Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 267
  1. #101
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,870
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Because yesterday one drilled out the remainder of a broken tooth.. did a bone graft.. and now my mouth hurts and will for a few weeks.. and I cannot even get my implant for 2 months.. Damn dentist (okay mostly my fault and I love my Dentist.. but he is not the Harley type, more the Popeye type.. he likes boats )
    Protip...download smoothie recipes.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  2. #102
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    34,017
    In answer to what a trade war sounds like, I suggest it sounds like a bag of soybeans, hitting a new low for the decade.

    Cf. https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/soybeans
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

  3. #103
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jimb100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    In answer to what a trade war sounds like, I suggest it sounds like a bag of soybeans, hitting a new low for the decade.

    Cf. https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/soybeans
    Short term pain for long term gain.

    Haven't heard of any farmers hanging Trump in effigy. I would think they have a good handle on what's going on.

  4. #104
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    34,017
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    Short term pain for long term gain.

    Haven't heard of any farmers hanging Trump in effigy. I would think they have a good handle on what's going on.
    In the long run, we'll all be dead.

    How much listening to farmers have you done? They do have a handle on things, and they don't seem too thrilled at being pawns in DONT's games:

    "Here in the largest soybean-producing county in the country, a snowy winter has left North Dakota farmers like Robert Runck with time on their hands before spring planting — time they have spent stewing over how much they stand to lose if President Trump starts a trade war with China. 'If he doesn’t understand what he’s doing to the nation by doing what he’s doing, he’s going to be a one-term president, plain and simple,' said Mr. Runck, a fourth-generation farmer who voted for Mr. Trump."

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/u...-midterms.html

    "John Heisdorffer, president of the American Soybean Association. We reached him on his farm in eastern Iowa. On Monday, he sent a letter to President Trump urging him to modify or reverse his decision on tariffs."

    https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/59406...ations-tariffs

    https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/06/new...ffs/index.html

    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018...2381530553532/

    https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/06/new...ffs/index.html
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

  5. #105
    feh
    feh is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    In the long run, we'll all be dead.

    How much listening to farmers have you done? They do have a handle on things, and they don't seem too thrilled at being pawns in DONT's games:

    "Here in the largest soybean-producing county in the country, a snowy winter has left North Dakota farmers like Robert Runck with time on their hands before spring planting — time they have spent stewing over how much they stand to lose if President Trump starts a trade war with China. 'If he doesn’t understand what he’s doing to the nation by doing what he’s doing, he’s going to be a one-term president, plain and simple,' said Mr. Runck, a fourth-generation farmer who voted for Mr. Trump."

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/u...-midterms.html

    "John Heisdorffer, president of the American Soybean Association. We reached him on his farm in eastern Iowa. On Monday, he sent a letter to President Trump urging him to modify or reverse his decision on tariffs."

    https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/59406...ations-tariffs

    https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/06/new...ffs/index.html

    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018...2381530553532/

    https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/06/new...ffs/index.html
    I don't feel sorry for them in the least. They voted for the Tool; let them reap the rewards.
    What's the Matter with Kansas?

  6. #106
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,870
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    In the long run, we'll all be dead.

    How much listening to farmers have you done? They do have a handle on things, and they don't seem too thrilled at being pawns in DONT's games:

    "Here in the largest soybean-producing county in the country, a snowy winter has left North Dakota farmers like Robert Runck with time on their hands before spring planting — time they have spent stewing over how much they stand to lose if President Trump starts a trade war with China. 'If he doesn’t understand what he’s doing to the nation by doing what he’s doing, he’s going to be a one-term president, plain and simple,' said Mr. Runck, a fourth-generation farmer who voted for Mr. Trump."

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/u...-midterms.html

    "John Heisdorffer, president of the American Soybean Association. We reached him on his farm in eastern Iowa. On Monday, he sent a letter to President Trump urging him to modify or reverse his decision on tariffs."

    https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/59406...ations-tariffs

    https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/06/new...ffs/index.html

    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018...2381530553532/

    https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/06/new...ffs/index.html
    Note how none of those people interviewed say they regret their vote for Trump...nor do they state they're intent to vote against him should he not turn around.


    See their word parsing "we hope he'll listen" (bull cookies), "he's not wrong" (sorry, honey, he is), "we don't want to be pawns" (by implication please dear god let someone else be screwed by this posturing and not us)....They're deluded, and in the end they'll vote for anyone with (R) after their name. They might hem and haw, but in the end they'll re-elect Trump. Trump-landia is mostly empty land filled with 99% Fox News viewers who watch Fox News even at the local saloon.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  7. #107
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Note how none of those people interviewed say they regret their vote for Trump...nor do they state they're intent to vote against him should he not turn around.


    See their word parsing "we hope he'll listen" (bull cookies), "he's not wrong" (sorry, honey, he is), "we don't want to be pawns" (by implication please dear god let someone else be screwed by this posturing and not us)....They're deluded, and in the end they'll vote for anyone with (R) after their name. They might hem and haw, but in the end they'll re-elect Trump. Trump-landia is mostly empty land filled with 99% Fox News viewers who watch Fox News even at the local saloon.
    Listen to their rhetoric. They sound like abused spouses or children. Sadly, it makes sense. They’ll suffer Trump*s abuse; his tirades, his lies, his bad decisions. They’ll blame everyone else (even themselves). But they won’t dare challenge him because in their minds the abusiveness seems like strength.

    And if by some chance he changes his mind and pulls back from the tariffs (when Daddy Donnie* stops hitting them and takes them out for ice cream) they’ll fall all over themselves praising his wisdom and forget all about the stupidity that caused it in the first place.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

  8. #108
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jimb100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,769
    Does anyone here really believe China hasn't been ripping us off for decades? Working hand in glove with American businessmen who care about nothing but money.

    Stealing intellectual property is another of their tactics.

    Don't tell me how awful Trump is. Tell us what we should do.

    And nothings is not the answer.

  9. #109
    off the back
    Reputation: rufus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,594
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    Does anyone here really believe China hasn't been ripping us off for decades? Working hand in glove with American businessmen who care about nothing but money.

    Stealing intellectual property is another of their tactics.

    Don't tell me how awful Trump is. Tell us what we should do.

    And nothings is not the answer.
    How can they be ripping us off when American business willingly gives it to them? Our production facilities didn't just magically pick up and walk themselves over there. A conscious choice was made.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

  10. #110
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,408
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    Does anyone here really believe China hasn't been ripping us off for decades? Working hand in glove with American businessmen who care about nothing but money.

    Stealing intellectual property is another of their tactics.

    Don't tell me how awful Trump is. Tell us what we should do.

    And nothings is not the answer.
    No. I think I’ll keep telling you how awful Trump* is, thanks.

    Sure China has been ripping us off... and we’ve been ripping them off with cheap imports manufactured in sweat shops by employees paid a pittance. You think a trade war is the solution??? So our cheap imports become expensive and decreased demand means those workers can’t even make a pittance anymore. And on top of that, China’s retaliation decreases exports from the US...

    “Nothing” is better than this “something”.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

  11. #111
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jimb100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    How can they be ripping us off when American business willingly gives it to them? Our production facilities didn't just magically pick up and walk themselves over there. A conscious choice was made.
    According to you the Chinese are not stealing intellectual property
    from the US?

    Let me think about that for a minute...….. Nope, wrong, they steal every chance they get. That's called ripping off. You could look it up!

  12. #112
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,870
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    How can they be ripping us off when American business willingly gives it to them? Our production facilities didn't just magically pick up and walk themselves over there. A conscious choice was made.

    Further...esoteric American arcane IP law is only American. Only here can you patent a number or a configuration of atoms, most other places you can only patent a means to an end. Which BTW is why American prescription drugs are unaffordable without health insurance. American monopolies have run roughshod buying the laws they want for years....now they have what they want..wonder of wonders the system is falling apart. The solution? Surely more of the terrible ideas the same people contrived in the first place. Those free markets aren't so wonderful when it is YOU they fire out of a career, but they're great when it is someone else screwed.


    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! We sold our jobs and our manufacturing for $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$.$$ to a foreign power...and now they use it too! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  13. #113
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: jimb100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Further...esoteric American arcane IP law is only American. Only here can you patent a number or a configuration of atoms, most other places you can only patent a means to an end. Which BTW is why American prescription drugs are unaffordable without health insurance. American monopolies have run roughshod buying the laws they want for years....now they have what they want..wonder of wonders the system is falling apart. The solution? Surely more of the terrible ideas the same people contrived in the first place. Those free markets aren't so wonderful when it is YOU they fire out of a career, but they're great when it is someone else screwed.


    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! We sold our jobs and our manufacturing for $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$.$$ to a foreign power...and now they use it too! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
    I agree failure of govt. Under Clinton, Bush and Obama. But, but 2 out of 3 Were liberal Democrats.

  14. #114
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    69,322
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    In the long run, we'll all be dead.

    How much listening to farmers have you done? They do have a handle on things, and they don't seem too thrilled at being pawns in DONT's games:

    "Here in the largest soybean-producing county in the country, a snowy winter has left North Dakota farmers like Robert Runck with time on their hands before spring planting — time they have spent stewing over how much they stand to lose if President Trump starts a trade war with China. 'If he doesn’t understand what he’s doing to the nation by doing what he’s doing, he’s going to be a one-term president, plain and simple,' said Mr. Runck, a fourth-generation farmer who voted for Mr. Trump."

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/u...-midterms.html

    "John Heisdorffer, president of the American Soybean Association. We reached him on his farm in eastern Iowa. On Monday, he sent a letter to President Trump urging him to modify or reverse his decision on tariffs."

    https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/59406...ations-tariffs

    https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/06/new...ffs/index.html

    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018...2381530553532/

    https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/06/new...ffs/index.html
    I guess in answer to the OP, a trade war sounds like a Harley pulling a trailer full of soybeans?

  15. #115
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: love4himies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,496
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    Does anyone here really believe China hasn't been ripping us off for decades? Working hand in glove with American businessmen who care about nothing but money.

    Stealing intellectual property is another of their tactics.

    Don't tell me how awful Trump is. Tell us what we should do.

    And nothings is not the answer.
    With business, it always boils down to money.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

  16. #116
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    34,017
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    Does anyone here really believe China hasn't been ripping us off for decades? Working hand in glove with American businessmen who care about nothing but money....

    Then why hasn't DONT, et al., gone after those American businessmen whose hands are in Chinese gloves?

    Seems they'd be a lot easier to regulate than foreigners.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

  17. #117
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,870
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Then why hasn't DONT, et al., gone after those American businessmen whose hands are in Chinese gloves?

    Seems they'd be a lot easier to regulate than foreigners.

    Because every Republican since Nixon has loved selling American manufacturing to China. Hell Romney was one of the big names who made their fortune doing it--and he was a GOP POTUS candidate. The GOP LOVES dirt cheap labor--the cheaper the better, the easier to abuse the better. Corporate thuggery is what the GOP platform has been about for decades. All the claptrap about "less government", and eliminating consumer protections...that is the reasoning behind the religion.


    Only under Trump's populism is mainline GOP "free markets", that the GOP has worshipped for 30+ years, suddenly a bad thing. And only under Trump's loon populism do tariffs make sense as a way to address it....Meanwhile Trump himself abuses the Visa process to get immigrant labor to staff his resort kitchens, so he doesn't have to pay in-country professionals.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  18. #118
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11,501

  19. #119
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    Pretty sure he's been bitter since....

    Remembering The Tour De Trump, Donald Trump's Failed Bike Race
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  20. #120
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    34,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    I did not know that two-speed hubs were still being made.

    "The latest round targets hundreds of imports and includes many bicycle products and components including cable casing for derailleurs and caliper brakes, bike tires, rim strips, inner tubes, complete bicycles, frames, steel tubing, forks, wheel rims, wheel spokes, alloy hubs, three-speed hubs, two-speed hubs, freewheel sprockets, brakes and brake parts, saddles, pedals, cranksets and speedometers."
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

  21. #121
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Because every Republican since Nixon has loved selling American manufacturing to China. Hell Romney was one of the big names who made their fortune doing it--and he was a GOP POTUS candidate. The GOP LOVES dirt cheap labor--the cheaper the better, the easier to abuse the better. Corporate thuggery is what the GOP platform has been about for decades. All the claptrap about "less government", and eliminating consumer protections...that is the reasoning behind the religion.


    Only under Trump's populism is mainline GOP "free markets", that the GOP has worshipped for 30+ years, suddenly a bad thing. And only under Trump's loon populism do tariffs make sense as a way to address it....Meanwhile Trump himself abuses the Visa process to get immigrant labor to staff his resort kitchens, so he doesn't have to pay in-country professionals.
    Just recently Trump was railing that Americans are "paid too much" and in order to become competitive we need lower wages. That, of course, has been a GOP wetdream for decades - one which they have been slowly achieving (when compared to the cost of living).
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  22. #122
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,870
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Just recently Trump was railing that Americans are "paid too much" and in order to become competitive we need lower wages. That, of course, has been a GOP wetdream for decades - one which they have been slowly achieving (when compared to the cost of living).
    I mean it naturally follows in a capitalist consumer economy that companies would gladly pay high wages for low priced product. I mean, like, duh. How could that NOT possibly work out?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  23. #123
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,921
    Keep in mind that low paid employees cannot afford to purchase the product. Even Henry Ford recognized that a century ago.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  24. #124
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,870
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Keep in mind that low paid employees cannot afford to purchase the product. Even Henry Ford recognized that a century ago.

    So what? We surely know better than Henry Ford. All we have to do is cut taxes lots and surely those dogs-wages employees will keep spending on the credit cards and borrowing against their houses! It has to work!
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  25. #125
    Master debator.
    Reputation: nOOky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,410
    Here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minu...ber-espionage/

    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    According to you the Chinese are not stealing intellectual property
    from the US?

    Let me think about that for a minute...….. Nope, wrong, they steal every chance they get. That's called ripping off. You could look it up!
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 11:15 PM
  2. Bad hub - what does is sound like? How to tell?
    By 007webgod in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 05:56 AM
  3. Does this sound like I'm bored
    By spookyload in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 07:34 AM
  4. does this sound like a scam?
    By piacine in forum Classifieds Feedback - Scam Warnings
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.