Tesla vs. BMW M5... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    To be specifically fair though that three gallons of "gas" is enough to drive 280 miles and the refill rate ranges from 3.7 hours to 20 minutes per gallon depending on the type of "gas pump".
    Not sure what all electric car you're referring to, the Tesla? I was using the Leaf. 70 miles on a full charge at 55mph. This was kind of an average between ideal (138 mi. @ 68 degrees and steady 38mph, air conditioning off) and worst case (47 mi. @ 86 degrees and stop and go 6mph with air conditioning on). The Leaf is a mass produced car that many people can afford vs. the Tesla. Kinda looking at the real world of all electric vehicles today. It takes 8 hours to fully recharge a Leaf using 240v. Using 120v the leaf can regain 5 miles of range per hour.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    Not sure what all electric car you're referring to, the Tesla? I was using the Leaf. 70 miles on a full charge at 55mph. This was kind of an average between ideal (138 mi. @ 68 degrees and steady 38mph, air conditioning off) and worst case (47 mi. @ 86 degrees and stop and go 6mph with air conditioning on). The Leaf is a mass produced car that many people can afford vs. the Tesla. Kinda looking at the real world of all electric vehicles today. It takes 8 hours to fully recharge a Leaf using 240v. Using 120v the leaf can regain 5 miles of range per hour.
    I'm specifically referring to the Tesla Model S.

$40K and up is way too rich for me now but in the SoCal version of the real world lots of people can and do buy buy cars that cost at least $40K and well in excess of that. Hell, at Art Center most of the faculty and a significant slice of the students drive cars that cost at least that much... And speaking of the BMW M5, I have 20-something classmate at Art Center this term who has an M5 as an everyday driver.

Also, Elan Musk has made it clear that Tesla is planning on developing comparatively more affordable mass produced models in a few years.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

n00bsauce
    Chevy's trying to sell a 40k car for 25k and can't get any takers. They have to improve range and recharge time a whole lot more and build them for a whole lot less before they'll be a viable option to the ICE.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Covfefe
    Chevy's trying to sell a 40k car for 25k and can't get any takers.
    Isn't that the case for all Chevy cars models?
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Motorator
    Chevy's trying to sell a 40k car for 25k and can't get any takers. They have to improve range and recharge time a whole lot more and build them for a whole lot less before they'll be a viable option to the ICE.

Hold on there pal - if you are talking about the Volt, you're mistaken - and tell us: where is this $25k Volt being sold. The LEAF which you earlier called 'a mass produced car that many people can afford' costs not much less. Sales numbers of the LEAF are terribly disappointing while sales of the 'no takers' Volt, despite constant media negative spinjobs, are on the upswing and haven't come close to peaking.

The EV market is in its infancy but the continued success of the Volt will drive battery technology forward as more competitors come out with their own versions of plug-ins. The Volt is real, but you haven't seen nuthin yet.
    Beam me up, baby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    While the Volt is no Camry (@ $15+k more, how could it be?), it is selling fairly well.

Chevrolet Volt Sales Redefine 'Failure' - Forbes
    CŰte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Not brash at all. Common sense tells me it's true.

All of the batteries (very effective ballast) are arrayed down close the rocker panel level between the front and rear wheels.

"The Teslaís electric motor sits within the profile of the rear wheels, and the battery, just 10cm (4in) thick, sits under the cabin. So with the exception of the suspension, the Teslaís mechanical package is flat. They call it ďthe skateboardĒ, and it creates design and dynamic advantages, meaning future electric sports cars can have wild styling. Tesla design chief Franz von Holzhausen made the Model S conventional, however, fearing that a switch simultaneously to a radical new drivetrain and a radical look might be too much for some".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I'd like to see a long race between the BMW and Tesla in Minnesota. In January.

Covfefe
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I'd like to see a long race between the BMW and Tesla in Minnesota. In January.
    I wouldn't like to see anything for long in Minnesota in January.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123