Statue of Liberty - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Those 1.9 billion acres include sizable national parks, wilderness, deserts, and Native American reservations-if you didn't just skim over what I posted you would have read 75% of the population live on just 66 million acres.
    Only 66 million acres? Look out Hong Kong, this place is an ant hill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Candidate for the ironic post of the year.
    *S/ironic/idiotic

*regex substitution command/syntax

Opus was just napping

So you're in favor of sending immigrants to a climate that can kill the unprepared six months out of the year?
    Dat dumb straw man creatin'
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Those 1.9 billion acres include sizable national parks, wilderness, deserts, and Native American reservations-if you didn't just skim over what I posted you would have read 75% of the population live on just 66 million acres.
    Thanks for proving my point

No reasonable person thinks space is the reason to violate our international treaties and laws and block refugees.
    "If we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment.”

-Robert Mueller

DBT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Breaking out the calculator, 80,000 spread over 66 million acres is just over 1/1000th of a person per acre. You've convinced me.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Dat dumb straw man creatin'
    Seem's fitt'n for the straw man.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    The mental gymnastics being displayed by the anti-immigrant crowd could win Olympic Gold.

The bottom line: if we simply granted asylum to the folks that deserved it, and allowed people awaiting hearings to simply walk free with appropriate monitoring, you'd barely notice their presence (other than the histrionics on Fox News). There simply aren't enough of them. It's like worrying that dumping a beer in a lake is going to get the fish drunk.

And even if you did notice them, immigrants from the south aren't bad neighbors. Those of us that actually live near them know that. It's the ones who learn about immigrants from Fox News that are afraid.
    In support of your "gymnastics" observation is the knots the GOP has tied themselves into by refusing to pass the Senate bipartisan approved 2013 Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill. Instead of making progress for the good of the nation, politics injected itself for the supposed good of the party.

Well it worked to elect Trump so go on ya (GOP) mate.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    Uh... speak for yourself. The entire point of my comment was that the numbers aren't material relative to the areas they are moving to. Last I checked, they weren't all moving to a single neighborhood
    That's this 80000. How about the next 80000 and the one after that, etc.

Are you saying this is the last 80000 we'll have to deal with?

I've lost track of the point you want to make. Sounds like you're saying it's a big country and no matter how many immigrants we take in, it doesn't matter.

But that can't be what you're saying. Can it?

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Riders View Post

I've lost track of the point you want to make. Sounds like you're saying it's a big country and no matter how many immigrants we take in, it doesn't matter.

Population growth was at an 80 year low this past year. As our population ages, has fewer children, immigration is going to be an important way to grow the economy and prosper rather than declining and shrinking. This is pretty easy stuff Jimbo
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Riders View Post

Sounds like you are deliberately misrepresenting what another poster wrote in order to provoke conflict.

You might want to read the rules as you continue to break them.
    "If we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment.”

-Robert Mueller

[REDACTED]
    Only about 140 million of the total acreage is developed for residential use; Alaska is 375 million acres of the total.

https://www.westernwatersheds.org/wa...r/article6.htm

Overview of Land Use in the United States-The U.S. has 2.3 billion acres of land. However, 375 million acres are in Alaska and not suitable for agricultural production. The land area of the lower 48 states is approximately 1.9 billion acres.

To put things in perspective, keep in mind that California is 103 million acres, Montana 94 million acres, Oregon 60 million acres and Maine 20 million acres.

Developed Land- Despite all the hand wringing over sprawl and urbanization, only 66 million acres are considered developed lands. This amounts to 3 percent of the land area in the U.S., yet this small land base is home to 75 percent of the population. In general, urban lands are nearly useless for biodiversity preservation. Furthermore, urbanized lands, once converted, usually do not shift to another use.

Rural Residential Land-This category comprises nearly all sprawl and subdivisions along with farmhouses scattered across the country The total acreage for rural residential is 73 million acres. Of this total, 44 million acres are lots of 10 or more acres.

Developed and rural residential make up 139 million acres, or 6.1 percent of total land area in the U.S. This amount of land is not insignificant until you consider that we planted more than 80 million acres of feeder corn and another 75 million acres of soybeans (95 percent of which are consumed by livestock, not tofu eaters) last year alone. These two crops affect more of the land area of the U.S. than all the urbanization, rural residential, highways, railroads, commercial centers, malls, industrial parks and golf courses combined.

Cropland- About 349 million acres in the U.S. are planted for crops. This is the equivalent of about four states the size of Montana. Four crops -- feeder corn (80 million acres), soybeans (75 million acres), alfalfa hay (61 million acres) and wheat (62 million acres) -- make up 80 percent of total crop acreage. All but wheat are primarily used to feed livestock.

The amount of land used to produce all vegetables in the U.S. is less than 3 million acres.

Range and Pasture Land- Some 788 million acres, or 41.4 percent of the U. S. excluding Alaska, are grazed by livestock. This is an area the size of 8.3 states the size of Montana. Grazed lands include rangeland, pasture and cropland pasture. More than 309 million acres of federal, state and other public lands are grazed by domestic livestock. Another 140 million acres are forested lands that are grazed.

Forest Land- Forest lands comprise 747 million acres. Of these lands, some 501 million acres are primarily forest (minus lands used for grazed forest and other special categories).
    I notice the part of the article you conveniently left out about how we could reduce our need for farmland if we ate less meat. But Americans love their meat and potatoes. Farms that produce fruits and vegetables for human consumption get next to nothing in government subsidies compared to the tremendous amounts cattle and dairy farmers receive.

Yes, farming is dirty. Lots of pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers. But even all that pales in comparison to the posionous cocktails homeowners throw on their lawns in order to have a showpiece lawn monoculture. Case in point is a friend who lives where there used to be farms all around him. He has a well and his water was always clean UNTIL the farms were sold to developers who built houses with large yards. After that, his water had elevated nitrogen levels which he has to filter out in order to make the water drinkable.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

[REDACTED]
    As you know, statistics can be manipulated - see my auto signature. So this 3% or 66 million acres you quote - what is considered "lived on"? Is a 1 acre manicured lawn considered populated? It's developed.

If that 3% is land which is covered by buildings, houses and cities, then yes, 3% is about right.

Most estimates have New Jersey and Rhode Island as 50-75% developed. However, if you only count "developed" as land that has a building or city on it, that figure would come to less than 10%.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    As you know, statistics can be manipulated - see my auto signature. So this 3% or 66 million acres you quote - what is considered "lived on"? Is a 1 acre manicured lawn considered populated? It's developed.

If that 3% is land which is covered by buildings, houses and cities, then yes, 3% is about right.

Most estimates have New Jersey and Rhode Island as 50-75% developed. However, if you only count "developed" as land that has a building or city on it, that figure would come to less than 10%.

2010 numbers-top 10 metro areas account for roughly 80 million pop on about 40 million acres based on the last two columns.

https://www.census.gov/dataviz/visua...ns/026/508.php

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    2010 numbers-top 10 metro areas account for roughly 80 million pop on about 40 million acres based on the last two columns.

Cool, that means there are over 1 Billions acres left empty.

Thanks for proving my point

-Robert Mueller

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    US population growth stagnate. Less than 1%. 80 year low

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...ic-stagnation/

No reasonable person thinks this is about space.

-Robert Mueller

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    US population growth stagnate. Less than 1%. 80 year low https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...ic-stagnation/
    From your article:

"2018 was a year of economic revival with historically low unemployment and rising wage growth"

It sounds like we are on the right path. Good news.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    From your article:

"2018 was a year of economic revival with historically low unemployment and rising wage growth"

It sounds like we are on the right path. Good news.
    Thanks, Obama.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    Thanks, Obama.
    We need to start being "conservative with the peoples resources" and elect a Democratic President.

photo rocket.png
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    We need to start being "conservative with the peoples resources" and elect a Democratic President.

photo rocket.png
    Wait a minute. The graph ends in 2028! It's only 2019. How can they be so sure spending will continue on the same curve? It also started upward curve in 2014 on Obama's watch. Misleading graph to make a political point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Wait a minute. The graph ends in 2028! It's only 2019. How can they be so sure spending will continue on the same curve?
    OK you don't trust me. I'm crushed. Now your turn --- the basis for the chart:

CBO Report: Spending Blasts Off
    Chris Edwards
    April 9, 2018

The Congressional Budget Office has released new projections for the federal budget.

If Congress makes no reforms, federal spending is expected to rise from $4.14 trillion this year to $7.05 trillion by 2028, as shown in the chart. The rise represents an annual average growth rate of 5.5 percent, substantially higher than the 4.0 percent expected nominal growth rate of the economy.

The spending increases are expected to push up federal deficits from $804 billion this year to $1.53 trillion by 2028, while jacking up federal debt held by the public from $15.7 trillion this year to $28.7 trillion by 2028.

President Trump wants new spending on a NASA moon mission, but spending on existing programs is already blasting off for unknown fiscal frontiers.

https://www.downsizinggovernment.org...pending-blasts

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    Thanks, Obama.
    ^This.

Unemployment at the start of Obama's tenure was nearly double the rate he left Dodgy Donnie with. And wage growth??

https://www.bls.gov/charts/employmen...yment-rate.htm

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/UNRATE/

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    OK you don't trust me. I'm crushed. Now your turn --- the basis for the chart:

CBO Report: Spending Blasts Off
    Chris Edwards
    April 9, 2018

The Congressional Budget Office has released new projections for the federal budget.

If Congress makes no reforms, federal spending is expected to rise from $4.14 trillion this year to $7.05 trillion by 2028, as shown in the chart. The rise represents an annual average growth rate of 5.5 percent, substantially higher than the 4.0 percent expected nominal growth rate of the economy.

The spending increases are expected to push up federal deficits from $804 billion this year to $1.53 trillion by 2028, while jacking up federal debt held by the public from $15.7 trillion this year to $28.7 trillion by 2028.

President Trump wants new spending on a NASA moon mission, but spending on existing programs is already blasting off for unknown fiscal frontiers.

https://www.downsizinggovernment.org...pending-blasts
    IOW, Trump or the new Democratic congress will not cut back on spending like Obama did, or economic growth won't keep up with the spending curve?

[REDACTED]

OK. But what about the other 240 million people who don't live in those areas?

RoadBikeReview Member
    IOW, Trump or the new Democratic congress will not cut back on spending like Obama did, or economic growth won't keep up with the spending curve?
    Targeted tax cuts and huge military outlays, one form of Reaganomics, has been proved to be bad economic practices. Bad economic practices only get worse when combined with poor cost/benefit polices, such as Homeland Security and Middle East meddling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wait a minute. The graph ends in 2028! It's only 2019. How can they be so sure spending will continue on the same curve? It also started upward curve in 2014 on Obama's watch. Misleading graph to make a political point.
    Judging by the little rocket by Trumps name, I'm sure the graph was made by someone fair and balanced.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast