Why Americans are dumb
    Low rep power

Why Americans are dumb

Does kind of make you wonder......

We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

Call me a Fred
    Now I'm starting to feel a little anxious.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Misfit Toy
    Well, we can't have a picture of a scary man in a gas mask sitting at the check out counter in the grocery store now, can we? Scary pictures do not sell magazines....fluffy stories do.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    A nation of ostriches and lemmings.

waterproof*
    c'mon Saf-T at least credit the source with a link, hmm?
    * not actually a Rock Star

waterproof*
    p.s. - it's commondreams.org, some kind of pro-Occupy progressive org:

http://www.commondreams.org/further/2011/11/26

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's why it's alway nice to have a shortwave radio so you can receive news from other countries to get a different perspective...not saying their perspective is necessarily correct, but neither is ours, and we're putting outselves in a little isolation box when we don't look beyond our own media.

Low rep power
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    p.s. - it's commondreams.org, some kind of pro-Occupy progressive org:

And Some Wonder Why Americans Are So Dumbed Down? | Common Dreams
    Yeah- Faux News probably wouldn't see any problem here
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by saf-t View Post
    Yeah- Faux News probably wouldn't see any problem here
    Meh, there are lots of good reasons besides "ignorance" to print multiple covers.

Besides the obvious problems with CommonDreams assertion (cause and effect are backward), of course.

eminence grease
    As Bruce Kaplan succinctly opined....

You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    That's why it's alway nice to have a shortwave radio so you can receive news from other countries to get a different perspective...not saying their perspective is necessarily correct, but neither is ours, and we're putting outselves in a little isolation box when we don't look beyond our own media.
    I used to tune in BBC world service all the time back in the 60s. But y'know, if you have cable, Al Jazeera is a fine perspective on world events. Interestingly, most of the reporters on the English language service are Americans.

American news services are so worried about ratings, they'll ignore stories that "won't sell." That's just, well, ignorant. I could care less about how many women the Herminator has "had an affair" with. I'd be much more interested in what's happening with the Egyptian revolution, the financial problems of Europe, and so on. On those, we get :30 second sound bites, then move on to in depth analysis of the latest scandal in the Republican party.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 11-28-2011 at 07:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    I used to tune in BBC world service all the time back in the 60s. But y'know, if you have cable, Al Jazeera is a fine perspective on world events. Interestingly, most of the reporters on the English language service are Americans.

American news services are so worried about ratings, they'll ignore stories that "won't sell." That's just, well, ignorant. I could care less about how many women the Herminator has "had an affair" with. I'd be much more interested in what's happening with the Egyptian revolution, the financial problems of Europe, and so on. On those, we get :30 second sound bites, then move on to in depth analysis of the latest scandal in the Republican party.
    A lot of SW broadcast are done in English, but their not Americans doing the reporting, that's real apparent from the way they speak. Obviously Voice of America coming out of other countries are Americans speaking, but most of that news, as is other broadcasts coming from other opposing countries, are attempting to brainwash the foreign listener. But the BBC will from time to time broadcast a similar news event with a different twist to the story then what you hear here.

The problem with Al Jazeera is that they in general hate the Jewish nation and it's people, so all news broadcast that has anything remotely to do with Israel and or it's people will be biased, just as our's, or Israel news will be very biased against Islam nations and their people. So probably the truth is somewhere in between.

It's funny, when America's major news reporting agencies do numerious in depth analysis of the latest Republican party scandal and nothing bad is ever said about the Democrat party, that listeners believe that crap. The news gets a bug up their sleeve and they go crazy, like the Chevy truck side mounted fuel tank scandal that lead millions of Americans believing those trucks were a ticking time bombs only later to be found out the news people falsified the reports.

xxl
    I beg to differ with the OP; I don't think Americans are dumb, at least any dumber than folks the world around. "American exceptionalism" doesn't apply to either end of the intelligence distribution, despite our perceptions to the contrary.

If you buy into the "National IQ" scoring quasi-empiricism of Lynn and Vanhanen*(cf.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...en_(2002,_2006), we Yanks score pretty much where you'd expect us to, clustered around the mean. There does seem to be a clump of Asian countries that make us seem like relative dumb bunnies, but there is strong evidence that those countries all took intensive Kaplan prep seminars combined with strict blood doping regimens, so those scores may be suspect.

I think people forget that not all foreigners are all sitting around reading "Foreign Policy," and discussing what comes after postmodernism, and America didn't invent low-brow culture.

(*I don't, but that's a thread for "Methodology Only," the new forum that's replacing "Podium Girls" here at RBR.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I think people forget that not all foreigners are all sitting around reading "Foreign Policy," and discussing what comes after postmodernism, and America didn't invent low-brow culture.
    I was talking with an Italian friend last night about something along these lines. We were talking about differences between the U.S. and Italy (e.g. how come poor Americans seem to have trash-filled yards, dress slovenly, whereas poor Italians don't really seem to let their appearance & residence go to the shitter just because they don't have money).

She was telling me about her two cousins who dropped out of high school, work blue-collar jobs but nonetheless are well read, travel around Europe, are into "cultured" things, and really the only thing that would mark them out as being "low-brow" is they ONLY speak Italian.

I'm sure it happens here too that a poorly educated person is nonetheless informed, etc. (perhaps some of the posters here?) and not "low-brow" but I confess I tend to think it's a very rare thing.
    Last edited by Dwayne Barry; 11-30-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Big is relative
    BBC World Report and English.Aljazeera balance things out for me as far as news goes. I still find it fascinating how people are so quick to buy into rumors or go with something a coworker said instead of actually checking facts.

When I lived in Hawaii, several of my neighbors actually believed the rumors that earthquakes were predicted for the upcoming weekend. They spent hours preparing their houses for upcoming mayhem and stocked up on bottled water.
    Retired sailor

Low rep power
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I don't think that they are either, but I do think we have a spectacularly limited view of the world, due in part to the fact that we're geographically separated from all but two other countries (about which we don't seem to know a whole lot). My guess is that Europeans, as a result of proximity to other countries, are more likely to know what's going on within a thousand mile radius.

I do believe that the news media in the US has dumbed down significantly over the past 25 years or so, with the result that we're fed all kinds of inane crap rather than substantive information

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Well, we can't have a picture of a scary man in a gas mask sitting at the check out counter in the grocery store now, can we? Scary pictures do not sell magazines....fluffy stories do.
    Maybe the pictures reflect the difference between our subversives and theirs? Have you seen the photos of them and our OWS hippies contrasted?