Quarantine

Thread: Quarantine

Covfefe

Quarantine

If Thomas Eric Duncanís family, none which who've thus far have turned up positive for Ebola, should be in a forced quarantine then why shouldn't the healthcare workers who treated him, two of which have contracted Ebola, also be required to under the same quarantine standards?

Quarantines and Travel Bans: Could They Work to Thwart Ebola?
    What rules are in place to prevent pandemics?
    - Scientific American

Thomas Eric Duncanís family has been imprisoned in a borrowed home for a few weeks now, purportedly under police guard. This quarantine is an attempt to keep any Ebola virus from spreading further after their loved one died of the disease on October 8.

That quarantine has not been applied to hospital workers who came into contact with Duncan on either his first visit to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospitalówhen he was turned awayóor his second visit two days later. To date, two of the medical workers who helped care for Duncan have now contracted Ebola, and one of them flew to Cleveland and back for the Columbus Day weekend before becoming symptomatic.

Just as air travel brought the Ebola virus to Dallas from Liberia, where the pandemic is spreading out of control, air travel could spread the virus throughout the U.S. and the world by travelers who donít know they are infected. Travel restrictions, isolation of the infected and quarantine of those known to have been in contact with the infected are a few of the measures that have been suggested for stopping that spread.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I believe the nurses that tested positive are now quarantined. I believe the first one was flown to the NIH facility in Maryland, not sure of the 2nd.

EDIT: The 2nd nurse is being treated at Emory Hospital in Atlanta

Ebola in U.S.: Who has it, who doesn't, who might - CNN.com

What I read today is that the CDC clearly informed the hospital and set the ground rules back in July and that the hospital completely screwed the pooch by not following the rules and procedures and has essentially admitted that.

I can recall well my sisters comments after her 43 years as an emergency room nurse in a city hospital in SF about just how ****ed up the management was and how they (hospital management) bent rules and failed to follow safe procedures all the time. So none of this is really surprising.

banned
    Dec 2012
    Really just routine procedures ramped up a notch. Sterilize, confine, clean well, do it and do it right. Or die. get it ??

Pretty unfathomable what these people did. Oh, wait, they are humans.

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    I believe the nurses that tested positive are now quarantined. I believe the first one was flown to the NIH facility in Maryland, not sure of the 2nd.

EDIT: The 2nd nurse is being treated at Emory Hospital in Atlanta

Ebola in U.S.: Who has it, who doesn't, who might - CNN.com

What I read today is that the CDC clearly informed the hospital and set the ground rules back in July and that the hospital completely screwed the pooch by not following the rules and procedures and has essentially admitted that.

I can recall well my sisters comments after her 43 years as an emergency room nurse in a city hospital in SF about just how ****ed up the management was and how they (hospital management) bent rules and failed to follow safe procedures all the time. So none of this is really surprising.
    Yes, of course they are but after the horses had left the barn. If it makes sense to force the people Duncan was staying with into quarantine then why was/is the policy inconsistent where the medical staff that were in contact with him come into question?
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

banned

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    what that seems to vindicate is a centralized, local command and control structure. they did ok mitigating the situation within the area under their control, but they weren't able to prevent infection and they didn't do all that well at keeping the infected alive.

i think there are lessons to be learned, but the biggest one i see is that the more you can isolate and insulate your own community, the better off you'll be. and that will be easier the smaller the community is. but that doesn't really help on a larger, let alone global, scale.

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by pone View Post
    what that seems to vindicate is a centralized, local command and control structure. they did ok mitigating the situation within the area under their control, but they weren't able to prevent infection and they didn't do all that well at keeping the infected alive.

i think there are lessons to be learned, but the biggest one i see is that the more you can isolate and insulate your own community, the better off you'll be. and that will be easier the smaller the community is. but that doesn't really help on a larger, let alone global, scale.
    And that approach creates a whole bunch of other problems as I'm sure we all can figure.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    And that approach creates a whole bunch of other problems as I'm sure we all can figure.
    because people with the resources will find a way to sneak their ill to places without restrictions and get them on planes, trains etc....
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    because people with the resources will find a way to sneak their ill to places without restrictions and get them on planes, trains etc....
    That and disruption of the flow of goods, including essential med supplies and equipment to where it may be urgently needed, economic disruption overall and etc., etc., etc. Trying to create, maintain and enforce so many large islands of quarantine probably isn't quite so simple.

RoadBikeReview Member
    and ultimately it isn't a solution.

preserving an isolated population (with a poor survival rate amongst the infected in that population) is irrelevant in the long term.

Covfefe
    and ultimately it isn't a solution.

preserving an isolated population (with a poor survival rate amongst the infected in that population) is irrelevant in the long term.
    It's a crude approach that would be expected from an old hardline communist regime.

RoadBikeReview Member
    i don't know that it's really a bad idea. if i were responsible for that group of people, then i'd try to do whatever i could to keep them safe. but that doesn't address what the virus means for the rest of the country, or planet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Duncan's family is out of the quarantine period today, and none show symptoms. Bloomburg news story. Can we dial back the worrying a little?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I think who should be and who should not be quarantined is an important question, but one that I am not qualified to answer.

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    Quote Originally Posted by obed View Post
    I think who should be and who should not be quarantined is an important question, but one that I am not qualified to answer.
    Like pre-emptive lethal force, if there is no definitive proof a person does NOT have ebola, they SHOULD be quarantined. Better safe than sorry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    You can't be too careful.

Rwandan exchange students in New Jersey were kept at home due to other parent's Ebola fears. Rwanda is 1000 miles away from the Ebola affected areas.

A Maine teacher was put on leave after attending a Dallas conference, 10 miles away from the Ebola patient's hospital.

The decision to place the teacher on leave was made by the MSAD 58 school board Thursday evening, after parents and community members expressed frustration that they were not notified that the teacher would be traveling to Dallas, where the nationís first Ebola case was diagnosed.

banned

Not sure which article you read, but it sure wasn't the one I linked to.

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    Nigeria beat it. Is the US now inferior to Nigeria?

BBC News - Ebola crisis: Nigeria declared free of virus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Not sure which article you read, but it sure wasn't the one I linked to.
    because insulating a community in the face of a viral threat truly exemplifies the principles and virtues of laissez faire economics. i can see that now.