things that make you go "hmmmmmmm"
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    off the back
    Reputation: rufus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,798

    things that make you go "hmmmmmmm"

    "The National Government will regard it as its first and foremost duty to revive in the nation the spirit of unity and cooperation. It will preserve and defend those basic principles on which our nation has been built. It regards Christianity as the foundation of our national morality, and the family as the basis of national life ... "

    Adolph Hitler, My New World Order,
    Proclamation to the German Nation at Berlin, February 1, 1933

  2. #2
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,639
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    "The National Government will regard it as its first and foremost duty to revive in the nation the spirit of unity and cooperation. It will preserve and defend those basic principles on which our nation has been built. It regards Christianity as the foundation of our national morality, and the family as the basis of national life ... "

    Adolph Hitler, My New World Order,
    Proclamation to the German Nation at Berlin, February 1, 1933
    Maybe the red states would have elected him today...some more quotes:


    "How fortunate for leaders that men do not think."
    - Adolf Hitler

    "We are all proud that through God's powerful aid, we have become once more true Germans"
    - Adolf Hitler

    "It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge"
    - Adolf Hitler

    "The world will not help, the people must help themselves. Its own strength is the source of life. That strength the Almighty has given us to use; that in it and through it, we may wage the battle of our life The others in the past years have not had the blessing of the Almighty - of Him who in the last resort, whatever man may do, holds in His hands the final decision. Lord God, let us never hesitate or play the coward"
    - Adolf Hitler

    "The broad masses of a population are more amenable to the appeal of rhetoric than to any other force."
    - Adolph Hitler

    "The leader of genius must have the ability to make different opponents appear as if they belonged to one category."
    - Adolph Hitler

    "The victor will never be asked if he told the truth."
    - Adolph Hitler

    "Who says I am not under the special protection of God?"
    - Adolph Hitler
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Posts
    3,567

    ok

    "Sometimes I think the environment in which we operate is entirely too secular. The fact that we have freedom of religion doesn't mean we need to try to have freedom from religion. It doesn't mean that those of us who have faith shouldn't frankly admit that we are animated by the faith, that we try to live by it, and that it does affect what we feel, what we think, and what we do."

    William Jefferson Clinton


    "The free exercise of religion has been called the first freedom, that which originally sparked the development of the full range of the Bill of Rights. Our Founders cared a lot about religion. And one of the reasons they worked so hard to get the first amendment into the Bill of Rights at the head of the class is that they well understood what could happen to this country, how both religion and Government could be perverted if there were not some space created and some protection provided. They knew that religion helps to give our people the character without which a democracy cannot survive. They knew that there needed to be a space of freedom between Government and people of faith that otherwise Government might usurp."

    William Jefferson Clinton


    "Let me say, first of all, you have never found me criticizing evangelical Christians. I have welcomed the involvement in our political system of all people and especially people of faith. I have bent over backwards as a Governor and as a President to respect the religious convictions of all Americans. I have strong religious convictions myself."

    William Jefferson Clinton

    "I share the concern and frustration that many Americans feel about situations where the protections accorded by the First Amendment are not recognized or understood. This problem has manifested itself in our Nation's public schools. It appears that some school officials, teachers and parents have assumed that religious expression of any type is either inappropriate, or forbidden altogether, in public schools.

    "As our courts have reaffirmed, however, nothing in the First Amendment converts our public schools into religion-free zones, or requires all religious expression to be left behind at the schoolhouse door. While the government may not use schools to coerce the consciences of our students, or to convey official endorsement of religion, the government's schools also may not discriminate against private religious expression during the school day.

    "I have been advised by the Department of Justice and the Department of Education that the First Amendment permits -- and protects -- a greater degree of religious expression in public schools than many Americans may now understand."

    William Jefferson Clinton

  4. #4
    OES
    OES is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    14,484

    Man, that Clinton fellow sounds like

    Quote Originally Posted by DougSloan
    "Sometimes I think the environment in which we operate is entirely too secular. The fact that we have freedom of religion doesn't mean we need to try to have freedom from religion. It doesn't mean that those of us who have faith shouldn't frankly admit that we are animated by the faith, that we try to live by it, and that it does affect what we feel, what we think, and what we do."

    William Jefferson Clinton


    "The free exercise of religion has been called the first freedom, that which originally sparked the development of the full range of the Bill of Rights. Our Founders cared a lot about religion. And one of the reasons they worked so hard to get the first amendment into the Bill of Rights at the head of the class is that they well understood what could happen to this country, how both religion and Government could be perverted if there were not some space created and some protection provided. They knew that religion helps to give our people the character without which a democracy cannot survive. They knew that there needed to be a space of freedom between Government and people of faith that otherwise Government might usurp."

    William Jefferson Clinton


    "Let me say, first of all, you have never found me criticizing evangelical Christians. I have welcomed the involvement in our political system of all people and especially people of faith. I have bent over backwards as a Governor and as a President to respect the religious convictions of all Americans. I have strong religious convictions myself."

    William Jefferson Clinton

    "I share the concern and frustration that many Americans feel about situations where the protections accorded by the First Amendment are not recognized or understood. This problem has manifested itself in our Nation's public schools. It appears that some school officials, teachers and parents have assumed that religious expression of any type is either inappropriate, or forbidden altogether, in public schools.

    "As our courts have reaffirmed, however, nothing in the First Amendment converts our public schools into religion-free zones, or requires all religious expression to be left behind at the schoolhouse door. While the government may not use schools to coerce the consciences of our students, or to convey official endorsement of religion, the government's schools also may not discriminate against private religious expression during the school day.

    "I have been advised by the Department of Justice and the Department of Education that the First Amendment permits -- and protects -- a greater degree of religious expression in public schools than many Americans may now understand."

    William Jefferson Clinton
    one smart cookie.

  5. #5
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,639
    Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive. -Bugs Bunny.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  6. #6
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,639
    Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.
    --Josef Stalin

    Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either.
    --Gore Vidal
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  7. #7
    Rep *****.
    Reputation: firstrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    9,795
    "The balanced budget amendment is, in the first place, bad economics."
    William Jefferson Clinton

    "Probably there are people in this room still mad at me at that budget because you think I raised your taxes too much. It might surprise you to know that I think I raised them too much, too."
    William Jefferson Clinton

    "We can't be so fixed on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans"
    William Jefferson Clinton

    "I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president."
    Hillary Clinton

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PdxMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,524
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEdScott
    one smart cookie.
    Dang. I miss complete, intelligent sentences from the White House.

  9. #9
    Palm trees & sunshine!
    Reputation: KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24,200
    Quote Originally Posted by DougSloan
    "Sometimes I think the environment in which we operate is entirely too secular. The fact that we have freedom of religion doesn't mean we need to try to have freedom from religion. It doesn't mean that those of us who have faith shouldn't frankly admit that we are animated by the faith, that we try to live by it, and that it does affect what we feel, what we think, and what we do."

    William Jefferson Clinton


    "The free exercise of religion has been called the first freedom, that which originally sparked the development of the full range of the Bill of Rights. Our Founders cared a lot about religion. And one of the reasons they worked so hard to get the first amendment into the Bill of Rights at the head of the class is that they well understood what could happen to this country, how both religion and Government could be perverted if there were not some space created and some protection provided. They knew that religion helps to give our people the character without which a democracy cannot survive. They knew that there needed to be a space of freedom between Government and people of faith that otherwise Government might usurp."

    William Jefferson Clinton


    "Let me say, first of all, you have never found me criticizing evangelical Christians. I have welcomed the involvement in our political system of all people and especially people of faith. I have bent over backwards as a Governor and as a President to respect the religious convictions of all Americans. I have strong religious convictions myself."

    William Jefferson Clinton

    "I share the concern and frustration that many Americans feel about situations where the protections accorded by the First Amendment are not recognized or understood. This problem has manifested itself in our Nation's public schools. It appears that some school officials, teachers and parents have assumed that religious expression of any type is either inappropriate, or forbidden altogether, in public schools.

    "As our courts have reaffirmed, however, nothing in the First Amendment converts our public schools into religion-free zones, or requires all religious expression to be left behind at the schoolhouse door. While the government may not use schools to coerce the consciences of our students, or to convey official endorsement of religion, the government's schools also may not discriminate against private religious expression during the school day.

    "I have been advised by the Department of Justice and the Department of Education that the First Amendment permits -- and protects -- a greater degree of religious expression in public schools than many Americans may now understand."

    William Jefferson Clinton
    Nothing wrong with that at all.

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,048

    That's the most...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive. -Bugs Bunny.
    ...intelligent things I've read here yet.
    Charismatic Icon Animal Man

  11. #11
    AJS
    AJS is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,915

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    "Who says I am not under the special protection of God?"
    - Adolph Hitler
    ~ Hitler slaughtered six million. George Bush only killed nine thousand or so in Iraq and many fewer in Afghanistan. Hardly a fair comparison.
    ~ Hitler rounded up and killed homosexuals. George Bush only denies them the right to marry. Again, no comparison.
    ~ Hitler rounded up and killed those with physical or mental infirmities. George Bush only cut their medical benefits. No comparison.
    ~ Hitler invaded his neighbors and overthrew their governments. George Bush only invaded and overthrew the governments of two countries, and they were not neighbors. No comparison.
    ~ Adolph Hitler believed in a "master race." George Bush believes in a master religion. No comparison.
    ~ Adolph Hitler was an eloquent and persuasive madman. George Bush is neither eloquent nor persuasive. No comparison
    ~ Adolph Hitler's government was in tight control of its citizens. George Bush has only limited our right to privacy, free speech, and access to lawyers.
    ~ Adolph Hitler demonized Jews. George Bush only demonized Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein (with the leaders of Syria, Iran, and North Korea held in abeyance). No comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,639
    Quote Originally Posted by AJS
    ~ Adolph Hitler demonized Jews. George Bush only demonized Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein (with the leaders of Syria, Iran, and North Korea held in abeyance). No comparison.
    He did succeed with this for the most part. Practicioners of Islam and Arabs in general are now indelibly branded as terrorists in the minds of most Americans.
    "The leader of genius must have the ability to make different opponents appear as if they belonged to one category."
    - Adolph Hitler
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  13. #13
    off the back
    Reputation: rufus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,798
    as usual, doug catches on to one part of the original posting, that of religion, and completely misses the whole point.

  14. #14
    AJS
    AJS is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,915

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    as usual, doug catches on to one part of the original posting, that of religion, and completely misses the whole point.
    Sloan never misses the point out of "ignorance" - he conveniently ignores it by intention, just as the majority of the German citizenry did in the 1930's.

  15. #15
    Seeking shades of grey
    Reputation: Duane Gran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMark
    Dang. I miss complete, intelligent sentences from the White House.
    Sigh. So do I. Like him or not, watching Clinton reason and speak on his feet during his Presidency was awe inspiring.

  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Posts
    3,567

    ok, then egicate me

    Wasn't a signicant part of the point that since Hitler was openly religious (at least professed to be), and because Bush is openly religious, then Bush must be like Hitler? Isn't that the reasoning suggested here? Aside from being logically fallacious, my point in showing the Clinton quotes was that either A) Clinton is like Hitler, too; or B) being openly religious does not make one like Hitler. Which is it?

  17. #17
    off the back
    Reputation: rufus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,798
    the "point" was how eeerily similar the words of hitler were to the words used by bush and his spokespeople in the days following the election. the calls for unity and cooperation, the evoking of the "basic values that our country was founded upon". the big picture, not just some trifling reference to "christianity".

    and how easily the best intentions of good, honest christian people can be subverted for despicable means by those who have an agenda to do so. in other words, the american people have a duty to be vigilant to those who would harm the structural foundations of our democracy, both from without and from within. democracy and freedom requires eternal vigilance.

  18. #18
    Every little counts...
    Reputation: Spunout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,924
    Read Clinton's quotes again. He is a liberal, advocating freedom of religion. Not establishment of a state religion, or that the state endorses morals put forward by one religion.


    ~ Adolph Hitler was an eloquent and persuasive madman. George Bush is neither eloquent nor persuasive. No comparison
    And I will support your claim that George is not like Hitler.

    Quote Originally Posted by DougSloan
    Wasn't a signicant part of the point that since Hitler was openly religious (at least professed to be), and because Bush is openly religious, then Bush must be like Hitler? Isn't that the reasoning suggested here? Aside from being logically fallacious, my point in showing the Clinton quotes was that either A) Clinton is like Hitler, too; or B) being openly religious does not make one like Hitler. Which is it?

  19. #19
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,639
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    the "point" was how eeerily similar the words of hitler were to the words used by bush and his spokespeople in the days following the election. the calls for unity and cooperation, the evoking of the "basic values that our country was founded upon". the big picture, not just some trifling reference to "christianity".

    and how easily the best intentions of good, honest christian people can be subverted for despicable means by those who have an agenda to do so. in other words, the american people have a duty to be vigilant to those who would harm the structural foundations of our democracy, both from without and from within. democracy and freedom requires eternal vigilance.
    Exactly...Doug seems to shy away from the many similarities between the methods that Bush shares with Hitler to convince "the masses" to go along with his real plan while using the smoke and mirrors of "values" and "religion" and "patiotism" and "nationalism" to sell an agenda of unneeded war, bad economic decisions, and discrimination against select groups of people that many midwesterners find "icky".
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Similar Threads

  1. Ways to make cycling more popular!
    By JohnnyCat in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 03:40 PM
  2. Replies: 54
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 03:37 AM
  3. 1.3m more Americans in poverty
    By Duane Gran in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 06:30 AM
  4. Farewell to the Gipper!
    By Live Steam in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 10:10 AM
  5. Richard Clarke KOs the Bushies ?
    By MR_GRUMPY in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 12:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.