Things that set me off.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    waterproof*

Things that set me off.

1) The phrase "if it saves just one life" or the anecdote-based approach to selling a policy. Clearly there are many areas where we have consciously chosen to let a certain number of people die, knowing that the benefits outweigh the costs. Sure, there are areas where we got the math wrong, but rarely where just one life is involved.

Oh and btw, nobody gets out of this place alive so it's kind of silly to talk about "saving lives". Really, we're just extending slightly whatever time we have. HTH

2) The phrase "teachable moment". Setting aside it's recent over-use, is this just a meaningless trite phrase that's caught the fancy of the education establishment? Or is there supporting evidence that some moments are better than others, for learning to happen? This one sure has the look and feel of trite overuse coming soon.

3) Clinging to a position when reasonable evidence is against you, or, clinging to a position where evidence is missing, muddled, conflicting or has valid questions as to its reliability. Come on people, we have left the dark ages behind, how about we start using facts to settle things?

4) Blind partisanship, label-throwing, name calling and other forms of broad brush painting. If you're at that level, why not just sack up and concede that you have nothing of value to add to the discussion? Go read the Lounge maybe, have a few laughs instead.

5) Bread and circuses. Shiny things. Ohh look Britney's drunk again. Who gives a flip.

Thanks for reading. I feel better now.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Have a wombat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Always changing.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    1) The phrase "if it saves just one life" or the anecdote-based approach to selling a policy. Clearly there are many areas where we have consciously chosen to let a certain number of people die, knowing that the benefits outweigh the costs. Sure, there are areas where we got the math wrong, but rarely where just one life is involved.

Oh and btw, nobody gets out of this place alive so it's kind of silly to talk about "saving lives". Really, we're just extending slightly whatever time we have. HTH
    I haven't heard that catch phrase in a while. It really sucks and I have seen used many times. Good number one pick.

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    Have a wombat.
    But only if it saves one life.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Have a wombat.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Burning Fists of Love

other hall of fame phrases that piss me off

1)Clean Coal

2)Creative Spelling (although I use it with my skills man)

3)blue dog
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

No Crybabies

saving lives

2) The phrase "teachable moment". Setting aside it's recent over-use, is this just a meaningless trite phrase that's caught the fancy of the education establishment? Or is there supporting evidence that some moments are better than others, for learning to happen? This one sure has the look and feel of trite overuse coming soon.

3) Clinging to a position when reasonable evidence is against you, or, clinging to a position where evidence is missing, muddled, conflicting or has valid questions as to its reliability. Come on people, we have left the dark ages behind, how about we start using facts to settle things?

4) Blind partisanship, label-throwing, name calling and other forms of broad brush painting. If you're at that level, why not just sack up and concede that you have nothing of value to add to the discussion? Go read the Lounge maybe, have a few laughs instead.

5) Bread and circuses. Shiny things. Ohh look Britney's drunk again. Who gives a flip.

Thanks for reading. I feel better now.
    This "saving lives" bit is all about the tradeoffs. No one would suggest we give up cars completely "if it would just save one life." However, if stopping the use of lead paint, when there are plenty of viable alternatives, would "just save one life," well then that might make sense.

Have you heard "coaching opportunity?" I like that one. It's a nice way to say "chewed his ass out."

It would be great if facts "settled things." So, then, is the universe expanding at an increasing rate, and if so, why?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by ttug
    3)blue dog
    Why do you hate Blue? He helps you find things.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't think of any cliches that, on their own, will set me off. On the other hand, particular people using or over-using particular cliches can certainly do it.

I think rational analysis is very good at figuring out some things, but not all, so an absence or muddle of data doesn't always render a position untenable.

I'm thinking you're not a religious guy... NTTAWWT.

haole from the mainland
    It's in God's hands.

Had a friend with a doctorate say that last week. I know she goes to church, but come on! Does she really believe that or does saying release some sort of endorphins. I don't get it.

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMark
    I'm thinking you're not a religious guy... NTTAWWT.
    interesting insight. I'm not, in the usual sense people use the term.

but my worldview includes the possibility that I'm just another idjuct who has no idea what's really going on.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    There is a teachable moment somewhere in this thread and if it saves one life, I will find it.

// there's Brittany/Justin Timberlake opera currently in development in NY. Britney is dieing and Justin returns to win her love back. She spurns him in favor of audience love. I heard about this on NPR.

ab aeterno
    You know who else was against saving lives? Hitler. Are you really going to side with Hitler?

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Why do you hate Blue? He helps you find things.
    Ummm.... Blue is a she.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    Ummm.... Blue is a she.
    pwn3d.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

PRB
    Bibo Ergo Sum
    1) The phrase "if it saves just one life" or the anecdote-based approach to selling a policy.
    Along the same lines..."It's for the children."
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Ummm.... Blue is a she.
    I don't have kids and wouldn't understand......

Opus was just napping
    I don't have kids and wouldn't understand......
    Given your gender confusion it seems a necessary question to ask..

Are you starting to wonder if you should have believed that woman you dated back then when she told you she was supposed to have a penis?

Which begs the question...when you saw the surprise in the Crying Game...did you go. So what is the big deal...don't all women have them?
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush
    Given your gender confusion it seems a necessary question to ask..

Are you starting to wonder if you should have believed that woman you dated back then when she told you she was supposed to have a penis?

Which begs the question...when you saw the surprise in the Crying Game...did you go. So what is the big deal...don't all women have them?
    Wait, what? You mean men and women aren't supposed to have a penis? Damn new math.

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Wait, what? You mean men and women aren't supposed to have a penis? Damn new math.
    That's the real agenda behind equal rights, didn't you know? Doug Sloan needs to worry about the government taking more than his fork.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    That's the real agenda behind equal rights, didn't you know? Doug Sloan needs to worry about the government taking more than his fork.

Thanks for clarifying it ALL makes sense now.

Sticky Valentine

Way to go, Fred... now you're here letting out top secret notes from our Anarcho-Synd.... I mean... Democratic party meetings.

I'm going to have to call Obama on the "Red Phone" and tell him. Nice knowing you.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

No Crybabies

all of us

but my worldview includes the possibility that I'm just another idjuct who has no idea what's really going on.

We all don't have a clue. A thousand years from now, people then will be grouping us with cavemen. There is so very little we really understand, but arrogantly believe that we do, that it's embarrassing. The next time I hear a astrophysicist, for example, talk about "dark matter" or "dark energy" or "dark" anything else, which is just a shortcut for "we don't have a clue what this is but we don't want to admit we could be wrong about a whole bunch of stuff," I'm going to throw up a little. And, if we can be that clueless about hard science, just imagine how clueless we really are about social sciences. We have no idea what we are doing, other than self serving desires for power, wealth, and status.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed
    We all don't have a clue. A thousand years from now, people then will be grouping us with cavemen. There is so very little we really understand, but arrogantly believe that we do, that it's embarrassing. The next time I hear a astrophysicist, for example, talk about "dark matter" or "dark energy" or "dark" anything else, which is just a shortcut for "we don't have a clue what this is but we don't want to admit we could be wrong about a whole bunch of stuff," I'm going to throw up a little. And, if we can be that clueless about hard science, just imagine how clueless we really are about social sciences. We have no idea what we are doing, other than self serving desires for power, wealth, and status.
    If you want any of that then git a goin cause the clock is running.

yellow is mellow
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB
    Along the same lines..."It's for the children."

But where did that come from? Many say it was from the "Peace Love and Understanding" song by Nick Lowe.
    The nail that sticks out gets hammered down

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast