Policial hardball --- Once Upon A Time
    RoadBikeReview Member

Policial hardball --- Once Upon A Time

At some future juncture, there will be a reversal of the present circumstance. So once upon a time in the coming years there was Republican in charge of the White House and a Democratic majority in charge of the peoples the House.

The House passes a CR to keep the government doors open that requires all private, gun show, commercial and other gun transfers/sales to undergo a FBI background check.

President Cruz says no!

Is this anyway to run a government?
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    They only reason we have a CR is that Harry Reid in Senate has refused to pass a budget and the normal appropriations bills for the past 5 years. There is no reason to have a continuing resolution to fun all of government in one package. The reason we do is a failure of leadership in the Senate and White House.

As for debating gun control legislation. We did that with this congress not long ago. However if the issue is raised again in future congress so be it. It is a legitimate topic for discussion no matter how I feel about the issue. We will also debate future tax rates and spending. This happens every year and there will be fights on making sure social security remains solvent for years to come.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Specialized Venge | MTB - 2018 Specialized Epic - Vassago Verhauen Steel SS - 2013 Santa Cruz 5010

RoadBikeReview Member

FACT CHECK - Senate has not passed a budget in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    They only reason we have a CR is that Harry Reid in Senate has refused to pass a budget and the normal appropriations bills for the past 5 years.
    FALSE - The Senate passed a budget in March of this year.

Senate passes first budget in four years - The Hill's On The Money
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post

Wow.. first budget in 4 years... That is your highlight for Harrry Reid.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Specialized Venge | MTB - 2018 Specialized Epic - Vassago Verhauen Steel SS - 2013 Santa Cruz 5010

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Wow.. first budget in 4 years... That is your highlight for Harrry Reid.
    My highlight is educating you Joe. so you won't make foolish claims like the Senate has not passed a budget in five years.

Your welcome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    At some future juncture, there will be a reversal of the present circumstance. So once upon a time in the coming years there was Republican in charge of the White House and a Democratic majority in charge of the peoples the House.

The House passes a CR to keep the government doors open that requires all private, gun show, commercial and other gun transfers/sales to undergo a FBI background check.

President Cruz says no!

Is this anyway to run a government?
    Can we look into what the founders intended? Isn't that of *utmost* importance at times like these? Did they build in this check on our democratic process? Kind of a bail out on legislation and voting, etc.?

You seem to think that the Republican Party can recover from a shutdown longer than a week. It's very exposed.

Say it lasts two weeks and bleeds into debt ceiling time, when the House radicals have only one play—to destroy the world economy—and the old GOPers keep playing...I think that could drive them into the cold for a mighty long time.

But we'll all be cold if it happens.
    "That was some weird sh!t."—overheard from George W. Bush after attending Trump's inauguration

RoadBikeReview Member
    The hostage has been shot the swat team is at the door. Only got 2 options left. Give up or blow up the building. How lucky do you feel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    The hostage has been shot the swat team is at the door. Only got 2 options left. Give up or blow up the building. How lucky do you feel?
    The House has only one option left.
    "That was some weird sh!t."—overheard from George W. Bush after attending Trump's inauguration

RoadBikeReview Member

Then what's the problem today? Why don't they just live within the budget they passed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Then what's the problem today? Why don't they just live within the budget they passed?
    The way I understand it. The house won't vote on it or go to a conference committee. This could have been worked out 6 months ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    This could have been worked out 6 months ago.
    No, it couldn't.

Six months ago—they were trying it then.

Seven times.

No legislation.

They were elected to do it.

The issues are unimportant.

They really aren't important.

This is an anti-government action. Anti-US action.

All the radical rump wants to do is shut down the government. Did you see them laughing and high-fiving after they voted to shut it down? They were described as "giddy" and "ecstatic." They love this crap just for itself and for no other reason.

They suck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Can we look into what the founders intended? Isn't that of *utmost* importance at times like these? Did they build in this check on our democratic process? Kind of a bail out on legislation and voting, etc.?

You seem to think that the Republican Party can recover from a shutdown longer than a week. It's very exposed.

Say it lasts two weeks and bleeds into debt ceiling time, when the House radicals have only one play—to destroy the world economy—and the old GOPers keep playing...I think that could drive them into the cold for a mighty long time.

But we'll all be cold if it happens.
    Seems one of the things worst then the current circumstances would be just one political party. Another would be to keep electing 95% of the House incumbents over & over & over.

I don't see the GOP reforming itself until a real thrashing. Maybe 2014?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The way I understand it. The house won't vote on it or go to a conference committee. This could have been worked out 6 months ago.
    You mean the GOP controlled House refused to compromise?

Maybe they were too busy voting to repeal Obamacare.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

I don't see the GOP reforming itself until a real thrashing. Maybe 2014?
    The GOP radical districts will still be trying to harm the president and the country.

So it will be a very clear choice across the country.

The old-fashioned "classy" GOP (did I actually say that?) has to outspend the Cruz Crazies on their own ground, "primary" them, run 'em out, backed by friends in the business community who can see clearly how this trends.

It's their own fault for letting it happen. No sympathy here.