Police Drones: Seattle cancels drone policy, returns drones to vendors
    warrrrrrrgh!!!

Police Drones: Seattle cancels drone policy, returns drones to vendors

Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn said Thursday that he and Police Chief John Diaz decided to cancel the use of two unmanned helicopters to better focus on maintaining the public's trust..."We agreed that it was time to end the unmanned aerial vehicle program, so that SPD can focus its resources on public safety and the community building work that is the department's priority," McGinn said in a statement.
    Seattle cancels police drone program after outcry over privacy issues - U.S. News

Apropo to events in LA--Seattle Police have had their own cases of wrongful shootings by terrified, undertrained officers, including the highly publicized case of John Williams, shot by SPD for walking down the street with his whittling knife.

That "the ends justify the means" has seemed to be a foregone conclusion with the militarization of police forces, it is encouraging to see a larger metro area asking if the ends achieved by these means are even the ones we want. IMO, getting cops out of the office and out of the squad cars is a big step to active community building and security.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

Milk was a bad choice.
    This drone genie thing needs to be put back in its evil little lamp before this thing gets out of control. See Charlottesville, Virginia's recent drone prohibiting ordnance. That's a start, but this needs to get to the state and federal level soon.

Not Banned
    kill it now before it grows
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Covfefe
    L.A./LAPD BTW, where the militarization of police forces started in the late 1960's under the direction of Daryl Gates.

The LAPD is chalked full of dummies. This I can say from experience... Doing the right things and going above and beyond what most residents do to trying to be helpful.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Moderatus Puisne
    Whew. I was in Seattle when this was first propsed.

I can certainly see how the police would want drones, and, even, how it may increase their ability to do their job. But, I do not support the invasion of privacy that it represents.

I may have something of a libertarian bent, but, I also disapprove of many of the "Non-searches" permitted now, and hope that the Supreme Court rules that the use of a police dog to sniff a private residence constitutes a search and requires a warrant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    in other words: "We forgot it was too cloudy in Seattle to make these things effective"
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Either drones or more CCTV cameras like England has. And what if the police have a way to track your car and remotely shut it down. This stuff of the future is rapidly becoming current technology. Honestly, I'm wondering where it will end.

Bill

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    in other words: "We forgot it was too cloudy in Seattle to make these things effective"
    After my long gray rainy ride today, when it was supposed to be sunny in Seattle, I am inclined to agree with this remark.

Moderatus Puisne
    A place with a great deal of police oversight over nearly everything in your life, if they like -- though of course most of the time they will not choose to use it on any given individual.

My previous home of Tacoma, WA saw frequent police tracking of cell phones, according to an ACLU FOIA request. I did appreciate the level of detail with which the TPD responded to the request.

I was pretty angry when I read about the policy. It is almost enough to break out the tinfoil hats and faraday cages.

Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    Either drones or more CCTV cameras like England has. And what if the police have a way to track your car and remotely shut it down. This stuff of the future is rapidly becoming current technology. Honestly, I'm wondering where it will end.

Bill