Tesla vs. BMW M5... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Motorator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclin Dan View Post
    I wonder how long it will be before you have to enter your credit card in to a slot at the charging station before it powers up, and they charge you for the power consumed. This "free electricity for electric cars" can't go on forever.
    The Supercharging network is being set up by Tesla and is to be free to their customers; non-Tesla EVs compatible with rapid charging would pay.

So when Elon Musk says it is free, he is speaking to his own customers for his cars.
    Beam me up, baby.

n00bsauce
    It's a great gimic but not sustainable. It still takes a half hour to give it enough charge for 150 miles - at normal speeds. Racing speeds would deplete the charge in minutes. The solar powered charging stations might be able to charge one S model a day. There's been a total of about 250 S models built. Not necessarily sold, but built. Really, there's no competition here. Not now and not in the forseeable future. I could race a Tesla from San Diego to Las Vegas in a Smart Car and beat it.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
    I have no desire to drive any electric car I grew up in a era when muscle cars still ruled our next door neighbors kid had a 70 Barracuda and the guy across the street had a 455 Trans Am. In high school I had a new 80' Z-28 and then in College a new 85 IROC-Z my last "fun" car was a new 95' Corvette I regrettably sold in 97' and have driven SUV's or 1 ton trucks since.

I've been lusting after a Challenger SRT8 since they came out or the Mustang 500 and now the Camaro ZL1 however all my play money went into a three month complete home remodel this summer keeping the wife happy with a new kitchen and bathrooms trumped me getting a hot car.

All the test I've read say the ZL1 Camaro is the real deal what didn't you like about it?

If you've never driven an electric sports and refuse to even try, then you aren't exactly qualified to say that a muscle car is "infinitesimally more fun than ANY electric car"

I would still prefer a IC sports car because the noise and shifting gears is all part of the appeal for me, but I was surprised at how fun the Telsa was

The ZL1 may be the real deal in terms of muscle cars, but to a sports car enthusiast it is too big, too heavy, too disconnected as the steering is over assisted and lifeless, it was claustrophobic inside with its tiny gun slit windows, and it wasn't as fast I was expecting.
    It was better than the Mustang I also drove though

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    If you've never driven an electric sports and refuse to even try, then you aren't exactly qualified to say that a muscle car is "infinitesimally more fun than ANY electric car"
    they have zero appeal to me if you think some hot rodded golf cart is fun for you then go for it, I'd rather take my money and buy some brutish beast of a car like this murdered out Z06

Life is too short to drive boring cars.

banned
    Jan 2011
    they have zero appeal to me if you think some hot rodded golf cart is fun for you then go for it, I'd rather take my money and buy some brutish beast of a car like this murdered out Z06

Life is too short to drive boring cars.

I don't care if they don't appeal to you, that was not the point

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mopho View Post

* like *
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Covfefe
    It's not quite that simple, there are many other factors involved in making a car perform well around a road course, not to mention it would depend on what kind of road course and the driver.
    While impressive, there is no evidence that it would "shred" an M5, it would likely be close though (assuming the Tesla doesn't overheat and shut down like the roadster I tested did). The Tesla is also over 400lbs heavier which is a lot of weight to move around and that presents tire and brake heat management issues.
    Of course there are other factors. I think we can assume in such as performance face off that the course and atmospheric conditions would be equal and the drivers would be of comparable skill.

I have no idea if such a comparative race or test between these two cars has been performed... hell you don't either. The virtually all of additional 400lbs is likely located within the car where it's most ideal for optimal handling. My bet would definitely be on the Tesla.
    Last edited by TerminatorX91; 10-10-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Of course there are other factors. I think we can assume in such as performance face off that the course and atmospheric conditions would be equal and the drivers would be of comparable skill.
    Right, but my point is that the design of a course might play into the strengths of one car over the other. For example, a course with a long straight would benefit the M5 since as you can see in the video by 100mph it was pulling on the Model S which also tops out at only 130mph. Or if the course is all really tight corners with short straights, the torque and instant response of the S would give it an advantage pulling out of corners
    You're also not taking into consideration how good the brakes are or aren't on the S, or the tires. Perhaps the S requires a certain driving style for which the "comparably skilled driver" is unfamiliar with in order to get the most out of it.

The extra 400lbs may be in an optimal location for the car to change direction quickly, but you still have to slow down that weight, which as I pointed out earlier creates heat management issues on the brakes and tires

I have no idea if such a comparative race or test between these two cars has been performed... hell you don't either.
    Actually you have no idea of what I do or don't know regarding such a test, I make a living doing work for car magazines

Motorator

I have no idea if such a comparative race or test between these two cars has been performed... hell you don't either. The virtually all of additional 400lbs is likely located within the car where it's most ideal for optimal handling. My bet would definitely be on the Tesla.
    Like the Tesla, my Volt's battery is located low and center and it does feel firmly planted on the road. It is especially apparent on twisty, rolling kinds of roads such as Honey Run in Chico CA where other cars at speed would have their drivers fighting to keep the car from flying out of control. One other plus factor - electrics like the Tesla and Volt can be driven with regenerative braking which scrubs down the speed when you take you foot off the accelerator. What this means is, blasting down a road like Honey Run can be done mostly by modulating the accelerator pedal with braking kept at a minimum. It's something better to be experienced than can be related in words, but let's just say it's a total gas.
    Beam me up, baby.

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsqueak View Post
    Not really. But then again I think the need to have a 500 HP car as your everyday driver is "mind-boggling".

I'm not into cars or track racing. My commute is 20 miles round-trip, and I drive over 100 miles MAYBE once every couple of months.

I think an electric car would be ideal for my situation. Why pay for gas and performance that you don't need?

I don't need a 200 or 300 HP car. I'm sure many people are in the same boat as me.

I wish there were more electric cars that were like standard sedans (i.e. don't look like weirdo hippiemobiles) and cost about the equivalent of a sedan as well... right now, at least in my mind, the cost differential makes electric cars unappealing.
    There's actually quite a few hybrid electrics that are virtually identical in styling to their regular sedan siblings. In fact most hybrid electrics are common sedans. Now, if you mean true total electrics it's because they are fairly expensive specialty cars and those have always started out as coupes or sports cars rather than sedans.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

Mel Erickson

Motorator
    Electrics also have the benefit of regenerative braking which good drivers quickly learn how to use to maximize the car's ability to fly from point A to B in as little time as possible.
    Beam me up, baby.

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by Starliner View Post
    Electrics also have the benefit of regenerative braking which good drivers quickly learn how to use to maximize the car's ability to fly from point A to B in as little time as possible.
    And flying from point A to B gives a range of maybe 50 miles. Point A and B better be damn close and the driver better have a hotel reservation. Really, all electric cars right now are either short range commuters where they could be plugged in at either end or very short trip thrill sleds like the Tesla. They don't fit most peoples needs, pocketbooks or trip their motoring senses. I hope and am even somewhat confident they will get better, less expensive and less niche vehicles but it will take awhile. Right now none of them would make or have made Top Gears Cool Wall. In fact, Tesla sued Top Gear and lost twice.
    Last edited by Mel Erickson; 10-10-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Mel Erickson

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Did he try to race? I beat a ferrari off the line with my Lexus RX45h off the line. Of course, I stepped on it, and he didn't. Techically, I beat him ;)
    I remember at 16 beating a Ferrari in my grandmothers Chevy Cavalier missing a muffler in similar fashion.

Hey it sounded fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    A coworker rolled up with the new Model S last week. The M5 is a dime a dozen compared to the Model S.

With today's gas prices lots of Leafs and Volts are selling them and they seem quite common. The Plug-In Prius is also a good option.

The all-out sports cars are neat, but most owners by them for there image and never drive them for real. What are you going to do on the street? In autocross, the Corvette is not for the worst drivers probably because it is a mid-lifer car. That does not mean that there are good Corvette drives out there, just as a course worker you are going to picking up a lot of cones after the Corvettes go by.
    Last edited by Killroy; 10-10-2012 at 08:13 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsqueak View Post
    Not really. But then again I think the need to have a 500 HP car as your everyday driver is "mind-boggling".
    Isn't that what makes America great that you have the choice to drive a 500 HP beast or if you prefer a electric car.

Covfefe

This what you get for trying to have a discussion with her/him/it. Now you know.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Covfefe
    I love freedom of expression. The fact that freedom of expression allows morons and douche bags to show themselves for who they really are is a huge bonus.

Cowboy up
    Built in Fremont, California.

"While driving a Model S with the biggest available battery pack ó 85 kilowatt-hours ó on a restrained run through Northern California wine country, I was able to wring 300.1 miles from a single charge. The E.P.A.ís rating for equivalent gasoline miles per gallon is 88 m.p.g.e. in town and 90 on the highway, with a 265-mile range."

Most importantly, the audio system goes to 11.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/a...pagewanted=all

A test of the range and charging.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/a...he-future.html

Hybrids vs. battery electric
    Does $5 gas = buy a hybrid or electric car? A cost/benefit analysis [Updated] - latimes.com

Last edited by Art853; 10-11-2012 at 09:52 AM.

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    Isn't that what makes America great that you have the choice to drive a 500 HP beast or if you prefer a electric car.
    I'm pretty sure in most every country (outside of NK and a few others) people have the right to drive whatever they want, be it electric or gas-guzzler.

Unless I missed the part of the constitution that ensures "freedom of automobile expression", a uniquely American right I'm told.

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by Art853 View Post
    Built in Fremont, California.

"While driving a Model S with the biggest available battery pack ó 85 kilowatt-hours ó on a restrained run through Northern California wine country, I was able to wring 300.1 miles from a single charge. The E.P.A.ís rating for equivalent gasoline miles per gallon is 88 m.p.g.e. in town and 90 on the highway, with a 265-mile range."

Most importantly, the audio system goes to 11.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/a...pagewanted=all

A test of the range and charging.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/a...he-future.html

Hybrids vs. battery electric
    Does $5 gas = buy a hybrid or electric car? A cost/benefit analysis [Updated] - latimes.com

Point of disclosure: I'm working on earning a second industrial design degree in transportation/automobile design (I already have a product design degree) at Art Center College of Design. At least half of all designers working in car design studios and about 2/3 of car studio heads in the entire world are Art Center graduates. Franz Von Holzhausen, Teslaís chief of design is one of them. If there is one car company design studio I'd like to work for it would be Tesla's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Point of disclosure: I'm working on earning a second industrial design degree in transportation/automobile design (I already have a product design degree) at Art Center College of Design. At least half of all designers working in car design studios and about 2/3 of car studio heads in the entire world are Art Center graduates. Franz Von Holzhausen, Teslaís chief of design is one of them. If there is one car company design studio I'd like to work for it would be Tesla's.

My friend went to Art Center and I toured it and it is awesome.

The nice thing about electrics is that there are a lot more design freedoms as you can see in the Model S "Fronk" and the Model X.

People wonder 'Why electrics?'. Its like filling up with $0.75/gas and the gas station is at your home home.

Model X and its huge Fronk.
    Last edited by Killroy; 10-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.

banned
    Jan 2011

n00bsauce
    But your gas "tank" is only three gallons and the gas "pump" fills at the rate of a gallon every 2.5 hours.

Mel Erickson

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    But your gas "tank" is only three gallons and the gas "pump" fills at the rate of a gallon every 2.5 hours.

To be specifically fair though that three gallons of "gas" is enough to drive 280 miles and the refill rate ranges from 3.7 hours to 20 minutes per gallon depending on the type of "gas pump".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    Valid point.
    Counter point:
    ~90% of cars are driven sit for 23 hours a day. Most people already have a gas car and can keep it for road trips. What self real cyclist only has one bike?

Someone post the little green man youtube.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast