Unforeseen aspects of the coronavirus? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    If hundreds of thousands die, particularly if hard choices are made, a strong sense of national moral shame might be present.
    Sadly, for someone to feel shame they must be able to acknowledge their culpability. For Dump* and Cult45, they have proven to be completely incapable of that. They will never feel shame because they'll never believe they've ever done anything wrong.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    At least one good thing might be happening then. This link shows similar maps of China, SK, Italy and the UK. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-air-pollution

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Trump taking credit for perfectly lowering air pollution in a beautiful way, more than any other person in history in 3, 2, 1......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    He won't be able to figure that out. ... too many dots!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I see a move toward more delivery, drive-thru, distance services as we isolate more.
    I just went to the irrigation supply store to exchange some fittings I need for a landscaping project. The door was locked. I had to call them on the phone, leave my stuff on the sidewalk, go back to my car, and the sales guy put the new parts on the sidewalk along with some other things I told him I needed. He basically threw the stuff at me and said, "don't worry about paying. I don't want to deal with paperwork".

It felt like a drug deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    No Way!!!! In a DD, you better be coming up with some money or else.
    BANNED

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I just went to the irrigation supply store to exchange some fittings I need for a landscaping project. The door was locked. I had to call them on the phone, leave my stuff on the sidewalk, go back to my car, and the sales guy put the new parts on the sidewalk along with some other things I told him I needed. He basically threw the stuff at me and said, "don't worry about paying. I don't want to deal with paperwork".

My wife's work just went to curbside service also. No one allowed in the store. Call ahead, or order online and they bring it out to you in the parking lot. Strange days indeed...

Also, on the bike ride today (Monday afternoon, damp, overcast, temp in the mid-40s) the MUT is crazy busy... like a Saturday in summer busy... Fewer people working, schools closed, mixed messages about getting outside and exercising. If this keeps up it will be legitimately difficult to keep social distance on the trail.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

What the what???
    Another one I didn't see coming, but now seems to be a thing: hatred and violence toward Chinese-Americans specifically and Asian-Americans in general thanks, in part, to Dump*s repeated use of the "Chinese Virus". Gee, who would've guessed that would have consequences???

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...minology-white

RoadBikeReview Member
    I predict that a rogue underground market will develop for.............

Hairdressers. I know plenty of people who are vain enough to need their regular styling, even if they are rarely leaving their own homes in these times.

xxl
    Anecdotal, but on my morning walk, I spoke with one of my village's police, and he told me crime was WAY down. In fact, he said it was like Christmas Day.

So, a silver lining.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Im fd.

gazing from the shadows
    Anecdotal, but on my morning walk, I spoke with one of my village's police, and he told me crime was WAY down. In fact, he said it was like Christmas Day.

So, a silver lining.
    People at home and not in public tends to do that.

It also, combined with the stress, will likely increase domestic violence and child abuse.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Adorable Furry Hombre

So, a silver lining.
    Well, reported crime. You generally don't call the police about your packages stolen off your porch...you complain to Amazon or the shipper. Because lets face it--between being petty larceny and the perp driving off minutes after the fact....unless you have an active GPS tracker on the package and a camera and a perp dumb enough not to cover their face---they're home free.

What would be telling, is if Amazon has not seen an increase in reported delivery thefts.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Well, reported crime. You generally don't call the police about your packages stolen off your porch...you complain to Amazon or the shipper. Because lets face it--between being petty larceny and the perp driving off minutes after the fact....unless you have an active GPS tracker on the package and a camera and a perp dumb enough not to cover their face---they're home free.

What would be telling, is if Amazon has not seen an increase in reported delivery thefts.
    Even then you forget that most people are working from home or trap at home now. Packages do not last as long on the porch. It used to be if a package was delivered to my house it could be up to 9 hours before someone was home to bring it inside. Now as soon as it is delievers it is bring brought in and I expect that is even more common now.
    Deliveries are up but so are the number of people home to accept them.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    People at home and not in public tends to do that.

It also, combined with the stress, will likely increase domestic violence and child abuse.
    Exactly. I gotta think that trying to do property crimes is probably pointless now, what with everyone at home, and the businesses that one would want to break into likely having their stuff secured.

Interesting thing about the domestic violence rising: I can see some of this, for sure, especially as cabin fever kicks in, but there will also be households and families that actually benefit from more togetherness (hey, it can happen), so perhaps there'll be some offset--fingers crossed.

I do look forward to a lot of click-bait-level reporting, though, as people take "statistics" and run with 'em, e.g., my neighbor just told me how "domestic abuse calls per day are up 30%" in my city--I pointed out that our city sees about 1,000 DV calls a year, so the daily rate is quite sensitive to changes.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

Wow, you're getting shipping? I've had the last three retailers I've tried to order stuff from tell me they've suspended online.

Besides, with more folks home, how bold are porch pirates really going to be?

xxl
    n=2, but a couple of towns report crime lessening...or at least arrests:

https://www.lmtonline.com/local/crim...f-15143509.php

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...virus-03182020

I'll be curious to see how this correlates by nations, states, etc.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Exactly. I gotta think that trying to do property crimes is probably pointless now, what with everyone at home, and the businesses that one would want to break into likely having their stuff secured.
    Yea I gotta think they'll be way down. Everyone being home waiting for their packages with nothing better to do.

Interesting thing about the domestic violence rising: I can see some of this, for sure, especially as cabin fever kicks in, but there will also be households and families that actually benefit from more togetherness (hey, it can happen), so perhaps there'll be some offset--fingers crossed.
    I just saw this:

California Man Keeps Track of Wife's Interruptions While Working From Home
    Less than a week into working from his home in Camarillo, California, as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, Sarah Azzotos dad, Dave, was already becoming irritated by his wifes interruptions on March 19.

Im having a difficult time Dave concluded after he brought Azzoto through his notepad which tracked the number of times his wife interrupted him over the course of the four days he had worked from home to that point.

Azzoto told Storyful that her mom means well but has been struggling to not communicate with her husband while he is working from home.

She just cant help but to interrupt him whenever something comes to her mind she added.

VIDEO
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Wow, you're getting shipping? I've had the last three retailers I've tried to order stuff from tell me they've suspended online.

Besides, with more folks home, how bold are porch pirates really going to be?
    Monday I made an online purchase. Two hours later I got a message that it was shipped (with a UPS tracking #). Two hours after that I received an e-mail that they were shutting down operations for the time being. I hope that my package actually made it into UPS's hands.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

NSFW

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    I've noticed a lot more flagrant traffic violations lately. Could it be a sort of morbid nihilism?
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

xxl
    Did not foresee this:

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Did not foresee this:

When everyone goes back to work there's going to be a huge increase in dogs going back to the shelter, on the streets, and neglected.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Maybe they are just stocking up on dog?
    BANNED

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    I've noticed a lot more flagrant traffic violations lately. Could it be a sort of morbid nihilism?
    Here (Midwest) the police have made it clear that they won't pursue minor offenses due to the virus. I saw two cars fly past a state trooper earlier today (easily 85 in a 65). No response.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Maybe they are just stocking up on dog?
    Insert bad Korean joke here.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast