US urges FIFA not to let russia host world cup 2018
    RoadBikeReview Member

US urges FIFA not to let russia host world cup 2018

US urges FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018 | Stuff.co.nz

Finally an action that is Bi-partisan that I can agree with.
    A group of US senators has written to the international soccer association FIFA, urging it to consider removing Russia as host of the 2018 FIFA World Cup because of its role in the Ukraine crisis and occupation of Crimea.

In a letter dated Tuesday and released yesterday, the 13 Democratic and Republican US lawmakers said they "strongly encourage" the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) to move the global competition.

"Allowing Russia to host the FIFA World Cup inappropriately bolsters the prestige of the (Russian President Vladimir) Putin regime at a time when it should be condemned and provides economic relief at a time when much of the international community is imposing economic sanctions," the senators wrote to FIFA President Sepp Blatter.

Can they now send an open letter to these guys?
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I just can not get into soccer, but... this request makes sense to me... something I could support.

δanned
    In Soviet Russia, ball kicks YOU.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gûl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    US urges FIFA not to let Russia host World Cup 2018 | Stuff.co.nz

Finally an action that is Bi-partisan that I can agree with.
    A group of US senators has written to the international soccer association FIFA, urging it to consider removing Russia as host of the 2018 FIFA World Cup because of its role in the Ukraine crisis and occupation of Crimea.

In a letter dated Tuesday and released yesterday, the 13 Democratic and Republican US lawmakers said they "strongly encourage" the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) to move the global competition.

"Allowing Russia to host the FIFA World Cup inappropriately bolsters the prestige of the (Russian President Vladimir) Putin regime at a time when it should be condemned and provides economic relief at a time when much of the international community is imposing economic sanctions," the senators wrote to FIFA President Sepp Blatter.

Can they now send an open letter to these guys?
    I'm guessing a letter to Gazprom would fall on deaf ears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    I'm guessing a letter to Gazprom would fall on deaf ears.
    I'm guessing Gasprom messaging does the same outside of the USSR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I have I agree with what they are doing.
    Sadly to really make the FIFA listen is to get the sponsors to say if it does not move they will cut all sponsor money for those games. That will make them change their tune really fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think what they are doing is dumb and rather pointless. For one thing, Russia has had claims on Ukraine since day one. They speak the same language and use the same alphabet. NATO trying to wrest Ukraine from the grip of Russia is a bit like the new majority of Mexicans trying to take Texas back to Mexico. Crimea to Russians is like Florida is to the US. These sanctions are a slap in the face on principle, while totally ignoring the issue isn't quite as simple as it looks. The people of Russia aren't going to turn around and fire Putin. They love Putin. He's their man.

Neither will the people of Iran overthrow the mullahs and quit making nuke spinners just because a bunch of rich nations are imposing economic sanctions. The most difficult thing happening at the negotiations is achieving mutual respect, despite grave misgivings by the conservative elements on both sides.

Politics and sports don't mix very well anyway. People go to sports to forget politics. Let the games roll!

Covfefe
    F**k FIFA. FIFA and Putin deserve each other.
    "It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    I think what they are doing is dumb and rather pointless.

Politics and sports don't mix very well anyway. People go to sports to forget politics. Let the games roll!
    Shooting down civilian aircraft deserves a response. Putin is a demagogue and needs to have his face rubbed in sh!t. Him hosting a nobody went FIFA WC would be nice to see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post

not sure Jessie Owens felt that way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by obed View Post
    not sure Jessie Owens felt that way.
    A golden opportunity to humiliate the Übermenschen, and he took it.

How about Joe Louis? Same thing.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Good luck with this. These members of congress are right, but FIFA is absolutely and totally corrupt from the top down. Russia paid good (and probably some bad) money for the 2018 cup and they're going to keep it unless a huge numbers of sponsors take away support.

Meanwhile, the body count stacks up during the building of the infrastructure for the 2022 WC in Qatar. Qatar????? Yes, ****ing QATAR! What a great place to have summer tournament where the average daytime temperature in the summer is 106 F.
    Death toll among Qatar’s 2022 World Cup workers revealed | Global development | The Guardian

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    Good luck with this. These members of congress are right, but FIFA is absolutely and totally corrupt from the top down. Russia paid good (and probably some bad) money for the 2018 cup and they're going to keep it unless a huge numbers of sponsors take away support. [/url]
    I just don't see why the Dutch don't just host another tournament called the freedom cup and invite all the best teams to attend and leave Moscow for the Russians and North Koreans to enjoy. Are the Dutch and Euros really that feckless that a state sponsored shooting down of civilian aircraft is forgotten about for a soccer tourney?