Two pieces of red meat for Steam.
    Go Blue

Two pieces of red meat for Steam.

I still hope and believe that Kerry will win it fair and square today. But, Steam, I have two pieces of red meat for you from my voting experience this morning.

I vote in a fairly affluent, but solidly Democratic polling place. When I arrived, there were Bush signs on many lawns facing the school where I vote. My Democratic US Representative votes there and usually is standing in front of the place for the morning rush. Also, there usually is a whole receiving line of campaign worker handing out Democratic campaign literature. The only campaign worker outside the polls today was handing out literature for the Republican congressional challenger and Bush. Although the Democrats should take Maryland, I really begin to worry when the party is so low key.

When I got inside, I was greeted by mass confusion over how to use the new electronic voting machines. The election "judges" did not ask me for any type of identification or personal information when I have them my name -- they just had me sign a paper card and gave me a plastic one to work the voting machine. The potential for fraud was overwhelming. We joke about voting early and often. But, things like my voting experience this morning worry me.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    I still hope and believe that Kerry will win it fair and square today. But, Steam, I have two pieces of red meat for you from my voting experience this morning.

I vote in a fairly affluent, but solidly Democratic polling place. When I arrived, there were Bush signs on many lawns facing the school where I vote. My Democratic US Representative votes there and usually is standing in front of the place for the morning rush. Also, there usually is a whole receiving line of campaign worker handing out Democratic campaign literature. The only campaign worker outside the polls today was handing out literature for the Republican congressional challenger and Bush. Although the Democrats should take Maryland, I really begin to worry when the party is so low key.

When I got inside, I was greeted by mass confusion over how to use the new electronic voting machines. The election "judges" did not ask me for any type of identification or personal information when I have them my name -- they just had me sign a paper card and gave me a plastic one to work the voting machine. The potential for fraud was overwhelming. We joke about voting early and often. But, things like my voting experience this morning worry me.
    Well in my case the MoveOn people were stationed outside. You DID have to show an ID (new state rule) and we used good ole fashioned paper ballots that you blacked in the square you wanted to vote for. Guess it's different everywhere. There were some people holding Bush signs and this large group of kids rode by on their bikes shouting KERRY!. The last one fell hard because he was gawking at the Bush people and broke his derailleur and the Bush people laughed at him while he picked his bike up.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking