Tim Russert is Playing Hardball this Morning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Soon to be banned

Tim Russert is Playing Hardball this Morning

Man, Tim Russert is hitting hard this morning. Asked King of Jordan "was the war in Iraq a mistake." The King ducked the question, I'm sure the King doesn't want to piss off the US cause he needs our help. I'm very pleased with Jordan's response to the terrorist acts. Hopefully, it will apply some pressure on the other Arab states.

The Republican dance isn't working this morning. Mehlman's starting to look like SNLs spoof of Scottie McClellan last night. Ouch! Tim hit him with the President's "cherry picking of intel," and Mehlman responds with "did Hillary cherry pick, did Bill Clinton cherry pick..." Uh, Mehlman needs to check who's still in office. Bill Clinton?

Oh, now he's hitting him with how Scooter Libby and Rove lied to Scottie McClellan... Tim smells blood... *Right, left, and the uppercut! Mehlman is down for the count!*

Lets see if Dean can stand up to Tim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    Man, Tim Russert is hitting hard this morning. Asked King of Jordan "was the war in Iraq a mistake." The King ducked the question, I'm sure the King doesn't want to piss off the US cause he needs our help. I'm very pleased with Jordan's response to the terrorist acts. Hopefully, it will apply some pressure on the other Arab states.

The Republican dance isn't working this morning. Mehlman's starting to look like SNLs spoof of Scottie McClellan last night. Ouch! Tim hit him with the President's "cherry picking of intel," and Mehlman responds with "did Hillary cherry pick, did Bill Clinton cherry pick..." Uh, Mehlman needs to check who's still in office. Bill Clinton?

Oh, now he's hitting him with how Scooter Libby and Rove lied to Scottie McClellan... Tim smells blood... *Right, left, and the uppercut! Mehlman is down for the count!*

Lets see if Dean can stand up to Tim.
    I usually watch Russert but I'm working this morning, I enjoy his show and he can be persistant and hard in his questions. He also plays softball from time to time when he is showcasing an opinion or event he approves of. The answer about the Clintons isn't really all that evasive. Bush is being accused of cherry picking intel and also of witholding intel that didn't support his policy and intent from Congress. Since the Clintons were Democrats and above reproach and they also made the same arguments the President has made, the question of whether they lied and witheld the same intel from Congress seems appropriate. Russert is decidedly opposed to this war and his shows make that point. That's ok but maybe you should keep that in mind while watching, and give those being interviewed a more open hearing.

The idea that the war in Iraq has broadened the conflict is a loaded argument. What it has done is take the mask off of a situation that was already in existance. The support for these ideas and these groups has been widespread in the Islamic world but it has largely been dealt with quietly and with a great sense of despsration in the ME. All of the ME governments tiptoe around confrontation for fear of being overthrown. That indicates that it is not a minority or all that radical and distant from mainstream Islam today. Perhaps it is time to confront it and see where the world is going to go in the face of it?

Apr 2002
    If you had a medical condition that was chronic but isolated, which would you want your doctor to do?

!) Make it manfest and spread, push it into becoming a full-blown condition, the sooner the better.

2) Keep it under control, manage it, smother it, with a clear "strategy for victory" from the time of the diagnosis.
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    --John Stuart Mill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity
    If you had a medical condition that was chronic but isolated, which would you want your doctor to do?

!) Make it manfest and spread, push it into becoming a full-blown condition, the sooner the better.

2) Keep it under control, manage it, smother it, with a clear "strategy for victory" from the time of the diagnosis.
    Actually, it is the treatment, not the disease that is being pushed. You have to discover how far the disease has spread and then treat it agressively. It does no good to treat your big toe if it is infesting your whole body.

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    Tim hit him with the President's "cherry picking of intel," and Mehlman responds with "did Hillary cherry pick, did Bill Clinton cherry pick..." Uh, Mehlman needs to check who's still in office. Bill Clinton?
    What is he, a high school girl? "Everybody's doing it" isn't a good answer. Not when it drags this country into a useless and costly war.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    What is he, a high school girl? "Everybody's doing it" isn't a good answer. Not when it drags this country into a useless and costly war.
    So you think Clinton and the other Dems were cherry picking and denying the whole truth to Congress as well?

Jun 2004

Well..

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit
    So you think Clinton and the other Dems were cherry picking and denying the whole truth to Congress as well?
    Look, the whole right blaming Clinton for everything is getting tired, and old, and it's just not working for the vast majority of Americans anymore. Just like in a one sided football game that I'm winning, I can just point to the scoreboard, or in this case, look at Bush's polling numbers about the war and what Americans in general think of it.

When it comes down to it, this administration took us to war. Bill Clinton didn't do it. Hillary Clinton didn't do it. Al Gore didn't do it. The Bush administration did it (with approval from Congress). But Congress never said, "Go to War!" They said, we'll OK the use of force if absolutely required. It wasn't required. That's the end of the story. Really.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    Look, the whole right blaming Clinton for everything is getting tired, and old, and it's just not working for the vast majority of Americans anymore. Just like in a one sided football game that I'm winning, I can just point to the scoreboard, or in this case, look at Bush's polling numbers about the war and what Americans in general think of it.

When it comes down to it, this administration took us to war. Bill Clinton didn't do it. Hillary Clinton didn't do it. Al Gore didn't do it. The Bush administration did it (with approval from Congress). But Congress never said, "Go to War!" They said, we'll OK the use of force if absolutely required. It wasn't required. That's the end of the story. Really.
    The constant litany from the right about being misled is wearing a bit thin as well. Clinton is only being used to point to the fact that these individuals supported everything they are now condemning. If you don't understand that, you are just not trying. The accusations of lies is much like arsonists yelling" fire" after they help set one. A little honesty would be welcome from that quarter and then perhaps reminders of former positions taken from information from an administration you approve of wouldn't be needed.

Apr 2002
    Actually, it is the treatment, not the disease that is being pushed. You have to discover how far the disease has spread and then treat it agressively. It does no good to treat your big toe if it is infesting your whole body.
    Defending GWB has become a full-time job for you.

So AQ has infected our entire body? Bull turds! The GWB administration has ineffectively used 9/11 to justify misguided policies. Why were they so eager to invade Iraq pre-9/11; then aggressively used it (and continue to use it) to justify their policies?

The GWB administration is deaf. It's not listening to the American public, as was made clear by Mehlman's responses to Russert today. Check out this exchange:

MR. RUSSERT: But, Mr. Chairman, when you look at what is going on in Washington, in terms of the president's agenda--here's Bob Novak, conservative columnist: "The consequences may be profound"-- talking about the elections in Jersey and Virginia. "As his approval ratings dipped, Bush increasingly has been treated in Congress as a lame duck. The Virginia outcome increases the propensity of Republican senators and House members not only to avoid their president on the campaign trail but also to ignore his legislative proposals."

Social Security: shelved. Drilling in the arctic: shelved. Budget cuts in the House: put aside.

J.D. Hayworth in Arizona said he wouldn't want the president to campaign for him in Arizona. Anne Northup in Kentucky said it wouldn't be a--she hasn't decided right now, but wants to find out whether it would be a good idea. Friday in Pennsylvania, Rick Santorum stayed in another part of the state when the president went up to Wilkes-Barre. And look at these numbers. This is what the voters say. Preference for 2006 congressional candidates, Republican-controlled Congress, 37; Democrats, 48. Our congressional Republicans, "Do they have the same priorities as you for the country?" Same priorities, yes, 24; no, 58. "In which issues do you prefer the Democrats over the Republicans?" Environment, gas prices, health care, Social Security, education, reducing deficits, energy policy, economy, government spending, taxes, trade issues, foreign policy, abortion, immigration, ethics in government, and Iraq--16 of the 19 issues we presented to the people, they chose the Democrats. Your party's in trouble?

MR. MEHLMAN: Tim, usually, when I get a poll like that, I will fire the pollster. That's my response that I usually do to that.
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    --John Stuart Mill

Apr 2002
    The constant litany from the right about being misled is wearing a bit thin as well..
    ???

You must be getting GWB defense fatigue. Hula jawing may be next.
    --John Stuart Mill

Aug 2004

Baseball is a good Analogy for this

Russert was playing hardball? Nice one. It's more like Russert was pitching both halfs of the inning. He had his regular stuff for the visiting team and his b-p stuff for his own team.

Of course the Jordanians and the rest of the world for that matter question the veracity of the US government. The Dems/Libs keep giving Al-Jezeera and the other foreign press all the fodder that's fit to pass along to an un-sophisticated audience. The Dems/Libs will say whatever is politically expedient to re-gain some semblance of power, even if it is counter productive to the general interests of the US.

The only proof that the world/Al-Jezerra needs that the US is a country of liars is the Democratic Party. First they voted for the War and then they used it against the President when they saw an opportunity to make some political head way. So what if it gets US troops killed. The troops are just dumb-ass red-staters that joined up to escape the oppression of the Republican money man.

Yeah, the dems are playing hardball allright. Good for them, bad for America.
    Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Koran, the Muslim book of scripture, should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on Earth.

Omar M. Ahmad, founder of Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrumm
    Russert was playing hardball? Nice one. It's more like Russert was pitching both halfs of the inning. He had his regular stuff for the visiting team and his b-p stuff for his own team.

Of course the Jordanians and the rest of the world for that matter question the veracity of the US government. The Dems/Libs keep giving Al-Jezeera and the other foreign press all the fodder that's fit to pass along to an un-sophisticated audience. The Dems/Libs will say whatever is politically expedient to re-gain some semblance of power, even if it is counter productive to the general interests of the US.

The only proof that the world/Al-Jezerra needs that the US is a country of liars is the Democratic Party. First they voted for the War and then they used it against the President when they saw an opportunity to make some political head way. So what if it gets US troops killed. The troops are just dumb-ass red-staters that joined up to escape the oppression of the Republican money man.

Yeah, the dems are playing hardball allright. Good for them, bad for America.
    So it is the Democrats who are responsible for the war! The truth finally comes out.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    So it is the Democrats who are responsible for the war! The truth finally comes out.
    WE did something good for once-EXCELLENT!
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 1201
    WE did something good for once-EXCELLENT!
    WHEN??? I must have missed it.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    WHEN??? I must have missed it.
    See Brums post Snake--the Dems supported the war-this must be g**d [email protected] ;)?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Room 1201
    See Brums post Snake--the Dems supported the war-this must be g**d [email protected] ;)?
    I think he said they are on the wrong side though. ;)

Aug 2004
    You heard me. GIve an actual response.
    Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Koran, the Muslim book of scripture, should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on Earth.

Omar M. Ahmad, founder of Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)

Jun 2004

What it boils down to..

The constant litany from the right about being misled is wearing a bit thin as well. Clinton is only being used to point to the fact that these individuals supported everything they are now condemning. If you don't understand that, you are just not trying. The accusations of lies is much like arsonists yelling" fire" after they help set one. A little honesty would be welcome from that quarter and then perhaps reminders of former positions taken from information from an administration you approve of wouldn't be needed.
    Clinton et all could have had all of the fiery rhetoric that they wanted, but the simple fact remains. The Bush administration is the one that took us to war. That's the end of the story. It's plain. It's simple, and that's factual. Clinton didn't take us to war in Iraq. Bush did. Also, if you look at the record of Clinton, when he did commit to using American military forces in something for a just cause like Somalia, and Kosovo, the Republicans screamed bloody murder about it, even though it was actually the right thing to do because there was a severe humanitarian crisis going on in those locations. There was a dire need, and the Republicans moaned and groaned about it being mis-use of the military. Did he (Bush) mislead the American public? The more that is revealed, the more that this might be true, I don't think the full story is out yet (Downing Street memo for one piece of evidence, CIA reports saying that they weren't certain of the WMDs of Iraq, and so on), but things are becoming a lot more clear, at least to me, and others. Once again, look at the polling numbers. You ever hear the old saying of, "Perception is reality." So if the American public thinks that Bush lied, then it does become truth, at least in some people's minds. Kind of like how they pushed the non-fact that Iraq had ties to Al Qaeda. There are still a lot of people out there that believe this because of the posturing and lies, yes, lies, of the Bush administration at least on that front. I seem to remember a press conference with Cheney after the 9/11 commission report came out, and he said, didn't matter what the report or the commission found, there were still significant ties to al Qaeda from Iraq. How is that NOT a lie, even with the facts close at hand. The Bush administration has a serious credibility problem right now with the American public at large. If you don't think that, you're ignoring the facts.

And as far as honesty goes, there have been a number of democratic Congressmen and women, who have said things such as, "Yes, I voted for the use of force, and know I realize that was a mistake." If that's not honesty what would you call it? I'm not saying they're all saying that, but there are few out there saying they screwed up in voting for that resolution. I know that you'll probably say that they're playing politics and trying to gain support, and that might be true, but at least they're on record saying, I was wrong. That's something old Bushie will never do, because, damn it, he's never done anything wrong in his whole term and a half according to him.

off the back
    they didn't support anything. yes, there was a resolution passed that called for the US to support regime change in iraq, passed mainly from all the PNAC lobbying of Congress. that does not necessarily mean that you go to war to do it.

and yes, Clinton, and many other members of Congress may have believed that saddam did have WMD's, and may have spoken out about it. that doesn't mean they thought we should invade Iraq because of it. as i recall, Clinton, under the authority of the 1991 gulf war resolution, bombed a few suspected production and storage sites, an act that many irais have since said destroyed the last of saddam's WMD capacity. did clinton have the support of the republicans when he did so? not hardly, they claimed he was grandsatnding to take the political pressure off him in regards to the lewinsky situation. the term "wag the dog" sound familiar?

lastly, congress gave bush the authority to use force if absolutely necessary to force saddam to comply with UN resolutions and to get inspectors back into iraq. not to go to war and invade the country. did it work? yes, inspectors were back in iraq for the first time in five years, searching for WMD's, and guess what? they couldn't find any!

so don't keep telling us that everyone knew iraq had WMD's. that may have been the case in 1998, or 2001, when no inspections could know or verify the fact. but by early 2003, we had new information, we had boots on the ground searching for them. we had UN inspectors going right where the administration told them the WMD's were("we know where they are, they're to the north of baghdad, and east and west of tikrit"-rummy), and still finding nothing.

did the administration take this new evidence into consideration, re-assess their presumptions of WMD's? no, they ignored them, and proceeded to demonize the weapons inspectors, claiming they were in league with saddam. bush said that not going to war after building up the forces and making the threatening talk would make the US appear weak, and so he ordered the inspectors out and began bombing.

there's only one man responsible for going to war withg iraq. and his name is george w. bush. i don't care what someone said about wmd's seven years ago; we had updated information since then. he chose to disregard it, and go to war anyway. did clinton go to war with iraq? john kerry? hillary? al gore? no, only one man made that decision. george bush.

Jun 2004

That is the exact point..

Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    they didn't support anything. yes, there was a resolution passed that called for the US to support regime change in iraq, passed mainly from all the PNAC lobbying of Congress. that does not necessarily mean that you go to war to do it.

and yes, Clinton, and many other members of Congress may have believed that saddam did have WMD's, and may have spoken out about it. that doesn't mean they thought we should invade Iraq because of it. as i recall, Clinton, under the authority of the 1991 gulf war resolution, bombed a few suspected production and storage sites, an act that many irais have since said destroyed the last of saddam's WMD capacity. did clinton have the support of the republicans when he did so? not hardly, they claimed he was grandsatnding to take the political pressure off him in regards to the lewinsky situation. the term "wag the dog" sound familiar?

lastly, congress gave bush the authority to use force if absolutely necessary to force saddam to comply with UN resolutions and to get inspectors back into iraq. not to go to war and invade the country. did it work? yes, inspectors were back in iraq for the first time in five years, searching for WMD's, and guess what? they couldn't find any!

so don't keep telling us that everyone knew iraq had WMD's. that may have been the case in 1998, or 2001, when no inspections could know or verify the fact. but by early 2003, we had new information, we had boots on the ground searching for them. we had UN inspectors going right where the administration told them the WMD's were("we know where they are, they're to the north of baghdad, and east and west of tikrit"-rummy), and still finding nothing.

did the administration take this new evidence into consideration, re-assess their presumptions of WMD's? no, they ignored them, and proceeded to demonize the weapons inspectors, claiming they were in league with saddam. bush said that not going to war after building up the forces and making the threatening talk would make the US appear weak, and so he ordered the inspectors out and began bombing.

there's only one man responsible for going to war withg iraq. and his name is george w. bush. i don't care what someone said about wmd's seven years ago; we had updated information since then. he chose to disregard it, and go to war anyway. did clinton go to war with iraq? john kerry? hillary? al gore? no, only one man made that decision. george bush.
    That is the exact point I was/am trying to make.

Bush took us to war. Nobody else. That's it. He's the end of the line when it comes to decision making, and yes, as we have said before, Congress enabled that, but when it all comes down to it... George W. Bush is responsible for taking us to war in Iraq. He is the Comamander in Chief of the military, and with the backing of Republican lead Congress, he took us to war. End of story.. He's the culprit, and holds ALL of the blame for taking us into a war that we should have not gone into.

banned

Dean chickens out! LOL!!!

Moments before taping was to begin with host Tim Russert, Mehlman asked Dean outside the NBC studio’s green room: “There’s still time for us to go on together Governor.” Dean declined with a shrug of his shoulders and an uncomfortable cackle and then proceeded to walk away into the green room. DRUDGE has learned MEET THE PRESS producers have been working to get a head to head Dean/Mehlman appearance on the program since Dean was named chair back in February. Dean and his handlers have repeatedly turned down the request. The former Vermont governor only agreed to do this week’s program if they appeared in back-to-back interviews.

Mehlman brought up Dean’s unwillingness to appear alongside him during the show: “I was hoping that Chairman Dean would be on sitting next to me this morning. Maybe we can do that on a future program. Look, he's somebody I've enjoyed getting to know. We meet in a lot of green rooms….”

Tim Russert: “We invited him -- do you have a question for him?”

Former Dem Party Chair Terry McAuliffe participated in regular head-to-head appearances with his Republican counterparts during his tenure from ‘01 to ‘05. McAuliffe went head-to-head with Republican chairmen at least five times on MEET THE PRESS alone, going up against past GOP chairs Ed Gillespie (twice), Marc Racicot (twice) and Jim Gilmore (once).

Apr 2002
    It must be because Mehlman the Republican Parrot is so intimidating.

Like our President, Mehlman can repeat the RTPs ad infinitum but he can't process information that doesn't jive with them too well.

RUSSERT: ...16 of the 19 issues we presented to the people, they chose the Democrats. Your party's in trouble?

MR. MEHLMAN: Tim, usually, when I get a poll like that, I will fire the pollster. That's my response that I usually do to that.
    --John Stuart Mill

Not Banned

I almost gagged

Russert tosses Mehlman Roast beef Sandwiches and allows him to go on a 3-5 minute uninterrupted RTP read list. He then pre-loads all his questions for Dean and interrupts him constantly. The bias was so freakin' blatant. Russert usually is a little more sublime in his bias, this was freaking overt.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Apr 2002
    Mehlman was acting as if his party hasn't been in control of the Presidency AND Congress all these years.
    --John Stuart Mill

Not Banned

and they are blaming the Dems

for 'believing W, Cheney and their bad intel'. heck they've even dragged the dreaded, cheatin' Billary into it. "Even Clinton was on board'

which is funny given the post 9-11 Rhetoric. Ya'll remember, you are either with us or FOR the terrosists. Smoking Gun in a Mushroom Cloud. They did a fine job mastering the 'bully pulpit'
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast