Sports Break - Why won't Baseball Lance itself & strip WS titles?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Sports Break - Why won't Baseball Lance itself & strip WS titles?

My answer = It's not really about sport anymore, only overpriced live entertainment.
    Thank goodness the Olympics tries hard to stay credible! As every TRUE sport should.

What should baseball in this country do about titles earned through fraud?
    Opinions appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What should baseball in this country do about titles earned through fraud?
    Opinions appreciated.
    Not that this is necessarily the correct forum ... kind of a doping related question.

With that said, nothing really. If they took away titles for people cheating, no team could win a title ... assuming they really tested athletes and went to extremes to catch them. I personally don't think Armstrong should have been stripped of his titles, everybody was doping, there is virtually no evidence pointing to the fact that he was the only one, even going down the top 20, 30, 40+ riders.

Name a pro sport and the same could be said for it. The NFL would not be in existence today without PED's.

I would say it's all entertainment, because that's what sports are ... entertaining ... unless you are participating in it, then it's an activity.

The only difference is at the pro level they are being paid for it and performing at super high levels. Just because they are enhanced, doesn't make it any less of a sporting event.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    meh, gave up watching watch pro sports of all flavors. it's just show biz, not true athletics.

and you must be seriously naive to think that the Olympics are any better.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    meh, gave up watching watch pro sports of all flavors. it's just show biz, not true athletics.

At least at the Olympics they test every athlete, remove medals and ban countries for systematic abuse.

Pro sports in USA (and i presume elsewhere) is more Entertainment than Sport.

More like pro wrestling or roller derby than Sport.

Darling of The Lounge
    In general, humanity is innately corrupt.

Sport is just another tangible manifestation of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not a doping thread -
    in baseball, the Astros stealing signs and transmitting info to batter in real time. Other teams cheating in prior years.

Cheating when uncovered should result in disqualification or fair competition does not even get lip service. The honor of winning is non-existent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    In general, humanity is innately corrupt.

Sport is just another tangible manifestation of it.
    Given the lack of action against the team, the Baseball Commissioner's office (imho) is where the greater corruption lies.

Note: i really don't care about pro sports in usa, but just tired of politics dominating everything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post

Yep, this is about where I'm at. Grew up watching sports of all kinds, played sports through college, still followed sports in my 20s...then I just wasn't that interested. The cheating didn't help. But it was more a time thing - why spend 3+ hours watching an NFL game when I could be playing sports myself? Reading a book? Watching a good movie?

I was heavily into pro road cycling and cyclocross a few years ago as well. But now I find it harder and harder to find races online. And, I barely have time to ride with two young sons, much less watch.

I still feel the slightest hint of guilt. "I'm an American male! I like beer! I like sports! Shouldn't I be watching them?"

I've kinda gotten over being annoyed with the doping and cheating. I'm not really over the CTE issues that I think are far and away the worst in football. I even like European soccer...but the Champions League and all the league games are just so constant and never-ending that I can't be bothered much. Even a game recap is like 10 minutes at this point!

I enjoyed the last World Cup and I'm looking forward to the Euro Cup. But, at this point, I just would rather spend my time engaging in sports/exercise/activity myself, or with my family, than watching it. Still a bit shocked at how many folks are absolutely obsessed with pro sports but hey, that is their problem, not mine.

Opus was just napping
    Sign stealing in baseball has been around for eons, there has been talk all the way back to Thompson shot heard round the world that he knew what pitch was coming (1951).

The fact that the Astros made it an artform is what they are paying for.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    ^But isn't this similar to saying they've always doped in cycling & comparing drinking brandy to removing your blood and reinjecting it later? Or microdosing exotic designer drugs?

The sign stealing seems pretty advanced at this point.

Then again, I haven't ever stomached watching more than an inning of baseball, so it might make things more exciting! I still have no clue how there are that many MLB teams and enough revenue to pay the salaries those wild amounts. Even friends I have who used to play and used to watch a ton of games just don't have the time with young families. I don't know who is watching all these games.

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    ^But isn't this similar to saying they've always doped in cycling & comparing drinking brandy to removing your blood and reinjecting it later? Or microdosing exotic designer drugs?

The sign stealing seems pretty advanced at this point.

Then again, I haven't ever stomached watching more than an inning of baseball, so it might make things more exciting! I still have no clue how there are that many MLB teams and enough revenue to pay the salaries those wild amounts. Even friends I have who used to play and used to watch a ton of games just don't have the time with young families. I don't know who is watching all these games.
    Not an apples to apples comparison. The unwritten rules of baseball has always allowed runners at second and third base coaches to steal signs. It has always been up to the team pitching to switch up their signs often so that they couldn't count on their sign stealing. Every single MLB team has done this since the dawn of time.

To try to use your doping analogy, it would be like--Lance is fine if he dopes his own blood and the teams blood. But Lance isn't fine if he has an entire organization to dope the blood for him.

Again, the Astros (and soon the Red Sox) are getting hit for organizational cheating. Stealing signs in and of itself, isn't cheating in baseball's unwritten rules.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...