Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    banned
    Jul 2018

Unity vs. Diversity

After lurking here for some time I understand that this is a forum of extreme views with both left and right represented. The discussion seems to be focussed on Trump and little else.

In the interests of broadening the discussion, I ask the question, "Should we be celebrating diversity or unity.

The United States seems to be the only country on the planet where diversity is celebrated and a goal.

There don't seem to be any african-french or Syrian-Germans. If you are a French citizen you are simply French, for example.

Over the last century we have mixed to the point where there are few Italian-Americans who self identify that way, or Irish-Americans or Polish-Americans, but Afro-American, Mexican-American, these terms persist.

Is it time to stop celebrating diversity and promote more unity? Aren't we all just 'Americans'?

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Kinda hard to promote unity in an ethnically diverse population when white supremacy is embraced by the King Hater and disenfranchisement of minority populations occurs regularly in a large number of States.

Unity starts with good leadership - totally lacking in AmeriKKKan government today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We should be celebrating Unity through Diversity. This countries strength has always come from it's diversity.

With that said, there is a certain segment of this country that believes in the strength of one culture, one color, and lessening the diversity of the country. They generally are called "Nationalists" and focus on that to make the country great again.

I know a lot of people that identify with their cultural background … whether it be African, Scandinavian, Asian, Latino, etc. but still consider themselves citizens of the United States first and foremost. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyP View Post
    Is it time to stop celebrating diversity and promote more unity? Aren't we all just 'Americans'?
    Yours is a fair question and the majority here (and throughout the nation) will likely answer yes. Then logic would pose a rhetorical question.

What is the obstacle holding the US hostage to falling short of this diversity/unity goal(s) AND what range of alternative(s) best make sense to overcome the obstacle(s) of the difficult issue(s).

For example, is sharing a common sense of core values necessary to maintain a united but diverse society? If so, are we. If so and we are not then why? Another example might be how can people have trust in their government when there is a prevailing awareness --- remember the Bernie/Trump shared declarations they system is rigged? --- government is control by special interest which bunts their government from evolving/reforming given new, modern challenges? Another might be how can we expect us to seek unity when ~50% of us grow without learning in pre-adulthood there consequences of our decisions?
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    We have to celebrate diversity. If we didn’t we would be stuck with some pretty lousy food.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    We should be celebrating Unity through Diversity. This countries strength has always come from it's diversity.
    Heck, I'm pretty sure we even wrote e pluribus unum somewhere...
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

gazing from the shadows
    "Or"?

You present a false choice. Why not both isn't even the question because history shows it is both.

We can celebrate unity. Historically, for every immigrant group over time, by the third generation they are pretty much similar to all Americans. Speak american english, don't speak the grandparent's language, play softball and grill on the 4th, praise the US in many ways, greatest country on earth, etc etc etc. Unity happens. Even 1st and 2nd gen are proud, and love the nature of the US.

People who think assimilation does not happen are not paying attention to history, and honestly I think they are the ones who don't really believe the USA is a great nation.

There has always been diversity as well. Early US culture was influenced in many ways by native americans. Sure we killed them off, but part of them became part of the US culture, in ways not many notice. African culture has been a big influence, asian culture, european culture, native american and latinx culture also. If you know anything about world cultures, you will see bits of EVERYWHERE in the USA. They are not invisible, they MAKE the US what it is.

The oldest mosque in the US, 1930's iirc, is in Iowa. Think about that.

So, false choice given... I take both sides.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Why are there no Nazi symbols or statues in Germany? Not because everyone got all kumbaya. There's strict laws banning them.

Yet here we've got statues and confederate flags everywhere. And of course racism is openly tolerated by government officials.

Kinda makes it hard to unify.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    The United States seems to be the only country on the planet where diversity is celebrated and a goal.

There don't seem to be any african-french or Syrian-Germans. If you are a French citizen you are simply French, for example.
    You have not traveled much have you?

Name the national dish of Germany and England.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post

Doner Kebab and Tikka Masala?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Doner Kebab and Tikka Masala?
    Bingo. You win a burrito!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bingo. You win a burrito!
    Yum ... Tex-Mex food
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    .....Yet here we've got statues and confederate flags everywhere. And of course racism is openly LEGISLATED and tolerated by government officials, AT MANY LEVELS.

FIFY … in cap letters

usually unusual
    Just crossing my fingers and hoping the OP doesn’t start in on ‘blood and soil’...
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Just crossing my fingers and hoping the OP doesn’t start in on ‘blood and soil’...
    .....and the Jews will not replace us.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Was hoping the new thread starter might return with a comment.

I wonder what type of bike SkyP might ride? Must be a Pinarello. He should come down from a Di2 11 speed and hang with those of us Pini fans who have been subjected to street justice and beausage. Some of us have not been handled with Equality and Unity. Ridden hard and put away wet, even though capable of Olympic Gold and ridden by an immigrant.

And we are old enough to have ‘been around the block’ with euphamisms spoken without support action that justifies the high rhetoric.
    Unity vs. Diversity-411114ee-78b1-4ea7-845e-deda00ab35a6.jpg
    Last edited by SantaCruz; 4 Days Ago at 08:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Bratwurst with saurkraut? Pot roast beef and potatoes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post

I wonder what type of bike SkyP might ride? Must be a Pinarello. He should come down from a Di2 11 speed and hang with those of us Pini fans who have been subjected to street justice and beausage. Some of us have not been handled with Equality and Unity. Ridden hard and put away wet, even though capable of Olympic Gold and ridden by an immigrant.

And we are old enough to have ‘been around the block’ with euphamisms spoken without support action that justifies the high rhetoric.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	411114EE-78B1-4EA7-845E-DEDA00AB35A6.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	324348
    Really nice bike. A classic!

So why do you have Pinarello whited out, huh?

This early example gave his bikes their status in the peloton, second to none, like those vintage Ferraris millionaires are buying, so they can experience the passion infused in those things, in many ways better than getting laid.

banned
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    Let's see, why not comment.

One poster wonders if I might be a Nazi.

Another suggests I haven't travelled if I can't name the national dish of England and Germany.

Another wants to talk about the 'King Hater'.

Another claims it's a 'false choice' because we already are unified and diverse, while others claim there is no unity because the government tolerates racism.

In fact, the op pointed out that in most of the world, no one seeks diversity only unity. Why do many in the US insist that diversity is known good while the rest of the world prizes unity above all else.

It seems to me that diversity only relates to ethnicity. A MacDonald's in Idaho looks the same as one in Texas. Macy's looks the same wherever you go. We all pay taxes, use T Mobile or ATT or one of the other carriers regardless of race, religion or creed.

But there does seem to be an unspoken pressure to maintain this thing called diversity as it relates to ethnicity as if true unity was only possible within ethnicity.

Stop using the term blank/American. If you are a citizen you are an American. Promoting the idea that diversity as a goal is a good reason for dividing us by ethnicity is no help in eliminating inequality.

RoadBikeReview Member

In fact, the op pointed out that in most of the world, no one seeks diversity only unity. Why do many in the US insist that diversity is known good while the rest of the world prizes unity above all else.
    I think most of the posts were disagreeing about your basic premise- the idea that "most of the world" (whatever that is) only cares about unity.

Tell a Bavarian that they are only German- indistinct from someone from Berlin. Or tell a Scot that they are only British. Or tell an Okinawan that they are indistinct from someone born and raised in Tokyo. While they may be politically unified with their respective countries, they absolutely celebrate their regional diversity.

Likewise, I have personally done business with many hyphenated Europeans with dual nationalities who both celebrate their diversity and the country where they have come to live.

Since this is a qualitative assessment, there is no real proving or disproving the point, but I think you will have difficulty getting any traction with it here. But keep in mind that in the U.S., those celebrating diversity aren't just celebrating that- they are celebrating that we can unite into a common country with the diversity on top of that commonality.

gazing from the shadows

It seems to me that diversity only relates to ethnicity. A MacDonald's in Idaho looks the same as one in Texas. Macy's looks the same wherever you go. We all pay taxes, use T Mobile or ATT or one of the other carriers regardless of race, religion or creed.

But there does seem to be an unspoken pressure to maintain this thing called diversity as it relates to ethnicity as if true unity was only possible within ethnicity.
    Race, ethnicity and religion have been mentioned.

Your examples of unity are buying stuff from the same companies and following the laws. Care to think about that again? I see it as a shared set of core values, which is not the same as sharing all values.

I don't know anyone who doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving and Independence day. That includes the diverse (national origin, race, sexuality, politics, gender etc) people I work with every day. We all like blowing stuff up. Turkey is on many tables, even of people whose cuisine does not really do turkey.

You know who is the most fervent about their religion? Converts. You know who is SUPER patriotic? Newly minted citizens. They don't take the USA for granted.

Meanwhile, in the anti-diversity sphere: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.10db25787cbc

It’s a story that Shafi, a Republican trauma surgeon, likes to tell because he didn’t believe them. He won the Southlake City Council seat on his second try, in 2014, has since served as a delegate to multiple Texas GOP conventions and, in July, was appointed vice chairman of the Tarrant County Republican Party, located in Fort Worth.

But that’s when his religion somehow became a problem again — in the eyes of some Republican colleagues.

Shafi hadn’t held the position in the North Texas county for more than a couple of days before a precinct chairwoman urged Darl Easton, chairman of the Tarrant County Republican Party, to “reconsider” appointing Shafi to a leadership role, a request that was soon echoed by several other precinct chairs.

“The only reason she had was because he was a Muslim,” Easton told The Washington Post. “That was the only reason she gave.”

Since then, that precinct chairwoman, Dorrie O’Brien, and a small group of her supporters have put forth a formal motion to remove Shafi as vice chairman because of his religion, a motion that is slated for a vote Jan. 10. To Easton, who opposes the measure, the move is an embarrassment to the Republican Party. And to Shafi, it amounts to exactly what he believed did not exist in the United States when he arrived here 28 years ago: a religious test.
    That, btw, is a pretty unamerican action. As is supporting politicians who try to pull that crap.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We are all unified by the human experience... diversity is merely variations on a theme (far more in common than our differences)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Really nice bike. A classic!

So why do you have Pinarello whited out, huh?

This early example gave his bikes their status in the peloton, second to none, like those vintage Ferraris millionaires are buying, so they can experience the passion infused in those things, in many ways better than getting laid.
    Uhh, what kind of seat do you have and where can I get one?
    Last edited by Snakebit; 4 Days Ago at 06:06 AM.

Not Banned
    Unity, through our diversity
    Purebreds have all kinds if issues, mutts rule
    We can celebrate each other's differences and what that brings to the pot.
    That's what makes us great
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Let's see, why not comment.

One poster wonders if I might be a Nazi.

Another suggests I haven't travelled if I can't name the national dish of England and Germany.

Another wants to talk about the 'King Hater'.

Another claims it's a 'false choice' because we already are unified and diverse, while others claim there is no unity because the government tolerates racism.

Stop using the term blank/American. If you are a citizen you are an American. Promoting the idea that diversity as a goal is a good reason for dividing us by ethnicity is no help in eliminating inequality.
    Unity and diversity are mutually exclusive? Sure, because only the Irish get drunk on St. Patricks Day.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast