stimulate consumption to help economy-stupid, stupid, stupid
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unlabeled

stimulate consumption to help economy-stupid, stupid, stupid

In the U.S. per capita solid wastes total 1600 lbs annually. We have 5% of the world's population, yet consume 24% of the energy. The average size of a new house has gone from 900 square feet in 1950 to 1500 s.f. in 1997, to 2300 s.f. now, while families have gotten smaller. We have about 30% of the worlds vehicles, and the collective fleet is the biggest and most inefficient on Earth. We have more clothes, more shoes, more food, more toys. Meanwhile, personal savings rate is at the lowest and personal debrt is at the highest in this century. Yet with all this consumption, happiness and contentment has steadily declined.

Both candidates want to stimulate consumerism. It is absurd to think that we can improve society in the United States by consuming more. I'd vote for any candidate who would say "You big fat self-absorbed pigs need to quit defining your life by what you buy."

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Continental
    In the U.S. per capita solid wastes total 1600 lbs annually. We have 5% of the world's population, yet consume 24% of the energy. The average size of a new house has gone from 900 square feet in 1950 to 1500 s.f. in 1997, to 2300 s.f. now, while families have gotten smaller. We have about 30% of the worlds vehicles, and the collective fleet is the biggest and most inefficient on Earth. We have more clothes, more shoes, more food, more toys. Meanwhile, personal savings rate is at the lowest and personal debrt is at the highest in this century. Yet with all this consumption, happiness and contentment has steadily declined.

Both candidates want to stimulate consumerism. It is absurd to think that we can improve society in the United States by consuming more. I'd vote for any candidate who would say "You big fat self-absorbed pigs need to quit defining your life by what you buy."
    I'm guessing that $1000 Bush put in our pockets is long gone for most people.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Jun 1999

economy?

What makes the economy run, creating jobs, which feed people, etc? What happens if people do not consume, therefore do not exchange money, which creates jobs...

Would you rather be unemployed but feel good that you're not wasting?

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by DougSloan
    What makes the economy run, creating jobs, which feed people, etc? What happens if people do not consume, therefore do not exchange money, which creates jobs...

People need to get a handle on what "disposable income" is. I see people making decent money that can't pay their bills and have huge debts. Maybe they should have waited on that big screen TV or those 10 DVDs they bought at Target last week.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Jan 2002

There is consumption. . .

. . .and then there is excessive consumption. Somewhere between the original poster's point and your strawman are people who earn and spend without accumulating needless waste and personal debt.

Jun 1999

economy

Quote Originally Posted by czardonic
    . . .and then there is excessive consumption. Somewhere between the original poster's point and your strawman are people who earn and spend without accumulating needless waste and personal debt.
    There's no strawman there, unless you don't believe that spending is what runs the economy. We're talking about the economy and what makes it run, not just consumption in a vacuum. If people reduce spending, what happens to the economy?

Now, there can be smart spending and smart consumption, depending upon choices you make, but that's still consumption. You can actually spend more money to get a dishwasher that uses less energy, for example, and replace your old energy hog dishwasher. That sort of consumption is actually smart on several levels -- creates jobs, tax consequences, and saves energy.

I don't know how personal debt got into the discussion. I didn't suggest that people go into debt to stimulate the economy.

Unlabeled

Fundemental problem with structure of the economy

You point out a basic problem with our economic structure. Employment and so-called prosperity require ever increasing consumption, yet ever increasing consumption is not sustainable. I find myself moving more and more towards the conclusion that there needs to be fundemental reforms in our economy. Free market capitilism needs to be more regulated and controlled. Wealth needs to be partially redistributed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Continental
    You point out a basic problem with our economic structure. Employment and so-called prosperity require ever increasing consumption, yet ever increasing consumption is not sustainable. I find myself moving more and more towards the conclusion that there needs to be fundemental reforms in our economy. Free market capitilism needs to be more regulated and controlled. Wealth needs to be partially redistributed.
    Thousands of years of human history says you are dead wrong.

Jan 2002
    There's no strawman there, unless you don't believe that spending is what runs the economy.
    What happens if people do not consume, therefore do not exchange money, which creates jobs...

Nobody needs to choose between unemployment and wasteful consumption. Trading up your dishwasher for a more efficient model is not wasteful consumption. A single person toting themselves around in an H2 is wasteful consumption. Which brings up another point about wasteful consumption: There is necessary consumption, and there is wasteful consumption. Not to mention wasteful consumption. But you also have to consider wasteful consumption. Did I mention wasteful consumption?

If you don't think that personal debt is germane to our economy. . .
    Last edited by czardonic; 10-14-2004 at 09:47 AM. Reason: sp

Jan 2002
    Did you study hisory in the same program that Bush got his degree from?

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthman_1

I for one would love to read your extrapolation on this sentence.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Jun 1999

Yale?

Yale or Harvard?

Jun 1999

wasteful?

I never suggested being wasteful, and I don't think anyone has. "Consumption" does not necessarily mean wasteful. You can consume without being wasteful. Doing nothing doesn't help the economy, though.

Jan 2002
    Yale home for clueless, rich little snots. I believe the proceeds from this operation are used to fund a top notch educational institution.

Jan 2002
    Gosh, I guess eveyone who suggested that people either consume or do nothing needs to reconsider their argument.

Jun 1999

oh, like...

Yale home for clueless, rich little snots.
    Like...Bill Clinton, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Joe Lieberman, Bob Woodward...

pretty big list http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Yal..._United_States

Jan 2002
    Yep, all those hateful Communists! A few of which earned their spot and appear to have taken advantage of the opportunity.

Jun 1999

of course!

Yep, all those hateful Communists! A few of which earned their spot and appear to have taken advantage of the opportunity.
    Liberals who attend Yale are geniuses. Conservatives are rich little snots. Is that how it works? Probably fits your world view in general, doesn't it?

Jan 2002

Could be a conicidence.

You were only able to list successful, articulate "liberals", and I only referred to one ignorant dunce who has failed at every endeavor that couldn't be bailed out by his father's rich buddies.

With the Radio On...

the last 100 says he's more correct than not

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002

Bob Woodward is dumb as owlsh!t. I bet he's

Liberals who attend Yale are geniuses. Conservatives are rich little snots. Is that how it works? Probably fits your world view in general, doesn't it?
    a legacy admission like Bush. Lieberman is only half-bright. Why people think he's such a sage is beyond me. He was probably -- sorry! -- a quota admission. That leaves Bill and Hillary who, whether you like 'em or not, you have to concede are bright enough to be legit Yalies, and poor enough to have been admitted on their own scholastic merits.

Just to set the record straight.

EDIT: Oh, and Kerry. Brains AND money. No doubt Yale slobbered over him.

Jun 1999

lots more

Quote Originally Posted by OldEdScott
    a legacy admission like Bush. Lieberman is only half-bright. Why people think he's such a sage is beyond me. He was probably -- sorry! -- a quota admission. That leaves Bill and Hillary who, whether you like 'em or not, you have to concede are bright enough to be legit Yalies, and poor enough to have been admitted on their own scholastic merits.

Just to set the record straight.
    Ok, still have lots more. Cheney is the genius Dr Evil, isn't he? Bush Sr, William Howard Taft, John Ashcroft (another genius Dr Evil, right?), a slew of Supreme Court justices, William Buckley (maybe the smartest man alive, if vocabulary is any measure)...

You think czar overplayed the stupid rich kid characterization?

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002

I deny Ashcroft is bright; never mind his policies, which

Ok, still have lots more. Cheney is the genius Dr Evil, isn't he? Bush Sr, William Howard Taft, John Ashcroft (another genius Dr Evil, right?), a slew of Supreme Court justices, William Buckley (maybe the smartest man alive, if vocabulary is any measure)...

You think czar overplayed the stupid rich kid characterization?
    isn't the issue, he just comes across as thick and ordinary. Frankly, I always thought he was a slow-witted boozer, till I learned he was a huge teetotaling Christer. The others I have no quarrel with.

I think czar's point is, there are TWO Yales: The Yale of legacy admissions where big bucks flow to the school in exchange for charitably admitting and giving degrees to the children of the ruling class, and the 'real' Yale. As he said: "I believe the proceeds from this operation [Legacy Yale] are used to fund a top notch educational institution."

Remember, I don't think Bush is stupid. But I guarantee you if his last name were Edscott and he was the son of redneck Kentuckians, he'd never have been admitted. And that is a fact.

Unlabeled

The history of consumption

More resources have been consumed by the United States since 1950 than were consumed by all of mankind who lived before 1950. There has not been thousands of years of ever-expanding consumerism. How could history say I'm dead wrong?

Seeking shades of grey
    Would that be the history where a few have controlled the resources and means of production of the masses? I rather think the historical norm is a glaring argument for wealth distribution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast