OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! The Commies (or is one a fascist?) Shook Hands!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905

    OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! The Commies (or is one a fascist?) Shook Hands!

    .....
    Last edited by rocco; 05-31-2010 at 11:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Reputation: il sogno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    19,392
    No, silly. It's socialist meets commie!

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    19,389

    oh Hugo just wants..

    some attention on the world stage. he got it.
    why do you think he's beaming in the photo?

    I won't change much other than ratchet down the international tension hopefully...
    Not banned yet.

  4. #4
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    No, silly. It's socialist meets commie!

    I pretty sure the tea bagger crowd is calling Obama a fascist as of this week but I suspect that's subject to change back to socialist or commie next week... but hey Nazis were socialist too, right?

  5. #5
    Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Reputation: jupiterrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10,083
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco
    I pretty sure the tea bagger crowd is calling Obama a fascist as of this week but I suspect that's subject to change back to socialist or commie next week... but hey Nazis were socialist too, right?
    While you Godwin'd your own thread in an impressive 4 posts, I believe I have the record by self Godwining in the OP. Chavez is a tool.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,526
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh
    some attention on the world stage. he got it.
    why do you think he's beaming in the photo?

    I won't change much other than ratchet down the international tension hopefully...
    Why will this ratchet down the tension? Do you think Chavez is going to change his philosophy and his position that we are the enemy because Obama met with him? We have a whirlwind world tour, the results of which are somewhere down the line. We may find that tension isn't all that bad because it keeps the spotlight focused. Nasty stuff can grow in dark places.

  7. #7
    n00bsauce
    Reputation: Mel Erickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,507
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    While you Godwin'd your own thread in an impressive 4 posts, I believe I have the record by self Godwining in the OP. Chavez is a tool.
    Chavez IS a tool. But, most tools can be useful if used properly.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

    There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

    "We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

  8. #8
    E Plurbus Elvis
    Reputation: ElvisMerckx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,055
    This would only be news if he'd reached across the aisle and shaken hands with a Republican.

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,305
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    While you Godwin'd your own thread in an impressive 4 posts, I believe I have the record by self Godwining in the OP. Chavez is a tool.
    The people who turned out for those stupid teabag rallies are tools.

    And Fox News knows exactly how to use them.

  10. #10
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    While you Godwin'd your own thread in an impressive 4 posts, I believe I have the record by self Godwining in the OP. Chavez is a tool.

    Actually fascist is in the subject line and then there's this example here so I'm just telling it how it is.


  11. #11
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    Chavez IS a tool. But, most tools can be useful if used properly.

    Yep... Although arguably Republican and Democrat voters are tools too.

  12. #12
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905
    Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx
    This would only be news if he'd reached across the aisle and shaken hands with a Republican.

    Because there's such a big difference?

  13. #13
    Motorator
    Reputation: Starliner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,166
    Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx
    This would only be news if he'd reached across the aisle and shaken hands with a Republican.
    Wait - isn't that Newt Gingrich in the left foreground waiting his turn to shake hands with Chavez?
    Beam me up, baby.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,964
    Yes, this is really ripe for fun. Cheney is supposedly "blasting" the big O for a bow when Bush was kissing Middle East leaders. O would have to give them tongue for it to be news now.
    IceMan
    The Bike Whisperer
    "It's hard to be me, I just make it look easy."

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,526
    Quote Originally Posted by walleyeangler
    Yes, this is really ripe for fun. Cheney is supposedly "blasting" the big O for a bow when Bush was kissing Middle East leaders. O would have to give them tongue for it to be news now.
    Bowing is an act of subservience and doing so in an official setting is placing our country in a subservient position. I don't care if he blows him on a personal level.

  16. #16
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19,318
    Birds of a feather....
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit
    Bowing is an act of subservience and doing so in an official setting is placing our country in a subservient position. I don't care if he blows him on a personal level.
    Oh yeah, I forgot, the conservatives write the book on civil behavior - as they go along.

    God, this is why the conservatives led by jerks like Cheney and Rush have no freaking chance to get their act together. They are in utter denial about how dumb their positions really are. Kissing OK, bowing a no-no. Geez.
    IceMan
    The Bike Whisperer
    "It's hard to be me, I just make it look easy."

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by walleyeangler
    Oh yeah, I forgot, the conservatives write the book on civil behavior - as they go along.

    God, this is why the conservatives led by jerks like Cheney and Rush have no freaking chance to get their act together. They are in utter denial about how dumb their positions really are. Kissing OK, bowing a no-no. Geez.

    Once upon a time the Gray Lady herself thought that bowing to other leaders was a bad idea.

    http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/19/we...a-bow-bow.html

    "IF I see another king, I think I shall bite him," Teddy Roosevelt once growled. Offered that opportunity with the Japanese equivalent last week, Bill Clinton turned out to have had quite something else in mind.

    It wasn't a bow, exactly. But Mr. Clinton came close. He inclined his head and shoulders forward, he pressed his hands together. It lasted no longer than a snapshot, but the image on the South Lawn was indelible: an obsequent President, and the Emperor of Japan.

    Canadians still bow to England's Queen; so do Australians. Americans shake hands. If not to stand eye-to-eye with royalty, what else were 1776 and all that about? But Mr. Clinton, alas, is not the only one since George Washington who has seemed not quite to know what to make of monarchs.


    Too bad so much of today's MSM (including yourself, if memory serves) has become the Obama chorus.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Rolando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,766
    He bowed. It was a mistake. Score one for the critics. Let's see if his energy policy is also "placing our country in a subservient position".

  20. #20
    off the back
    Reputation: rufus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,322
    Shocking!!!!

    Obama shakes hands, bows to Mexican president's dog!!!!!!



    Oh, the outrage!!!
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

  21. #21
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    36,715
    [quote=d'oh_boy]Once upon a time the Gray Lady herself thought that bowing to other leaders was a bad idea.

    http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/19/weekinreview/the-world-the-president-s-inclination-no-it-wasn-t-a-bow-bow.html

    quote]

    In your rush to post, how come you didn't excerpt moreof the NYT article you posted, such as the very next paragraph:

    "There was that curtsy, during the Reagan years, when Lenore Annenberg, herself the chief of protocol, forgot herself entirely and did a little dip to greet a visiting Prince Charles. That prompted a stern warning from Miss Manners against those who might mock the effort that "was once put into freeing Americans from the necessity of bending their knees." Soon afterward, when Nancy Reagan greeted Queen Elizabeth II behind closed doors, her press secretary acknowledged that Mrs. Reagan had bowed her head but insisted, "It was definitely not a curtsy."

    Granted, Nancy wasn't the prez, just someone Ronnie was nailin', but it sure looks funny, her admittedly kowtowing to QE2 and all, she being the Wife of The Leader of The Most Powerful Nation on Earth at the time. And Lenore Annenberg? The gal whose job was supposed to be wiping Reagan's diplomatic nose for him? Walt Annenberg's widow? Who went on to become one of the "100 Ambassadors" who supported John McCain's campaign for president?

    Maybe Obama should've just taken a play from Shrub's father's playbook, and vomited on someone important.

  22. #22
    jaded bitter joy crusher
    Reputation: Fredke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    19,723
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl
    In your rush to post, how come you didn't excerpt moreof the NYT article you posted, such as the very next paragraph:
    But don't those paragraphs make d'oh boy's case for him: the NYT thinks it's a bad idea to bow to foreign royalty. If it's a bad idea when a diplomat or the first lady does it, then it's clearly worse when the President himself does it.

    I think this is all a tempest in a teapot, but logic is on d'oh boy's side with respect to the additional material you posted.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

  23. #23
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    36,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    But don't those paragraphs make d'oh boy's case for him: the NYT thinks it's a bad idea to bow to foreign royalty. If it's a bad idea when a diplomat or the first lady does it, then it's clearly worse when the President himself does it.

    I think this is all a tempest in a teapot, but logic is on d'oh boy's side with respect to the additional material you posted.
    Nyet. The NYT editorial staff of fifteen years ago might've thought so, but never actually came out in full castigation mode in the piece and said, "Wow, this is sooo wrong." Instead, the Times prevaricated its way to statements such as how other politicos, "alas," such as Clinton, Nancy, and the recently-departed Mrs. Annenberg, didn't "quite know what to make of monarchs."

    And, really, if it's clearly worse when a President himself does it, that implies some sort of valuation scheme, and then what was 1776 all about, if not to show all are equal?

    It also begs the question: Which is worse, for a President to maybe-bow to a monarch, or to have his squeeze definitely bow to one?

    But, I agree about it being a tempest in a teapot, and add that it's a very small teapot indeed.

  24. #24
    Self-Banned
    Reputation: rocco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,905
    Some parting shots.
    Last edited by rocco; 05-31-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.