so let's check in on that "progress" happening in Iraq
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    off the back

so let's check in on that "progress" happening in Iraq

so are we progressing? Boy George's own hand-picked ambassador doesn't seem to think so, judging by his memo to the president.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061601768.html

link to the cable in PDF
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ocs_061606.pdf

hmmm, etnic strife, kidnappings, shadow groups setting up economic and military structures in neighborhoods, workers for the americans in fear for their lives, little electricity, sounds promising.

let's see, what else? oh yeah, the very Iraqi troops that we're training are using their new found weapons and skills to then murder our soldiers. and we've known this for several years and haven't revealed it. that's nice, we spend hundreds of billions to train the very people we're fighting against. good job.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGV6JHMR81.DTL

shot eight times by the very same people he was training. and these are the people, like those that beheaded the two american soldiers recently, that the repubs, and many here, want to give amnesty to.

now, how's that reconstruction coming along? the shools, the hospitals? the bright shining beacon the neo-cons point to signalling the new democratic iraq?

hmmm, not so great. i'd link to the actual NYT's article, but it's behind their subscription firewall.
    http://americablog.blogspot.com/2006...ut-surely.html

The Army Corps of Engineers said Monday that it had canceled a $99.1 million contract with Parsons, one of the largest companies working in Iraq, to build a prison north of Baghdad after the firm fell more than two years behind schedule, threatened to go millions of dollars over budget and essentially abandoned the construction site.

The move is another harsh rebuke for Parsons, only weeks after the corps canceled more than $300 million of the company's contracts to build and refurbish hospitals and clinics across Iraq. A federal oversight office had found that some of the clinics were little more than empty shells and that only 20 of 150 called for in the contract would be completed without new financing.
    and how's that new democratic government in Afghanistan working out?
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...anistan21.html
    looks as if they're learning the lessons their masters have taught them well.
    In a coordinated action this week, the intelligence men drove up to TV stations and newspapers in SUVs and dropped off an unsigned letter ordering journalists to report more favorable news about the government. In particular, the letter said, they should avoid "materials which deteriorate people's morale and cause disappointment to them."
    yessir, looks like everything's going along quite swimmingly. Heckuva job, Bushie.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

Banned forever.....or not
    Too small to measure, but look on the bright side......In another 10 years, most of the really crazy people over there will have blown themselves up, trying to kill Americans.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

off the back
    i love the sound of crickets chirping in the morning.

sounds like.....................victory!
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    i love the sound of crickets chirping in the morning.

The title of your post is misleading. You didn't list a single good thing. You simply cut and paste some negatives. We all know what the negatives are as the press keeps hammering away at them all day every day.

You ignored the good things. All of the monumental milestones that have been planned and been delivered.

It's almost like you simply want to discredit what we are doing in Iraq instead of weighing the whole matter fairly and with the mature objectivity required.

Why didn't you title the thread, Same ol' Same ol'?
    Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Koran, the Muslim book of scripture, should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on Earth.

Omar M. Ahmad, founder of Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    So this is 'victory' for you? You are all for the US failing just so you can advance the political agenda of the left? Just as I thought.

Nice slanted portrayal of the situation. Has the left ever taken a stance they can live with? I doubt it!

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrumm
    The title of your post is misleading. You didn't list a single good thing. You simply cut and paste some negatives. We all know what the negatives are as the press keeps hammering away at them all day every day.

You ignored the good things. All of the monumental milestones that have been planned and been delivered.

It's almost like you simply want to discredit what we are doing in Iraq instead of weighing the whole matter fairly and with the mature objectivity required.

Why didn't you title the thread, Same ol' Same ol'?
    OK..I'll be charitable here:

1) Took Saddamn out of power and replaced him with a US-approved puppet---check

2) They got to vote for the US approved puppets--check

3) Halliburton got lots of $$ to rebuild the crap we blew up-- check

4) Killed the Al Zarquawi boogyman...10 more take his place--check.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

banned
    BJ you are better than this. If you cannot see anything other than what the libby talking points are, than I do have pity. However what should we expect from a person who lives in the most liberal elitist enclave in the country, where the the ethnic diversity is little more than an Eyetalian moving into the hood or a few new Mexicans standing around looking to clean your house? Nice that you walk the talk.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam
    BJ you are better than this. If you cannot see anything other than what the libby talking points are, than I do have pity. However what should we expect from a person who lives in the most liberal elitist enclave in the country, where the the ethnic diversity is little more than an Eyetalian moving into the hood or a few new Mexicans standing around looking to clean your house? Nice that you walk the talk.
    OK...I have an open mind...what do you see invading Iraq has accomplished? Maybe I missed something?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

banned
    I believe I've made those sentiments known here for quite a while. Look the ME has been a mess for way longer than GWB has been in office. No one has had an answer to the political strife that plagues that region. However, on 9/11/2001 the course of how we approached the ME changed. We did not change it. Those in the ME did. Our intervention in that region went from diplomatic to military and rightfully so. The powers that be in the ME need to understand we will not sit back as targets and allow them to reek havoc without consequences. The situation is and has been changing drastically especially with a nation like Iran looking to obtain nukes. At this point in time I prefer our leaders be pro-active rather than reactive or even passive, which is what we did for the last decade. We were hit time and again with little response. The leadership in the ME need to take responsibility to quell the extremism or we have to do it for them. We cannot do it from thousands of miles away.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    OK..I'll be charitable here:

1) Took Saddamn out of power and replaced him with a US-approved puppet---check

2) They got to vote for the US approved puppets--check

3) Halliburton got lots of $$ to rebuild the crap we blew up-- check

4) Killed the Al Zarquawi boogyman...10 more take his place--check.
    -OR-

1)Killed Saddams Son's, Killed Saddam, Direct result is Libya giving up nuke program. I can live with that.

2) Enormous turnout of voters who risked their lives by having their fingers stained purple. The media said it couldn't happen it happened. It happened anyway.

3) Haliburton is doing everything they can to spinoff the subsidiary that holds the Iraq contract. The Iraqi contract is probably the first costs plus 2 percent contract that will lose money.

4) Killed Zarqawi and obtained intell that A) shows Al Q is hurting in Iraq, and B) helpled the US/Iraqi forces round up hundreds of AL Q. Not too shabby.

1 guy took Zarqawi's place. I've got a feeling that no one is willing to sell him a life insurance policy regardless of the premium.

The glass is half full.
    Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Koran, the Muslim book of scripture, should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on Earth.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam
    I believe I've made those sentiments known here for quite a while. ..... The leadership in the ME need to take responsibility to quell the extremism or we have to do it for them. We cannot do it from thousands of miles away.
    Amen!

Genitive Declensioner
    Amen!
    So when do we take out The House of Saud????
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by svend
    So when do we take out The House of Saud????

When indeed. There is no doubt the the Saudis are a if not the leading agitators when it comes to the Radical Islamists.

I don't know what the plan is, but I do not that we can't have an invasion of SA like we did Iraq. Nobody was going to mourn the loss of Saddam. Stropping the flow of oil from Iraq could be absorbed by the global market short term. Those factors are different in SA. We are going to have to solve the SA problem differently.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    -OR-

1)Killed Saddams Son's, Killed Saddam, Direct result is Libya giving up nuke program. I can live with that.

2) Enormous turnout of voters who risked their lives by having their fingers stained purple. The media said it couldn't happen it happened. It happened anyway.

3) Haliburton is doing everything they can to spinoff the subsidiary that holds the Iraq contract. The Iraqi contract is probably the first costs plus 2 percent contract that will lose money.

4) Killed Zarqawi and obtained intell that A) shows Al Q is hurting in Iraq, and B) helpled the US/Iraqi forces round up hundreds of AL Q. Not too shabby.

1 guy took Zarqawi's place. I've got a feeling that no one is willing to sell him a life insurance policy regardless of the premium.

The glass is half full.
    Oh yeah!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    Oh yeah!
    Cute.

Looks like RTP coolaid is cherry. What flavor is the DTP coolaid?

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    -OR-

The glass is half full.
    For $300 billion plus and a couple thousand lives I was hoping for something more than half a glass.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder
    For $300 billion plus and a couple thousand lives I was hoping for something more than half a glass.

Really? Because based on your typical post what you seem to hope for is that the US will admit total failure, cut and run, then impeach Bush after winning a landslide mid-term election.

Genitive Declensioner
    When indeed. There is no doubt the the Saudis are a if not the leading agitators when it comes to the Radical Islamists.

I don't know what the plan is, but I do not that we can't have an invasion of SA like we did Iraq. Nobody was going to mourn the loss of Saddam. Stropping the flow of oil from Iraq could be absorbed by the global market short term. Those factors are different in SA. We are going to have to solve the SA problem differently.
    Well the plan could be to wean our selves off the teat of big oil but that would require sacrifice and change, something the oil addicted Cons would never do. Oil men would never cut off their lifeline, better to wage perpetual war and use fear of the bogeyman than to tackle the root causes......
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by svend
    Well the plan could be to wean our selves off the teat of big oil.....
    I'm sorry that I made the "sense of humor" comment earlier. You obviously have a terrific idea of jokes.

Oil addiction isn't the sole problem of the Right. Plenty of lib mommies where I live truck their kids around in the Suburban/Hummer/Range Rover/etc.

I appreciate the sentiment. Really truly. Of course it would be great if we weren't selfish slobs that lead ugly materialistic lives. But we do, and its a habit and I for one don't see that changing anytime soon. Do you?

Take smack away from a seious heroin junkie and there is a fair chance he won't live through the withdrawl. Pull the plug on oil and the modern world would fail rapidly.

Billions dead.

Soon to be banned
    -OR-

The glass is half full.
    One thing is clear... You're dumber than I thought you were.

1. Bin laden still roaming free. Zarqawi lived for 3+ years in a war zone... At this pace bin laden will die of old age before we hold him accountable.

2. Iraq in a state of Civil War.

3. People in Iraq didn't know what they were voting for. Don't understand democracy at the point of a gun.

4. Halliburton got their no-bid contract due to Dick Cheney's involvement. Why aren't we letting Iraq choose who rebuilds their country? How about the $10 billion of missing US taxpayer money for this unnecessary clusterf*uck??
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

السلام عليكم

Genitive Declensioner
    Take smack away from a seious heroin junkie and there is a fair chance he won't live through the withdrawl. Pull the plug on oil and the modern world would fail rapidly.

Billions dead.
    Hyperbole isn't your strong suit, best stick with your RTP's.......here I'll help you out with what I wrote

Wean:
    To detach from that to which one is strongly habituated or devoted:
    To detach usually gradually from a cause of dependence

No effort has been put forth to even begin the process, one of many failures of this admin that history will note.......

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    Zarqawi lived for 3+ years in a war zone...
    Just finishing Paul Reikhoff's new book called Chasing Ghosts (good read by the way). He claims that there was a mission to kill Zarkawi before he ever got famous and it was called off due to red tape and underestimating his threat. They had a squad ready to assassinate him during the first weeks of the war, but chose not to do it.

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Just finishing Paul Reikhoff's new book called Chasing Ghosts (good read by the way). He claims that there was a mission to kill Zarkawi before he ever got famous and it was called off due to red tape and underestimating his threat. They had a squad ready to assassinate him during the first weeks of the war, but chose not to do it.
    just like they chose not to guard the weapons depots or the borders or the etc etc

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    One thing is clear... You're dumber than I thought you were.

1. Bin laden still roaming free. Zarqawi lived for 3+ years in a war zone... At this pace bin laden will die of old age before we hold him accountable.

2. Iraq in a state of Civil War.

3. People in Iraq didn't know what they were voting for. Don't understand democracy at the point of a gun.

4. Halliburton got their no-bid contract due to Dick Cheney's involvement. Why aren't we letting Iraq choose who rebuilds their country? How about the $10 billion of missing US taxpayer money for this unnecessary clusterf*uck??
    Oh yeah, well, I think you are a big dumb dumbhead.

1. Wouldn't it be cool if we pop Bin Laden in October '06 right before the elections?

2. Granted Iraq is no place to take the kids for Summer Vacation. Some parts of Iraq, anyway. Most of it is getting to the business of business, just like happens everywhere in the world. The "civil war" would be greatly helped if the people of Iraq knew that we were going to stick it out. Insurgencies can't sustain themselves when they are not supported by the local popluation. The locals in Iraq are hedging their bets because of Patriots like Murtha and Kerry calling for us to quit the war.

3. Yeah, people in Iraq are just so dumb they can't possibly figure out that they were voting for. Sounds racist to me. Poor dumb Iraqis! BTW, at whose gun point are you referring too.

4. Halliburton must be the worst run corporation on the planet. No bid contracts are good. No profit contracts not so good. They're not making any money on the deal and their stock is not doing well.

I don't know about 10 billion missing dollars. Given the size of this particualr government project $10 billion seems to be low end of the spectrum. History being what it is I would suspect the number to be much higher. Hell, there was about that much missing from the Bid Dig in Boston.

One last thing. I'm dumb, but your like the dumbest ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Oh yeah, well, I think you are a big dumb dumbhead.

1. Wouldn't it be cool if we pop Bin Laden in October '06 right before the elections?

2. Granted Iraq is no place to take the kids for Summer Vacation. Some parts of Iraq, anyway. Most of it is getting to the business of business, just like happens everywhere in the world. The "civil war" would be greatly helped if the people of Iraq knew that we were going to stick it out. Insurgencies can't sustain themselves when they are not supported by the local popluation. The locals in Iraq are hedging their bets because of Patriots like Murtha and Kerry calling for us to quit the war.

3. Yeah, people in Iraq are just so dumb they can't possibly figure out that they were voting for. Sounds racist to me. Poor dumb Iraqis! BTW, at whose gun point are you referring too.

4. Halliburton must be the worst run corporation on the planet. No bid contracts are good. No profit contracts not so good. They're not making any money on the deal and their stock is not doing well.

I don't know about 10 billion missing dollars. Given the size of this particualr government project $10 billion seems to be low end of the spectrum. History being what it is I would suspect the number to be much higher. Hell, there was about that much missing from the Bid Dig in Boston.

One last thing. I'm dumb, but your like the dumbest ever.
    No halliburton is doing hooribly.
    Their stocks are only worth more than three timas as at the start of the war. Oh the Pain, oh the Suffering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast