suspend his campaign to rush to Washington to fix everything, and then they announced that it was done and he claimed credit--but his own party wouldn't back him up so it WASN'T done and he looked pretty lame?
    Well, that wasn't it.
    Some of you will remember that Nancy Pelosi said the bailout wouldn't fly unless it had Republican support, because she knew the Repubs would crawl out from under it if they could. You can imagine the campaign ads: "Barack Obama And His Liberal Allies Bailed Out Their Wall Street Cronies With YOUR Money." But since the GOP has no leadership, it didn't pass.
    Here's the cool part: According to Olberman, they ran the ad anyway. It was recorded in advance and released when they were sure the bill would go. Sure enough, it accuses Barack Obama of bailing out his Wall Street buddies "with OUR money." No mention of McCain trying to do the same thing and failing--and of course the legislation didn't pass, so they look even dumber and more panicky than they did.
    Are these guys just stumbling around the pool yelling "Marco" or what?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sadly, I think the people who support McCain will see this as Obama's attempt at a bailout/give-away, at the same time Obama is criticized (as he is here) for not doing more as decisively as McCain did to make the bailout happen. I think it doesn't even matter.... The W years and elections have taught us that... just say whatever with the right derisive tone, that's how you run & win elections.

I'm not sure that the ad is running by accident... wherever it is running...

tofurkey hunting
    wait, did mccain's uberleadership lead the bipartisan economic crisis/non-crisis before or after he won the debate? i can't keep his campaign's claims straight...
    i know i painted you a prettier picture, baby...my fiction beats the hell out of my truth

RoadBikeReview Member
    Obama has very carefully avoided any direct responsibiity for the bailout, or for anything else for that matter. "Present."

®
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit
    Obama has very carefully avoided any direct responsibiity for the bailout, or for anything else for that matter. "Present."

while that is true, mccain's camp is having a difficult time discerning their asses from elbows this week.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    while that is true, mccain's camp is having a difficult time discerning their asses from elbows this week.

I thought the biggest campaign blunder was when Gerald Ford got confused as to where he was, dropped his drawers and took a dump on the stage in Flushing, New York.

Or was it Butte, Montana.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Someone else, Hoo I think, said that Palin's ignorance was a feature, not a bug. So here with the dishonesty of the ad.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus .--Mark Twain

xxl
    Wait, wait; you said "all-time, biggest campaign screw-up ever." (I thought we were going historical.) I was going to suggest Ed Muskie's "crying," episode. He went from front-runner to also-ran in an instant, and we got Nixon. The USA really screwed the pooch on that one, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by harlond

Someone else, Hoo I think, said that Palin's ignorance was a feature, not a bug.

<3 that quote

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Dictated but not read.