We are finally out of there!! Will they thank us...
    banned
    Jul 2011

We are finally out of there!! Will they thank us...

Or just spit on us like so many other countries we rescued? With almost 9 years of blood and treasure and 4,500+ American soldiers killed in Iraq, do you think the Iraqi people should at least give us a thank you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk-Bone View Post
    Or just spit on us like so many other countries we rescued? With almost 9 years of blood and treasure and 4,500+ American soldiers killed in Iraq, do you think the Iraqi people should at least give us a thank you?
    I think the bigger question is will it change regional politics. If restrictions relax and the people have more freedom to live their lives then it may prove to have been worth it whether they feel they owe us anything or not.

WouldYouCouldYouOnABike
    Jul 2011
    Rescued.

So, by rescued you must mean; demolished their infrastructure, killed 10s of 1000s of their citizens, and threw them into social and political chaos?

RoadBikeReview Member

No

Not only will they not thank us but the country will very rapidly degrade into the cess pool that is was before we wasted 9 years and 4500 dead. Screw Iraq.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarbiker View Post
    Not only will they not thank us but the country will very rapidly degrade into the cess pool that is was before we wasted 9 years and 4500 dead. Screw Iraq.
    No offense to the dead, but technically Iraq was pretty freaking stable before we went in. Husein was a brutal dictator, and brutal dictators tend to keep things nice and orderly.

If stability and order is your goal, overthrowing a long-standing dictator is not the way to go.

But stability and order wasn't really the goal, the goal was to impose american style democracy on a place that never had it.

This seems to have had the catholic schoolgirl effect- go from brutal repression to open and free overnight and yer gonna have problems. Iraq went from repressed schoolgirl to stripper pretty quick. It's gonna take a while to talk them down off the pole. Or, eventually they'll get older, mature and come off the pole themselves. No matter what, they'll never be the daughter GW and Cheney hoped for.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    I think the bigger question is will it change regional politics. If restrictions relax and the people have more freedom to live their lives then it may prove to have been worth it whether they feel they owe us anything or not.
    I would agree with this, but when we "change regional politics" we might not get whet we set out to get. We had this happen in Palestine, they held open election and voted in Hezbollah and the the US and Israel are pissed. Ultimately, I do hope the Iraqi people get the freedom and peace they deserve, but I'm not sure the price the American people paid was worth it, especially going in under a lie.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by emsquared View Post
    Rescued.

So, by rescued you must mean; demolished their infrastructure, killed 10s of 1000s of their citizens, and threw them into social and political chaos?
    You forgot to add that we forgot to march them down to the Tigris and Euphrates river and baptise them. They must be better off than they were before?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would agree with this, but when we "change regional politics" we might not get whet we set out to get. We had this happen in Palestine, they held open election and voted in Hezbollah and the the US and Israel are pissed. Ultimately, I do hope the Iraqi people get the freedom and peace they deserve, but I'm not sure the price the American people paid was worth it, especially going in under a lie.
    Ultimately it will have to be those who made the sacrifice who judge the value of what we did there. I hope it becomes something they can be proud of but we still won't know for a few years.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Ultimately it will have to be those who made the sacrifice who judge the value of what we did there. I hope it becomes something they can be proud of but we still won't know for a few years.
    That is a good point and probably the best way of looking at it.

Ricardo Cabeza
    yeah, we are sooooo out of there

US bases:
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    We should have never been there.