PREGNANCY: should companies accommodate?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/03...mination-case/

UPS is my preferred company for shipping.... Looks like they just got demoted
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    If a light duty position was available she should have had the opportunity to fill it, but I do not think one should have to be created for her.

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    A shame you haven't figured out pregnancy leave, like the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Bill2; 12-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No.......

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    A shame you haven't figured out pregnancy leave, like the rest of the world.
    It's called maternity leave

And doesn't cover the whole pregnancy plus some time after.... The rest of the world included

And due to the publicity of the Supreme Court case, UPS is now changing their rules to accommodate

The timing is great Due to Christmas season when demand for UPS, USPS and FedEx sharply increased
    Last edited by tednugent; 12-03-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    doesn't cover the whole pregnancy plus some time after.... The rest of the world included
    You have no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    If she has a high risk pregnancy, then she should be accommodated or go on sick leave. If she becomes unable physically to lift boxes due to her belly size in her final couple of months, then they should find her a desk job to do. Or that's how it would be handled in other first world countries.

AND the US should catch up and give 1 year maternity leave like Europe & Canada does. Time for US to get out of the dark ages when it comes to supporting women.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    if that were to happen small business would avoid hiring women of child bearing age.
    maternity leave is not paid leave in a lot of places...it just means you still have a job when your child is old enough to go to day care.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    If she becomes unable physically to lift boxes due to her belly size in her final couple of months, then they should find her a desk job to do.
    Even if you look at pregnancy as a ADA issue, the limit of reasonable accommodation is when it is drawn to the essential function of the job.

Years ago, I worked at FedEx. My essential function was the ability to lift a 50 lb box. I had to demonstrate this ability before getting hired.

Her job was to lift boxes. She underwent a voluntary physical change. That voluntary physical change prevents her from performing the essential function of her job. But, you think the company should make up a new position and give it to her - even if the company does not need the position (as evidenced by the fact that it does not exist) and/or she is not qualified to do it? She should just get a new job because she chose to be pregnant (unless she is experiencing immaculate conception or is victim of sex crime - she chose).

That attitude is definitely treating women as equals to men. You know giving them a job just because they are a pregnant woman, not because they are the best person for the job.

Don't see why an employer should be expected to act as some form of a private welfare system expected to support some pregnant women that cannot do the job they were hired to do.

If you cannot work during pregnancy, you can take FML, quit, or get terminated.

All that is said with the experience of my wife who had a very hard pregnancy. It was not planned - we were just practicing. She was not able to work. We lost her income, but made it work.

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by obed View Post
    if that were to happen small business would avoid hiring women of child bearing age.
    maternity leave is not paid leave in a lot of places...it just means you still have a job when your child is old enough to go to day care.
    And for gender discrimination in hiring they can and should be found in violation the law.
    Last edited by TerminatorX91; 12-03-2014 at 08:36 PM.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Covfefe

Replying to the thread

Nothing like watching a bunch of sexist conservative male knuckle-draggers chime in on this - so completely predictable.
    Last edited by TerminatorX91; 12-03-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Nothing like watching a bunch of sexist conservative male knuckle-draggers chime in on this - so completely predictable.
    So you think employers should act as a private welfare system to support some pregnant women that cannot do the job they were hired to do?

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    So you think employers should act as a private welfare system to support some pregnant women that cannot do the job they were hired to do?
    For this very specifically, put them on a desk job for as long their physician says they can stay on the job. If the doctor says no then they should get 55% pay for the duration of the pregnancy. I also support 35 weeks parental leave with 55% pay shared with father.

banned
    Jul 2011

Re: PREGNANCY: should companies accommodate?

Quote Originally Posted by obed View Post
    Ding ding ding. Winner. Unintended consequences.

But can you rationally make the decision to hire an equally qualified woman if she could just take a year off. Paid?

banned
    Jul 2011

And for gender discrimination in hiring they can and should found in violation the law.
    Unless the law mandates discrimination as you advocate.

You cannot rationally hire someone who is entitled to a year paid leave on their choosing.

banned
    Jul 2011

For this very specifically, put them on a desk job for as long their physician says they can stay on the job. If the doctor says no then they should get 55% pay for the duration of the pregnancy. I also support 35 weeks parental leave with 55% pay shared with father.
    And if there is no desk job available?

Maybe transfer the person who earned the desk job to the lifting job? What if the person in that job is also incapable of lifting? Maybe they have the boogeyman pre-existing condition?!?

Or ok the company should pay 55% of pay because of something an employee chose? Where does that money come from? Maybe you can make up for it by doing her job for 45% of her pay?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    So, what you are saying is that I can retire by having a series of babies' mamas (maybe parallel and series babies' mamas). The babies' mamas will get 45% of their pay and give me 55%. Sweet. Your welfare system is even better than I thought.

Or a woman can have a lifetime of pay by just staying pregnant.

Or, quite reasonably a family could have 5 or 6 kids with a "working" mom who does no work for 5 or 6 years, but gets paid during that time.

Does your welfare plan also include performance and cost of living raises?

RoadBikeReview Member
    And for gender discrimination in hiring they can and should found in violation the law.
    agreed... but gonna be tough to prove.

banned
    Jul 2011

Cost of living? Let's go old school porter's wage increases.

As for performance bonuses. That could be tricky if all they are doing is getting pregnant unless . . .

Covfefe
    So, what you are saying is that I can retire by having a series of babies' mamas (maybe parallel and series babies' mamas). The babies' mamas will get 45% of their pay and give me 55%. Sweet. Your welfare system is even better than I thought.

Or a woman can have a lifetime of pay by just staying pregnant.

Or, quite reasonably a family could have 5 or 6 kids with a "working" mom who does no work for 5 or 6 years, but gets paid during that time.

Let it DERP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Let it DERP.
    Scholarly retort demonstrating thorough knowledge and thoughtfulness.

Satanic Watch Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    If she has a high risk pregnancy, then she should be accommodated or go on sick leave. If she becomes unable physically to lift boxes due to her belly size in her final couple of months, then they should find her a desk job to do. Or that's how it would be handled in other first world countries.

AND the US should catch up and give 1 year maternity leave like Europe & Canada does. Time for US to get out of the dark ages when it comes to supporting women.
    This ^^

As watched this piece on another network, I thought what a "non-story" this would be in the rest of Western society.
    The crumbling of our wide freeways suggest a narrower vision

Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda.

MAKE AMERICA SMART AGAIN

Satanic Watch Winder
    Even if you look at pregnancy as a ADA issue, the limit of reasonable accommodation is when it is drawn to the essential function of the job.

Years ago, I worked at FedEx. My essential function was the ability to lift a 50 lb box. I had to demonstrate this ability before getting hired.

Her job was to lift boxes. She underwent a voluntary physical change. That voluntary physical change prevents her from performing the essential function of her job. But, you think the company should make up a new position and give it to her - even if the company does not need the position (as evidenced by the fact that it does not exist) and/or she is not qualified to do it? She should just get a new job because she chose to be pregnant (unless she is experiencing immaculate conception or is victim of sex crime - she chose).

That attitude is definitely treating women as equals to men. You know giving them a job just because they are a pregnant woman, not because they are the best person for the job.

Don't see why an employer should be expected to act as some form of a private welfare system expected to support some pregnant women that cannot do the job they were hired to do.

If you cannot work during pregnancy, you can take FML, quit, or get terminated.

All that is said with the experience of my wife who had a very hard pregnancy. It was not planned - we were just practicing. She was not able to work. We lost her income, but made it work.
    Does anyone else detect jealousy here?
    The crumbling of our wide freeways suggest a narrower vision

Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda.

MAKE AMERICA SMART AGAIN

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oily666 View Post
    Does anyone else detect jealousy here?
    Yes, I am jealous. I want to be paid for not working. Seriously. I would spend more time ride my bike and fishing.

Back to the issue: So you think employers should act as a private welfare system to support some pregnant women that cannot do the job they were hired to do?

I am honestly surprised that people believe a business should financially support a person who is not able to do the job.

Didn't realize that people living on government welfare are bad, but people living on corporate (corporate in the business sense) welfare are good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, I am jealous. I want to be paid for not working. Seriously. I would spend more time ride my bike and fishing.

Back to the issue: So you think employers should act as a private welfare system to support some pregnant women that cannot do the job they were hired to do?

I am honestly surprised that people believe a business should financially support a person who is not able to do the job.

Didn't realize that people living on government welfare are bad, but people living on corporate (corporate in the business sense) welfare are good.
    there is "bonding time" for fathers too.. atleast in California that is. I have no idea of how long it is though... it came after I was done having kids.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast