Rachel Maddow: "We Feared Susan's Covid Would Kill Her."
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,967

    Rachel Maddow: "We Feared Susan's Covid Would Kill Her."

    "Your risks could hurt those you love most."

    Watch this before you travel for the holidays to see family:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLazQ2tlhyM
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: nayr497's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,122
    I hope someone charts the pollution we WON'T generate by having millions of humans fly, and drive, across the country for a 2-3 day visit with family. Add in undergrad university students and the planet is probably very, very thankful for covid this year

  3. #3
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    29,899
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    I hope someone charts the pollution we WON'T generate by having millions of humans fly, and drive, across the country for a 2-3 day visit with family. Add in undergrad university students and the planet is probably very, very thankful for covid this year
    This varies by institution.

    My alma mater compacted their entire semester--finals start tomorrow. Kids are done before thanksgiving--and aren't coming back until 2021.


    So some travel might be saved....maybe.
    "We are doomed to live in very interesting times"

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    "Your risks could hurt those you love most."

    Watch this before you travel for the holidays to see family:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLazQ2tlhyM
    Thanks. That is moving, so obviously heartfelt.

    She’s telling the awful truth about this disease and about love.

    Calculate your level of risk against the person you love most dying alone struggling to breath.

    A single mistake and the world you knew will be over.
    Joseph R. Biden—First president in history to win more than 80,000,000 votes.

  5. #5
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,967
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Thanks. That is moving, so obviously heartfelt.

    She’s telling the awful truth about this disease and about love.

    Calculate your level of risk against the person you love most dying alone struggling to breath.

    A single mistake and the world you knew will be over.
    Exactly!
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,489
    Had a talk with a brother yesterday. His wife is the most accomplished person I know well. President of a major PR firm in DC engaged in government communications about the pandemic. (Working from home; Zoom meetings with thousands of attendees.) Speaks Russian fluently. Gives piano recitals. Smart as they come. Except. Has been planning with friends a multi-family CHRISTMAS SKI TRIP.

    I am fairly confident it won’t happen. But what is wrong with people?

    I’ve called my brother’s attention to the video. I suspect that the situation in a month will be so grave that he can get his family to cancel without being the bad guy. I suggested he find the Covid dashboard for the CO county destination and monitor it as the numbers go up, which they surely will. Decide on a ceiling and make it a no-brainer.

    But Rachel’s point is clear. No level of voluntary risk is acceptable considering the not unlikely outcome.

    People’s poor understanding continues to confound me.
    Joseph R. Biden—First president in history to win more than 80,000,000 votes.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    27,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    "Your risks could hurt those you love most."

    Watch this before you travel for the holidays to see family:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLazQ2tlhyM
    Here --- watch --- stay home --- be thankful


    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.


    My job is to call balls and strikes and not pitch or swing a bat. ... I have no agenda.

  8. #8
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    This varies by institution.

    My alma mater compacted their entire semester--finals start tomorrow. Kids are done before thanksgiving--and aren't coming back until 2021.


    So some travel might be saved....maybe.
    My alma mater used to go by the quarter system, and we always had finals on Thanksgiving week, followed by the next quarter starting on Monday. I lived locally, but, man, that makes for one exhausting week!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,489

    Expect a massive spike in December

    "Large crowds and long lines were seen at O'Hare International Airport Friday as travelers prepared to depart Chicago ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday.

    “No one is 6 feet apart. Everyone is kind of 3 feet apart or 2 feet apart. It’s horrible.”

    "The lines and crowds come one day after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new guidance urging Americans not to travel for the holiday."

    https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...liday/2376658/
    Joseph R. Biden—First president in history to win more than 80,000,000 votes.

  10. #10
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,967
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    "Large crowds and long lines were seen at O'Hare International Airport Friday as travelers prepared to depart Chicago ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday.

    “No one is 6 feet apart. Everyone is kind of 3 feet apart or 2 feet apart. It’s horrible.”

    "The lines and crowds come one day after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new guidance urging Americans not to travel for the holiday."

    https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...liday/2376658/
    Covidiots!

    I haven't been on any public transportation since this whole thing started.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    27,757
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    "Large crowds and long lines were seen at O'Hare International Airport Friday as travelers prepared to depart Chicago ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday.

    “No one is 6 feet apart. Everyone is kind of 3 feet apart or 2 feet apart. It’s horrible.”

    "The lines and crowds come one day after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued new guidance urging Americans not to travel for the holiday."

    https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...liday/2376658/
    Its one thing to be an ignorant Trump voter. It is however entirely another to place those you will meet along the Thanksgiving holiday, plus putting yourself at risk of becoming inflected ... then a spreader, or causing someone else's suffering, niot to mention your unintended suicide.

    Honestly I just don't get it other then the degraded abilities of Americans to demonstrate prudent personal discipline skills.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.


    My job is to call balls and strikes and not pitch or swing a bat. ... I have no agenda.

  12. #12
    Escorted from White House
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    35,864
    I'm a Rachel fan... she's one of the most intelligent political anchors/pundits on air, period. Makes the Faux News clown car of pundits look like the mental midgets they are.

    Really glad her longtime partner is recovering from covid, would've been truly heartbreaking if it'd gone the other way.

    Btw, Rachel's a fellow Bay Arean, grew up in Casto Valley maybe a thirty minute drive from me. Go Rachel!
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did — peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

    Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

    Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

    Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

    Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.


  13. #13
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,967
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Its one thing to be an ignorant Trump voter. It is however entirely another to place those you will meet along the Thanksgiving holiday, plus putting yourself at risk of becoming inflected ... then a spreader, or causing someone else's suffering, niot to mention your unintended suicide.

    Honestly I just don't get it other then the degraded abilities of Americans to demonstrate prudent personal discipline skills.
    And it bears writing this part of the video clip just for emphasis:

    "For Thanksgiving next week, you really are going to just have to have it at home without people coming over. Yeah, that's going to suck. But that is going to suck so much less than you or somebody in your family getting this and getting sick."
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,489
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I'm a Rachel fan... she's one of the most intelligent political anchors/pundits on air, period. Makes the Faux News clown car of pundits look like the mental midgets they are.

    Really glad her longtime partner is recovering from covid, would've been truly heartbreaking if it'd gone the other way.

    Btw, Rachel's a fellow Bay Arean, grew up in Casto Valley maybe a thirty minute drive from me. Go Rachel!
    It's difficult to overstate her importance or think of someone comparable even looking way back.
    Joseph R. Biden—First president in history to win more than 80,000,000 votes.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Covidiots!

    I haven't been on any public transportation since this whole thing started.
    And Illinois has twice the average US rate at the moment.

    Does make for an authentic thanks giving dinner though. Sharing food with the visitors that in return shares a deadly virus with you.
    Blows your hair back.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    27,757
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    And Illinois has twice the average US rate at the moment.

    Does make for an authentic thanks giving dinner though. Sharing food with the visitors that in return shares a deadly virus with you.
    "Could you pass the mash potatoes, gravy, and Covid please."
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.


    My job is to call balls and strikes and not pitch or swing a bat. ... I have no agenda.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-25-2009, 07:19 AM
  3. Should we have feared this?
    By Dctrofspin in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 01:09 AM
  4. Rachel Maddow gives instructions for a victory cocktail
    By Mel Erickson in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 10:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.