What are the undecided still undecided?
    In need of sock puppet

What are the undecided still undecided?

Not looking for rhetoric, but real reasons about why we suppose the undecided haven't committed to a presidential candidate yet?

What = why.
    MPD - moreon posting disorder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are probably undecided because it is not clear if either economic/health care plan by either candidate will work. They are still trying to figure out which one will do the least amount of damage.

Festina Lente'
    They haven't really thought about it yet... and will make the decision in the booth based on gut feelings and other not-so-prime feelings.

nK
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I have no interest in even listening to "undecided" voters. Did anyone see the take on them on the Daily Show?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I was undecided for quite a while - the a few of the many reasons are:
    * neither front runner has a plan that is actually fundable.
    * I prefer the legislative branch and executive branch to be of different political sides, and really don't support super majorities
    * I didn't want to give the democrats some sort of pass for everything that has gone on
    * I didn't want to "reward" the republicans another year in the oval office
    * I don't agree with many of Obama's economic plans that seems to be a re-run of Carter's price controls etc.
    * I don't agree with Obama's stance on the 2nd amendment
    * I don't agree with McCain's (and definitely not Palin's) stance on the Roe v Wade
    * I didn't think Obama was ready to be the commander in chief
    * I didn't think McCains foreign policy philosophy was what we needed
    * I didn't trust McCain (or Palin) to react calmly and reasonably when tested by hostile nations
    * While I agree with Obama's philosophy with the way we should interact with the world; I see much naivete in how things actually work

* I'm sick and tired of all the lies etc, pushing of fear, and disregard of actually doing something for the good of the US shown by both the dems and repubs who are much more interested in keeping and maintaining power for themselves than anything else.

Number 2 on the course.
    Ironic. You point to naivete and unworkable plans, but you seem to be holding out for a politician who has all the answers (that you agree with) and is un-tainted by personal ambition.

Motorator
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    Not looking for rhetoric, but real reasons about why we suppose the undecided haven't committed to a presidential candidate yet?

What = why.
    MPD - moreon posting disorder.
    Neither candidate floats their boat. Obama's a black terrorist muslim; McCain's a dead man walking with a powder-puff imcompetent who's going to step in when he folds and exits stage right.
    Beam me up, baby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Ironic. You point to naivete and unworkable plans, but you seem to be holding out for a politician who has all the answers (that you agree with) and is un-tainted by personal ambition.
    I'd settle for someone that admits they don't have all the answers but will do the best they can; and someone who's sole ambition isn't to only do better for themselves. I would like to think that most all of the politicians started out doing what they actually did think was correct for the country; however I have yet to see a politician seeking a high office that is willing to put the country before their ambitions.

Our system is based on accumulating power, not doing the correct thing. Sorry, I guess I'm just quite jaded against the whole system and even more annoyed because I'd prefer to offer solutions than complain, but I have yet to figure out any solution that is workable in our society.
    However - yes, I'm quite used to people telling me that I am quite naive in even suggesting that the way it is isn't the way it has to be. Heck, even on a lesser scale, I guess I'm naive in thinking that voting for a third party isn't throwing your vote away, and if more people actually voted for whom they would prefer, then they might actually get them.

besides - I only offered reasons for why I was on the fence at one time; not what I actually expected.
    Last edited by bsaunder; 10-26-2008 at 04:34 PM.

You're Not the Boss of Me
    I think most of the posts give "undecideds" way too much credit for being these well-informed politically uncommitted folk.

I think most uncommitted voters, frankly, don't ponder a fraction of what's been discussed here but struggle between the knowledge that the right-dominated, anti-regulatory, evangelical, hyper-"patriotic" (and yes I mean that in quotes) notion of the U-S-A that has dominated for the last 25 years IS NOT WORKING but can't quite feel comfortable with the radical level of change that might be ahead.

McCain feels safe, competent, and experienced to them, and yet they know that the well-trodden path is leading this nation to its demise. Shall we trust the young lefty intellectual? Many minds won't be made up until that quiet moment in the booth.

On the other hand, any lower income working stiff who really believes that the Republican party as current postured has any serious commitment to the working man is deluded. But that's another discussion.
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaunder
    I'd settle for someone that admits they don't have all the answers but will do the best they can; and someone who's sole ambition isn't to only do better for themselves.
    I think you have to assume that politicians are going to do what they think is right and what is best for them and then evaluate which, while pursuing their own interests, will benefit yours.

banned
    Our system is based on accumulating power, not doing the correct thing.
    Sometimes doing the correct thing isn't immediately apparent and sometimes what looks like the correct thing at the moment isn't the best option. Presidents and administrations are tested in many ways just as we all are. Time isn't an endless commodity for them or us. Sometimes a choice has to be made with many questions unanswered, yet a choice has to be made. Sometimes those questions can never be fully answered to enable the best choice to be made. The only thing we can hope for is a unified effort in order to mitigate the damages.

Unlabeled
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaunder
    I * I don't agree with many of Obama's economic plans that seems to be a re-run of Carter's price controls etc.
    It was Nixon, a Republican, who instituted wage and price controls. It was stupid. About as smart as an across-the-board spending freeze.
    Lugged Steel Treks

The Cube
    perhaps because they don't know that the life expectancy for a man is about 74-75. That's to say that a 73 year old man isn't extremely likely to live for four years, especially if he's had recurrent bouts with skin cancer, like McCain. I'd prefer not to see President Palin if the unfortunate would happen to Mc while in office if elected. Biological reality.
    K$

banned
    My father is going to be 90 in three months. He basically has the same condition as McCain. He developed it at about the same age as McCain. So much for advances in medicine.

Soon to be banned
    Barack is untested n00b sauce.

McPain is too damn old...and may have flash backs to Nam.