Tesla vs. BMW M5...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Motorator

Tesla vs. BMW M5...

The pure electric (no on board gas engine to extend range) Tesla S sedan vs. the BMW M5 in a zero-100mph drag race. Electrics have a quick burst of power and have been known to smoke standard cars suckered into stoplight duels.

But an M5 ain't no standard car......

Beam me up, baby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Check youtube. Telsa Model S beats the M5. I would try to post it, but I'm having a hard time.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

banned
    Jan 2011
    I beat a Tesla in a stop light dual with my car a couple of weeks ago

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    I beat a Tesla in a stop light dual with my car a couple of weeks ago

Proof? It's like me saying "I beat an M5 on my SS, going uphill."
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Proof? It's like me saying "I beat an M5 on my SS, going uphill."
    Of course I don't have proof, it wasn't something I planned. But my car is a Caterham 7 that does 0-60 in 3.8s which is enough to beat a Tesla

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Did he try to race? I beat a ferrari off the line with my Lexus RX45h off the line. Of course, I stepped on it, and he didn't. Techically, I beat him ;)
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Anphaque II
    Quote Originally Posted by Starliner View Post
    The pure electric (no on board gas engine to extend range) Tesla S sedan vs. the BMW M5 in a zero-100mph drag race. Electrics have a quick burst of power and have been known to smoke standard cars suckered into stoplight duels.

But an M5 ain't no standard car......

I wonder how the Tesla would do in a race from, say, San Diego to Las Vegas?

Would they have that long of a charge?
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Did he try to race? I beat a ferrari off the line with my Lexus RX45h off the line. Of course, I stepped on it, and he didn't. Techically, I beat him ;)

Yup, he took off first leaving rubber as he went, I caught and passed him.
    1200lbs+205hp= quick off the line

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    I wonder how the Tesla would do in a race from, say, San Diego to Las Vegas?

Would they have that long of a charge?
    The Tesla would lose. It's range is ~250 mi., and that's at normal speeds. Although the M5 only gets about 13mpg and has a range at normal driving speeds of about 215 miles it can stop and refuel in minutes whereas the Tesla takes hours. It's about 325 miles from San Diego to Las Vegas. Both would have to stop and refuel more than once at race speeds over 100mph.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    The Tesla would lose. It's range is ~250 mi., and that's at normal speeds. Although the M5 only gets about 13mpg and has a range at normal driving speeds of about 215 miles it can stop and refuel in minutes whereas the Tesla takes hours. It's about 325 miles from San Diego to Las Vegas. Both would have to stop and refuel more than once at race speeds over 100mph.
    My 2008 M5 got 2.7 MPG at the track last time we were out there =0

What the what???
    Lousy 1%ers and their toys!

Sorry, you posted in PO so I felt obligated...
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Milk was a bad choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclin Dan View Post
    My 2008 M5 got 2.7 MPG at the track last time we were out there =0
    Dayum. And I thought my F150 was bad...

Although, if you factor in gas as just part of the cost of having that much fun, I'm sure it's well worth it.

Motorator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    Maybe, but maybe not - Tesla's network of supercharging stations could make things interesting. At the least, the driver of the Tesla would still have all his money in his wallet when he arrives in Vegas; not so for the M5 driver -

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Beam me up, baby.

Covfefe
    The Model S would absolutely shred the M5 on a 1.5-mile winding road course.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

Motorator
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    The Model S would absolutely shred the M5 on a 1.5-mile winding road course.
    Wow, that's pretty brash of you to say, and just might be true. Tesla's center of gravity is very low and centered so it has the right setup for carving up the twisties.
    Beam me up, baby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    If an M5 cannot beat Tesla, it must be Obama's fault.

Covfefe
    Wow, that's pretty brash of you to say, and just might be true. Tesla's center of gravity is very low and centered so it has the right setup for carving up the twisties.
    Not brash at all. Common sense tells me it's true.

All of the batteries (very effective ballast) are arrayed down close the rocker panel level between the front and rear wheels.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by erj549 View Post
    Dayum. And I thought my F150 was bad...

Although, if you factor in gas as just part of the cost of having that much fun, I'm sure it's well worth it.
    Yeah...it usually gets about 14 during regular driving...the 2.7 was out at Miller Motorsports Park for a track day. Went through a set of tires as well

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Maybe, but maybe not - Tesla's network of supercharging stations could make things interesting. At the least, the driver of the Tesla would still have all his money in his wallet when he arrives in Vegas; not so for the M5 driver -

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

I wonder how long it will be before you have to enter your credit card in to a slot at the charging station before it powers up, and they charge you for the power consumed. This "free electricity for electric cars" can't go on forever.

banned
    Why anyone would want a electric automobile over a internal combustion engine is mind-boggling.

For $100K you could get a 2013 ZL1 and a 1969 Z28 infinitesimally more fun than ANY electric car.

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Not brash at all. Common sense tells me it's true.

All of the batteries (very effective ballast) are arrayed down close the rocker panel level between the front and rear wheels.

It's not quite that simple, there are many other factors involved in making a car perform well around a road course, not to mention it would depend on what kind of road course and the driver.
    While impressive, there is no evidence that it would "shred" an M5, it would likely be close though (assuming the Tesla doesn't overheat and shut down like the roadster I tested did). The Tesla is also over 400lbs heavier which is a lot of weight to move around and that presents tire and brake heat management issues.

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
    Why anyone would want a electric automobile over a internal combustion engine is mind-boggling.

For $100K you could get a 2013 ZL1 and a 1969 Z28 infinitesimally more fun than ANY electric car.
    First off, the model S is a performance sedan which is always going to be a compromised package in the fun factor department. At the same time those Camaros are compromised in the comfort and practicality departments compared to the S.
    And have you ever driven an electric performance car? I have driven the Tesla Roadster quite a bit over mountain roads and it was surprisingly fun. The torque and power delivery really put you in the seat too.

BTW, I just happened to drive a 2013 ZL1 Camaro yesterday at the track and I can't say I was all that impressed with it.

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
    Not really. But then again I think the need to have a 500 HP car as your everyday driver is "mind-boggling".

I'm not into cars or track racing. My commute is 20 miles round-trip, and I drive over 100 miles MAYBE once every couple of months.

I think an electric car would be ideal for my situation. Why pay for gas and performance that you don't need?

I don't need a 200 or 300 HP car. I'm sure many people are in the same boat as me.

I wish there were more electric cars that were like standard sedans (i.e. don't look like weirdo hippiemobiles) and cost about the equivalent of a sedan as well... right now, at least in my mind, the cost differential makes electric cars unappealing.
    Last edited by mcsqueak; 10-10-2012 at 09:21 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The thing I don't understand is why don't the electric/hybrid cars generate their own power through wheel rotation. My hybrid Lexus 450h only generates power for the batteries when the brakes are applied. I'm sure most of us have seen or used those generators that you use on your bike that light up the bike light. I'm surprised something like that hasn't been implemented on an electric/hybrid vehicle.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    And have you ever driven an electric performance car?

I have no desire to drive any electric car I grew up in a era when muscle cars still ruled our next door neighbors kid had a 70 Barracuda and the guy across the street had a 455 Trans Am. In high school I had a new 80' Z-28 and then in College a new 85 IROC-Z my last "fun" car was a new 95' Corvette I regrettably sold in 97' and have driven SUV's or 1 ton trucks since.

I've been lusting after a Challenger SRT8 since they came out or the Mustang 500 and now the Camaro ZL1 however all my play money went into a three month complete home remodel this summer keeping the wife happy with a new kitchen and bathrooms trumped me getting a hot car.

All the test I've read say the ZL1 Camaro is the real deal what didn't you like about it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast